• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids First Time Shooting, Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carfentanil

Greenlighter
Hello.

Tomorrow I will be attempting to shoot for the first time. As I cannot find any dope around me, I will be IV'n Dilaudid.
I'm buying one 8mg pill and to play it safe, I am going to start with 2mg of it.

Why I am on here today is because I have a few concerns that maybe someone can help me with.
1. Am I hitting correctly?
- I have practiced a few times with a needle just hitting the vein with negative pressure on the plunger. I can manage to pull 30 units or so at a time into it.
2. Are the needles I'm using... the right ones? Or will they at least work?
- I have BD Ultra Fine II: 1cc, 5/16", 31 gauge needles

I know to not heat pills, but to just use warm to hot water because the opiate is quite water soluble and the binders and fillers aren't.
And will it do a lot of damage if I use just cotton as a filter a few times? I know a micron filter is preferred, but for now this is all I have.

ANY sort of insight that anybody can give me would be very, VERY appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

Use sterile "equipment" everytime, sterile water, clean iv site. What is your opiate "history" like ? J/W because 2mg isn't a whole lot ! Maybe with no tolerance but i take it you have used opiates in the past.

It may completely change your priorities in life. It may turn you into a compulsive, uncaring person. It may destroy you and your interpersonal relationships. It may become the only element of importance in your life.

All of my past history has been with pills.
I have had an off and on habit of sorts for about a year.
Most days, I go through 100-200mg Hydrocodone, through CWE.
I have had Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) many, many, many times in the ER. Always 1mg at a time though and no more than 3mg within one visit.

Thank you, Jackie. I am aware.

But, I'm going to try this tomorrow and I'd just like to know all of the harm reduction tips that I could possibly cram into my head between now until then.

If you only do it a few times, you should be fine. Just don't make a habit of shooting pills without a micron filter. Those needles are not the right ones. You want a half inch needle and preferably 30 gauge or 29 (the reason being that 31 gauge needles are so fine that you run the risk of them breaking).

The needles that you have are ideal for hitting veins in your hand but not long enough and too fine for your arms. That doesn't mean you can't still use them, it just won't be as easy as if you had the proper needle. Some veins in your arms will be too deep for those needles and you are going to need to stick the needle in all the way. I have managed to hit arm veins with them, and many other types of inappropriate needle but if you are having a hard time, I would suggest switching to a 30 gauge .5 inch needle with a 50 cc barrel. The size of the barrel doesnt matter much, a smaller barrel just gives you more control over the amount of liquid you inject at a tiime.

Sounds fine to me.. if you do it the way you're explaining to us you should be fine.

But let me make it clear that you don't want to do it. After you shoot up, you will always want to use needles which will make it a lot more likely for you to become addicted to opiates or drugs in general. It's not a good idea, but I understand because I did it too. Just be careful.. really careful.

Don't use warm to hot water. You should be using room temperature water. What is your water source?

Ok, room temp water.
So, just shake and stir?
And my water source will be bottled watered, boiled first to sanitize.

Heirarchy-of-water-for-injection-safety

http://www.exchangesupplies.org/shopdisp_P101.php?page=see

Thought this might be a useful thread to help counter the popular myth that bottled spring water is safer to inject than regular tap water. This issue has been thoroughly researched by harm reduction services across the world, and the following has been published by Exchange Supplies. This advice was written for the UK, however it applies to basically all countries in the developed world, who have standards in place on the treatment of drinking water.

Hierarchy of Water Risks (Safest to least safe)

1) Unopened ampoule of sterile water

The 'gold standard' for safety, an ampoule of water for injections means that the water used for dissolving the drugs isn't going to be the source of viral or bacterial infection.

2) Boiled water

Boiling water in a kettle will kill virtually all organisms, and using boiled water from a kettle is the advice to injectors who do not have an ampoule of water for injections.

Although it is true that to guarantee that even the most resistant pathogens are killed the water should be boiled for several minutes, in practice the additional benefits are few and advice to boil water in a pan is problematic because:

* the water takes time to cool, and could become contaminated during cooling;
* the pan or lid used to boil the water could be contaminated; and
* the advice is unlikely to be followed, and there is a risk that injectors will take the view that if they can't follow the advice, then they might as well not bother doing anything because they are taking a risk anyway.

3) Kitchen tap - cold water

The reason the poster differentiates the kitchen tap from other taps in the house is that the kitchen tap is usually fed from the rising main which, in the UK, is usually virtually or completely free from bacteria.

Water from bathroom taps may have been stored in a cold water tank in the roof where it can become much more contaminated with bacteria: not a problem if you're drinking it, the acid of the stomach is able to kill low levels of bacteria without a problem, but not so good if the water is being injected.

4) Bottled water

The constant advertising and marketing of bottled water has created a strong perception in the public psyche of it as a pure, safe source of water that is better than tap water.

Certainly in the UK it is open to debate whether this is true in terms of drinking water – the UK has a very good safety record for our drinking water which is pure and free from contamination. But for use as a liquid for dissolving drugs for injection, there is no debate: tap water is almost always better than bottled water because the bacteria count will be lower. The bacteria count in bottled water is much higher than in tap water, and varies according to the temperature at which it is stored, and can be very high if someone has drunk the water from the bottle.

This is not to say that the bacteria in bottled water are harmful if drunk – the acid in your stomach is perfectly well able to kill bacteria at these levels, however when injected intravenously, they can cause infections.

Distilled water

Distilled water is boiled and then condensed to ensure it is free of all minerals, and people could be excused for thinking that it might be sterile. However, the end use of distilled water is in machinery and there is no requirement for the water to be clean in terms of bacteria count. Indeed the condensing plates and bottling plants are often low tech, and dirty.

5) Hot water from a tap

The water in a domestic hot water tank is not hot enough to kill all bacteria. If the tank has been warmed and cooled, the bacteria count can grow.

6) Toilet water

It could be argued that pointing out the dangers of drawing water out of a toilet is stating the obvious, but having it there – and not at the bottom of the list – makes the point that the other sources of water below it are *really* dangerous.

There was some debate in the drafting process about whether the harm reduction advice to take water from the cistern rather than the bowl, but we didn't for two reasons:

* firstly, most public toilets have the cisterns secured and inaccessible; and
* secondly where people can access cisterns they can usually access a tap.

7) Puddle water

As with toilet water this is on the poster to highlight the serious nature of the risks associated with water that could be contaminated with blood.

The advice to catch rain water instead was suggested by homeless drug users, who described it as a harm reduction strategy they had developed.

8) Part-used ampoule

Many injecting drug users underestimate the risks of sharing the source of water that they use for preparing their drugs for injection.

Because ampoules of water for injections 'feel' medical, safe and sterile, injectors will sometimes choose to take water from a part used ampoule. Clearly this carries a very high risk of viral infection (hep C, hep B, HIV), and this is highlighted by the position of the opened ampoule below water from toilets and puddles.

9) Shared cup

Too often when there is a group of injectors together in a room, the source of water used for preparing drugs for injection, is a single cup of water.

Sometimes this same cup is used to draw water to clean injecting equipment, and to repeatedly draw water to prepare drugs for injection.

This presents a significant risk of blood borne virus transmission, and one of the key functions of the poster is to highlight this risk and danger - which many injectors are not aware of, or underestimate.

There was some debate during the peer review process as to whether the ampoule was higher risk than the cup, but as the ampoule has a limited volume it is unlikely that it could have been contaminated by more than one person, whereas the cup could have been contaminated by many – hence it's position at the bottom of the table.

I use a clean shot glass. Use the syringe to measure out the water so that you don't end up with too much in the glass requiring multiple shots. You probably want 1/2 to 3/4 of the syringe filled. Stir up the shot in the shot glass (brings a new meaning to the name of the glass), filter, shoot.

The thing that I'm worried about the most is not getting it in or missing the vein.

<=S

The thing that I'm worried about the most is not getting it in or missing the vein.

<=S
When your holding the syringe try to hold it as close to the end by the plunger so that when you hit a vein you can reach the plunger to register by pulling back and be able to reach the plunger to push it down with out moving your hand and risk the needle falling out of the vein...

Shooting yourself up is not as easy as it seems also using the hand that is holding the syringe rest your pinky on your arm as you register with the plunger it helps me keep it steady...

I really wish someone had told me these things lol use a clean cotton and do not use faucet water also you c an use the sterile cap of the syringe instead of a spoon which could have bacteria... And if you miss more than twice change syringes because if you keep poking with the same syringe you will make your arms look like shit and scar the hell out of your veins.

When your holding the syringe try to hold it as close to the end by the plunger so that when you hit a vein you can reach the plunger to register by pulling back and be able to reach the plunger to push it down with out moving your hand and risk the needle falling out of the vein...

Shooting yourself up is not as easy as it seems also using the hand that is holding the syringe rest your pinky on your arm as you register with the plunger it helps me keep it steady...

I really wish someone had told me these things lol use a clean cotton and do not use faucet water also you c an use the sterile cap of the syringe instead of a spoon which could have bacteria... And if you miss more than twice change syringes because if you keep poking with the same syringe you will make your arms look like shit and scar the hell out of your veins.

Ok, Kayla and Tricomb. Thank you.

Any other words of wisdom that I should know.
I'm all about the harm prevention, especially for my first time and especially shooting a pill.

If you don't use your pinky to hold steady the needle will slip out so easily. I'm really stressing this because when I first started I thought piece of cake needle arm register done but noooo every wrong move the needle slips out or the vein moves...

If your veins are good and pop out I do not suggest tying off because when you try to release the belt te needle will move an you will be pissed. So if you can try to just shoot with out using any thing to tie off.

What works for me take a warm-hot shower run the water on the arm you will use. Then cup your hand on te counter of where ever and turn your arm out and make it really straight and this will make it to we're you don't move your hands or twitch and make the vein move.

Then proceed to inject how I told you. Also remember hold the syringe closest to the plunger so that you can use your thumb to flick the plunger up to register blood to make sure you hit a vein and then reach with the same thumb to push the plunger down also stop immediatly if you feel burning and try to register again and make sure blood shoots back and that you are still in the vein. Sometimes while injecting you can move the needle a bit and go straight through the vein so half way through registering again is not a bad idea.

dilaudid isn't a safe choice for your first IV, it's a very potent and reasonably dangerous opioid. I would recommend you try plugging some before you make a big mistake and go down the path of IV use.

Status
Not open for further replies.