Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Wellbutrin - Experienced - A Hallucinogen? 1,000 mg

XRufio84X

Greenlighter
Yep.Wellbutrin. I,m prescribed it for depression. I was very depressed one night and took 1,000 Mg. All of a sudden I started seeing like little specks that we're merging together and moving around! It was a swarm of little specks. Now get this, I touched the swarm because it wasn't coming after me and they started moving on my hand like ants! I'm NOT making this up. I then was curious and entertained rather than afraid because when I controlled my vision and was AWARE of them, they went away. Now I'm like "What else can I make happen with this Wellbutrin in me." I used to be very interested in Psychedelics, like, 10 years ago. I took any Psychedelic. Bad, I know. Anyway's, I decided to go down stairs into the family room which is right by the kitchen. I could'nt speak right (slurring really bad) and sat on the couch, turned on the T.V and chilled. Everything was moving! i didn't even have to stare at it long enough for it to progress it's form. went back to watching T.V and i started hearing voices! Like actual words! Nobody was home and sounded very close. I'm tripping out hard but retain a positive mental state. I go back to the T.V and not long after, I see, out of the corner of my, a girl sitting at the kitch table. She was in color and i just kept staring ( without looking somewhere else because the hallucination would go away. She Started then vanished. WTF right? I look around and here the voices again. i was freaked out by it so badly but still didn't let fear settle in. I can't recall what the words were but the voices i just talked about was a CONVERSATION WITH A MAN. once again sounding like they we're in the kitchen sounding so close to me. Honestly? I don't remember the rest. :/ but the event I had lasted a whole other 24 hours! That's another story though. Anyway, there you go. If you take enough Wellbutrin this happens. You can definetly hylucinate or however you spell it. Done. Stupidist thing I've ever done. I was acting like a schizophrenic. Peace, and DON't DO THIS. I'm lucky I did'nt have a seizure or worse.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_wellbutrin
substancecode_bupropion
substancecode_antidepressants
substancecode_pharms
explevel_experienced
exptype_negative
exptype_difficult
exptype_overdose
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds hellish and yeah, you could have been in a whole world of worse hurt on an OD of a stimulating AD. Props for living through it.

That's for sure. I thank God I didn't have any negative side effects. The only really scary thing (everything else was like a mixture of entertainment and being jumpy,) was the girl. I forgot to mention the girl at one point SCREAMED until it sounded like a witch. Never NEVER been that freaked out.

The only really scary thing (everything else was like a mixture of entertainment and being jumpy,) was the girl. I forgot to mention the girl at one point SCREAMED until it sounded like a witch. Never NEVER been that freaked out.

I would not have coped with that.

omg I took wellbutrin and I went into a rage and then i kept hearing people trying to break into my bed room and i kept telling everyone to shut up because they were going to kill and rob up and then i started throwing shit and was very very angry,.,, I dont ever want to see that drug again i was in a rage and listening to music in my head for hours along with people outside my door talking about what they were going to do and they i could see shadows of there feet under the door i was scared as fuck and my bf kept saying just listen to the music it will be ok and i was like wtf there is no music im going crazy its in my head and then i would yell at him to call the cops and he took my cell because i kept trying to call 911 because i could hear they were about to bust in and kill me...

worst night ever, I told my doctor and he looked at my like i was making it up.... I do not ever want to go through that again.

This WAS nothing like a stimulant hallucination to where i saw shadow and occasionally heard something. No They were loud and clear and the music was blasting it was so scary and the worst part is on stims i usually think to myself i took the stim so im fine but with this psychosis I had no idea what the hell was going on and i couldnt relate the medication to my mental state i could not tell the difference from reality at all.

I never took it again and i have never gone through that ever again. I hate that medications. shudders... just sharing my experience hope it helps.

Wellbutrin is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor so in high doses i guess it could cause the same hallucinations as say methylphenidate. I have taken wellbutrin on and off for years as a anti-depressant and it works better then any other one Ive tried. I would never take it to get high though. That's asking for a seizure or worse.

it happened to me and i took it one time prescribed dose of 300mg worst night ever

Thank you everyone for the replies and at the very least helping me realize I'm not the only one who had that experience. How stupid was I to think taking that much of an Anti Depressant wouldn't have any bad side effects?! I actually ended up having a seizure 2 days later and brought to the ER! I was eating dinner with my parents (Thank God they were there) and then got up, went to the fridge and don't remember ANYTHING until I was half way to the hospital, on a gurney in the back of an ambulance. My mom was quick enough to catch my head but I have bruises and almost cut my little toe off having it lodged under the fridge. I COULD HAVE DIED!!! I'm quite ashamed of myself. I hope this helps/helped somebody who has thought of or is thinking of taking anti depressants to hallucinate or get messed up. Wow...what an eye opener. I don't want to imagine what would have happened had I been by myself...

I think most people would say you poisoned yourself. Only hallucinations on serotonenergic stimulants are typically thought of as recreational. As for Welbutrin, an antidepressent with some other uses, most wouldn't say that any dose is recreational. I was just about to write that you should've had a seizure at that dose before reading your post (you did). Anything above 450mg is considered seizure territory. Find something more safe to abuse if you're going to go that route.

Seems to me it would do some good to read my last post again. Everybody learn from the dumbass decision I made. I'm warning others to NOT double up on an anti depressant as if it were Vicodin or Xanax, etc. I SHOULD HAVE DIED! My naivety on Anti-Depressants caused my impulsive decision. I wasn't trying to "abuse" the Wellbutrin nor was I trying to get a buzz or whatever...I was genuinely extremely depressed and made a stupid decision by doubling up, so I wouldn't feel the way I did at the time. That's not as important as what I'm trying to get across though. I've looked through many of the posts on this site after I had this unintentional scary as hell experience. I saw that others have done the same if not worse with Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor, Etc. Many experiences on Erowid as well! Be safe and realize (unlike I did) NOT to mess around with your dosing when it comes to these types of meds! I didn't share my experience to say "Hey look what THIS does and how awesome the trip was." Please, I don't want ANYBODY to experience what I went through, with the insanely vivid auditory and visual hallucinations....and the seizure I had...I don't wish this on anybody.

You should not have died you just made a stupid mistake, when people are rude fuck them :)

You said you learned so awesome your no planning on it again... Thanks or coming back for the follow up, I'm sorry you had a seizure... Lesson never mess with antidepressants....

Welbutrin is not a psychedelic. Of course, most types of psychiatric meds will create some kind of psychoactive effects/delerium/sickness if misused.

Just because you can, does not make it a good idea.

I forgot to mention the girl at one point SCREAMED until it sounded like a witch. Never NEVER been that freaked out.

what. The. Fuck. I would've shit myself. That's enough to induce a seizure right there.

I took Bupropion for a period and I hated it. I had the most violent, lucid nightmares Ive ever had. Woke up screaming, kicking, etc. i actually kicked the wall next to my bed and nearly put a hole in it... It hurt like hell.

Wellbutrin made me feel like a nervous depressed wreck when i took just a low prescribed dose. I can't even imagine overdosing on it. I would have called the er.

This morning I took 1,000 mg of it and had the worst day ever. I felt weird and dizzy all day and could barely focus my eyes. I couldn't remember anything at all. Sometimes I couldn't even finish a sentence. Later in the day I had panic attacks and couldn't stop yelling at people. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

I also took 1,000 mg of Wellbutrin in October of last year, and it was a really bad experience. I don't know how you took it, but I took 75mg pills in twos or threes over about (maybe) several hours. I had read it was something that got you "high" and I was like, "Oh, I have a bunch of those." and I took them. My depth perception was off and I saw some shapes/figures in my room after I had shut off the light to try and sleep it off. The hard pert about that was that whenever I closed my eyes, it felt like there was someone shaking my bed, and I got angry because I wanted to sleep. I think I named this imaginary person Jeff. I can't remember, it was long ago. Anyway, it was not good, and I would advise everyone not to do it because my doctor says that I'm lucky to be alive and not many people have come back from taking that big of a dose. I think he was interested in it because he never had seen anyone take that much, but had only heard about it and wanted to know what to take notes on.