• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Blacklight shows veins to hit easier

blackjesus

Bluelighter
A friend was telling me about these lights they are making, dunno if they are blacklights or Infrared lights or what but basically it illuminates your skin to make it easier for healthcare to hit you with a needle. My friend said tho, that you can make one yourself, and i was wondering if anyone has made oen before or knows how and can suggest a website with a TEK or some info in this thread for future searchers.

for reference here is one that i actually had'nt seen before: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/02/08/b...nator-for-getting-an-iv-up-in-total-darkness/

but that is what im talking about

edit: this is the one im talking about seems best for my purposes, its just LED or infrared? Someone with an electrical background chime in on this couldnt be hard at all to make one of these,

http://www.veinlite.com/pics/Veinlite-PEDI-Flyer-0806-Lo.jpg

now that i think about it wouldnt a 10LED red toy light from the 99c store do the same thing if infact theres no infrared or special light wave necessary?

Last edited:
I have the Veinlite, bought it for my girlfriend. It actually works pretty well, especially when you turn off all the lights. We've definitely found some veins that have long since been covered in scar tissue and vanished. It's pretty cool. Amazon was selling them for like 200 bucks. They make other types of vein finders that are even better but they are much more expensive.

These look like they are just high intensity red and orange LEDs. Shine them "through" the skin and since your blood vessels absorb more red light than the surrounding skin and fat tissue they appear visible as dark red streaks.

This is similar to 'candling' an egg, or the machines that measue blood oxygenation by shining a light through your finger.

The human eye doesn't respond to infrared light. At least not anything but the VERY near IR, which is basically just a harder-to-see red. Nor does IR make things fluoresce - that's UV light. UV lights don't make your veins glow anyway, they'll just make white clothing glow and eventually give you a sunburn if you expose your skin long enough.

The "military" versions of this would probably have IR LEDS just because you don't want medics revealing their position by essentially lighting a flare next to every casualty.

Anyone with a small amount of electronic knowledge could build one of these from about $5 of parts. It is literally just a flashlight with red and orange lights selectable.

electrical knowledge is specifically what im looking for. High intensit LED lights can be had on ebay a plastic coating and a magnifying lense to shine against? i donno how hard it'd be to make one but i think im either gonna get one or try and build my own

You shouldn't need a magnifying lens. The LED's are already pre-lensed.

All you need is a high intensity LED, a 9 volt transistor battery plus clip attachment, and maybe a 10 or 20 ohm, 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistor.

"Long leg" of the LED goes to one end of the resistor. Twist them together and solder. Other leg of the resistor goes to the red wire on the battery clip (positive). "Short leg" that is by the flat side on the LED casing goes to the black wire on the battery. (negative)

Make sure there are no short circuits, you can insulate the metal bits with electrical tape.
Plug the battery in and shine the LED against your skin.

blackjesus said:
Blacklight shows veins to hit easier

It's a high-intensity LED, not a black light. A black light has the opposite effect, many of the public toilets where I live actually have black lights installed in order to prevent people from finding their veins. I guess they figure if people have difficulty injecting they won't use the public toilets to inject drugs? :sus:

You shouldn't need a magnifying lens. The LED's are already pre-lensed.

All you need is a high intensity LED, a 9 volt transistor battery plus clip attachment, and maybe a 10 or 20 ohm, 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistor.

"Long leg" of the LED goes to one end of the resistor. Twist them together and solder. Other leg of the resistor goes to the red wire on the battery clip (positive). "Short leg" that is by the flat side on the LED casing goes to the black wire on the battery. (negative)

Make sure there are no short circuits, you can insulate the metal bits with electrical tape.
Plug the battery in and shine the LED against your skin.

There are also some helpful calculators for determining the amount of resistors you may need (essentially just using ohm's law) by determining how many LEDs you want to use in parallel or series. I would recommend using some kind of PC board where you can arrange the LEDs and resistors in an organized fashion and then just attach a battery to it.

You can go to radioshack and get everything you need including a basic soldering iron, pcb, resistors, leds, jumpers, solder, etc. I would argue that LED quality is important, there are LEDs that are just shit and won't last very long in this kind of setting, also that you want LEDs with a narrow viewing angle and high output, these would be best purchased on the internet.

Ive never used or built one of these by the way but the info should be relevant anyways.

These look like they are just high intensity red and orange LEDs. Shine them "through" the skin and since your blood vessels absorb more red light than the surrounding skin and fat tissue they appear visible as dark red streaks.

This is similar to 'candling' an egg, or the machines that measue blood oxygenation by shining a light through your finger.

The human eye doesn't respond to infrared light. At least not anything but the VERY near IR, which is basically just a harder-to-see red. Nor does IR make things fluoresce - that's UV light. UV lights don't make your veins glow anyway, they'll just make white clothing glow and eventually give you a sunburn if you expose your skin long enough.

The "military" versions of this would probably have IR LEDS just because you don't want medics revealing their position by essentially lighting a flare next to every casualty.

Anyone with a small amount of electronic knowledge could build one of these from about $5 of parts. It is literally just a flashlight with red and orange lights selectable.

Thumbs up I fucking love you lol, didnt think about building one

I had a class in HS that was a cross between physics and electronics, we made alll kinds of lights and little sensor things, dumb question but you all think rudimentary electrical skills would be able to make this?

Like I said, this is literally one of the simplest electronic circuits ever. It's at high-school level.

This is essnetially a hard-wired flashlight. The only reason I suggest t add a resistor is because some LED's will just catch fire if you put them directly to a 9volt battery.

If you are more experienced with electrical hackery, try replacing the LED's in a LED flashlight with red/orange ones.

Oh man I need one of these, I have deep veins and they're a nightmare to hit.

Hey guys, just wanted to wrap up my thread here. I ended up buying a vein lite from a seller off ebay for $20.00 i havent recieved it yet and might do a write up for HR's sake when i do recieve it.

the link for a purchase here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261020440985

That's not actually a Veinlite. It's a vein illuminator..a cheap one, however it may still work. But the Veinlite is a brand name for an actual device that many paramedics use. http://www.veinlite.com/

this is crazy i didn't know such a thing existed lol

fortunately i'm pale and my veins buldge out so I don't need one, but still fucking cool nonetheless

I want something like this as well. After an injury, the veins in my other arm are completely invisible from above the skin. I did a little research into it, and apparently you need LEDs that are very near the IR spectrum. I forget the exact wavelengths but they are somewhere in the order of 640-<800nm. I don't have the technical expertise to build one, but I am definitely going to try and find a friend to build one for me. There are cheap versions of these on eBay, costing around 20 dollars but I have never had the chance to try one.

Bumping this thread too in case someone has figured out a way to build these yourself, or has come across some useful information about the process. HR-wise, something like this would save a LOT of veins.