• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Reversing adderall neurotoxicity in an adolescent?

anonamiss

Greenlighter
Based on what I have read, these are helpful supplements in reducing the neurotoxicity from amphetamine abuse;
Acetyl-l-carnitine arginate
Methyl B12
SAM-e
Fishoil
Magnesium
(Antioxidants?)

My question, however, is specifically pertaining to reversing amphetamine neurotoxicity in an adolescent?
My situation is someone in high school who has only abused adderall approximately 10 times- the doses, however, have been always been around 120mg XR.

The first 9 (or so) times of taking the 120mg Adderall XR, they just stayed up all night and crashed the next day. Never really redosed- and each abuse incident was done with AT LEAST a weeks break. The first time they took 120mg XR, they waited 3 weeks. Then they waited a month to take 120mg XR again. The next week, another 120mg XR was taken, and the next week was the same. Then a week and a half later, 180mg Adderall XR was taken, and another week and a half later, 150mg XR was taken- that was 3 days ago.

About 15 hours after taking 150mg Adderall XR, 75mg of Seroquel was taken, and 2 hours of sleep was achieved. They slept the next night. Now, the person is experiencing affects after dosing adderall that they haven't had before- they include; terrible difficulty falling asleep, some nausea after eating, problems with short term memory (difficulty retaining/recalling somewhat recent information), horrifically painful headaches and feelings of overheating, heartbeat at odd speeds (fast pulse when trying to fall asleep), difficulty with thought processes and concentrating, hesitation in speech, and occasional feelings of vertigo.

The person has also taken (today and yesterday) a calcium/magnesium supplement, a fish oil supplement, 2 daily multivitamins, and 2 bananas a day for dopamine purposes, as well as eggs as 'brain food.'

***I know that this last dosage was taken only 3 days ago (almost to the hour), so will these symptoms possibly go away or lessen with the person continuing with 100% sobriety (no sleeping pills or anything, either)? I'm worried that because of the adolescence age (14 or 15), permanent damage has been done, even though there have only been 10 doses, although they were quite large XR quantities. Any information would be extremely appreciated.

And also- would it be okay to take melatonin to help fall asleep at night? And would regularly daily exercise have benefits towards recovery?
Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading!

120-150mg XR amphetamine is a lot.

I doubt you are experiencing neurotoxicity though. Those sound like the side effects of an overdose of amphetamine. (palpitations, nausea, dysphoria, vertigo, headaches, loss of cognitive functions)

Amphetamine is rather fat sluble and likes to hang around in your body for a few days (half life 12 hours). You'll feel better after a couple of days for yur system to clear out.

Most supplements taken OTC won't do anything to prevent actual neurotoxicity from overheating/overdoses.

120-150mg XR amphetamine is a lot.

I doubt you are experiencing neurotoxicity though. Those sound like the side effects of an overdose of amphetamine. (palpitations, nausea, dysphoria, vertigo, headaches, loss of cognitive functions)

Amphetamine is rather fat sluble and likes to hang around in your body for a few days (half life 12 hours). You'll feel better after a couple of days for yur system to clear out.

Most supplements taken OTC won't do anything to prevent actual neurotoxicity from overheating/overdoses.

I'm confused as to how it could just be an overdose, since doses HIGHER have been taken before, and they have not had any of these negative affects lasting days afterwards. Would it be appropriate to take melatonin to sleep at night if difficulty continues?

IMHO, if you can count the number of times you've used amphetamine, you don't have any brain damage. Others and I have taken much higher doses of meth for very long periods without any obvious brain damage.Some even used at 14-15 years of age. But who knows, maybe 20 years from now we'll develop Parkinson's8o.

I think it's the after effects of the amphetamine and the seroquel . Amphetamine and Seroquel metabolites can stay in your system for awhile, and they can have a rebound effect, particularly Adderall. It should clear up in a bit.

Melatonin is pretty benign, it's safe in combination with most drugs.

Just because you've taken bigger doses of amphetamines before doesn't mean that large doses of amphetamine will always produce positive effects. Amphetamine is one of those drugs that is really a parade of diminishing returns every time you use it.

>100mg of amphetamine is considered reckless and will have a high chance of inducing bad side effects, especially if you do it with any regularity.

Chelated magneseium, green tea, white tea, vitamin c, high potency cannabis extracts are all good antioxidants which can prevent neurotoxicity from amphetamines.

Most of the things that supposedly prevent amphetamine neutrotoxicity have to be administered before you take the amphetamine.

I'll second that it sounds like an overdose, but to answer your question the best answer I can give is probably the one you're not looking for:
1) A good diet (plenty of dark fruits and veggies, probably magnesium/fish oil/multivitamin)
2) get some sun
3) plenty of cardio
4) brain training games/education

All of that is backed up by animal studies