• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does anyone have any experience with barbital, (not the useless caffeine/aspirin pill

Transcendence

Bluelighter
I'd like some record of people's babital (veronal) experiences. This is one of the hardest compounds to find on the internet. I can't be the only one on bluelight to have taken this. In my opinion it's not as good as seco/amytal or the other short-acting barbs, but it does give a nice long lasting downer comfort with a sprinkling of euphoria.

Still better than most benzos, although it's unusually difficult to stay awake on high doses.

Is phenobarbital the same thing? If so, then yes. Although I was given it in a detox facility (for heroin), so I don't know about it's recreational properties. I was withdrawing too hard to catch a buzz from any of the narcotic medications I was given. All I know is that it helps IMMENSELY with opiate withdrawal symptoms... hope that helped somewhat!

Im not certain but I don't believe that barbital is prescribed any longer. I created a thread a while back on this exact thing however I was inquiring about the current status of it, and the conclusion was drawn that it is no longer prescribed in common practice, it is used as a cell buffer in labs. I am interested in this, if you wouldn't mind posting what other experience you have with it, what it was prescribed for, how it was, what dose, any details you are willing to provide are very much appreciated and will only lead to greater understanding. Thankyou in advance Transcendence.
R(x)AGE

I've heard that secco barbital is euphoric, and especially nice when combined with an upper, and the pheylbarbital is basically a tranquilizer. In general, the class of drugs seems like dirtier, more dangerous benzos. If you're interested in trying them, I suggest against it as they are unsafe, and similar, safer drugs are more readily available.

No, this is much different than pheno or seco barbital. It is very long lasting. It was not prescribed. You are correct R(x)AGE, it has not been prescribed since the early 50's. I have access to it because I am a chemist.

It's not as euphoric/nice as seco or amyl, but it gives a nice wobbly, under the sea downer blanket feeling, complete with double vision at higher doses. It doesn't seem to have the amnesic properties that benzos have. I would describe it as dirtier than benzos, and more akin to alcohol than anything.

It's kind of nice, and takes a while to grow on you. It also kills headaches, (or at least the next morning), and gives a general "groovy" sassymouthed vibe. I do wish it was shorter acting, because you'll wake up sort of fucked for part of the day.

No, this is much different than pheno or seco barbital. It is very long lasting. It was not prescribed. You are correct R(x)AGE, it has not been prescribed since the early 50's. I have access to it because I am a chemist.

It's not as euphoric/nice as seco or amyl, but it gives a nice wobbly, under the sea downer blanket feeling, complete with double vision at higher doses. It doesn't seem to have the amnesic properties that benzos have. I would describe it as dirtier than benzos, and more akin to alcohol than anything.

It's kind of nice, and takes a while to grow on you. It also kills headaches, (or at least the next morning), and gives a general "groovy" sassymouthed vibe. I do wish it was shorter acting, because you'll wake up sort of fucked for part of the day.

...so why don't you just get secobarbital? this substance doesn't sound very enjoyable, nor safe, if you consider it "dirtier than alcohol and benzos" if it feels that dirty, it can't be good news, as usually, dirty feeling drugs are not the safest for your body IME.

<censored by user (profile compromised)>

Last edited:
Barbital is still used as a cell buffer, secobarbital and pentobarbital are restricted so ticght even the chemists can't get at them.

Barbital, of course, is diethylbarbiturate. Phenobarbital is phenyl-ethyl-barbituric acid.

I saw a documentary called the suicide tourist where a special company in singapore gave an old man with ALS who wanted to commit suicide but the dude couldn't do it himself so the company, I think it's called assisted suicide or something, gave the dude like 15g of Phenobarbital and he hit the switch to turn off the breathing machines and died. Made me fucking tear up.

Wow, that was unrelated lol.

I saw a documentary called the suicide tourist where a special company in singapore gave an old man with ALS who wanted to commit suicide but the dude couldn't do it himself so the company, I think it's called assisted suicide or something, gave the dude like 15g of Phenobarbital and he hit the switch to turn off the breathing machines and died. Made me fucking tear up.

Not entirely unrelated, as it's on the topic of the effects of barbiturates. And that's crazy, I sort of want to try barbs now, especially secobarbital, combined with an amphetamine. Not phenobarbital, though, not down for the no-soul type deal. Does anyone have experience with different barbiturates? Can they share their experiences on them, and compare their effects from each other, as well as to benzos? These drugs have always interested me, as they are still found on 16 bar drug tests, but nobody uses them anymore.

Last edited:
I took some phenobarbital once that I jacked from my friends dog. The dose was pretty small but i did it with some heroin. Does that count? lol

Yes, I stole it from a dog.

This is a terrible barbiturate. You have to take over 1g of this shit to feel it going acause it's so weak. But also it's very long-acting and on the following day you wake up with a hang-over sort of thing feeling.

It's far far from what the nicest barbiturates (secobarbital, pentobarbital) have to offer.

I have no experience with barbital, but from what I've read it sounds like a barbiturate which could prove somewhat useful in medicine and recreation, however, like any barbiturate, it is very dangerous. I love the idea of barbiturates, and have had experience with only two - butalbital and phenobarbital. Barbiturates are so dangerous, but so alluring (to me, at least). I would rather be on a barbiturate daily than benzos daily as I am now, or would I? I have no idea, I guess. I am rambling. I wish they still had the old barbiturates (secobarbital, amobarbital, pentobarbital) available for prescription to help with anxiety, insomnia etc., but can certainly understand why they were replaced.

Barbital is useful medicinally for headaches, but that's about it. It was originally used as a sleep aid since it was an improvement over the old inorganic compounds like chloral hydrate, but it actually really sucks as a sleep drug. It takes two hours to work and lasts for around 20 hours, so you always wake up feeling like you're underwater.

I really wish Tuinal was still around though.

I wouldn't so much mind waking up underwater if I were calm. I was thinking, though, it could be dosed several times daily, in theory, for treatment of anxiety disorders or chronic insomnia. Any barbiturate is good for a headache, I'd imagine. I imagine barbital to be somewhere in between the likes of butalbital and phenobarbital in terms of euphoria, duration, and general effect. You mentioned chloral hydrate, though, and I wonder why that is not rx'd as often as might be beneficial. I have read good things about it as a fairly good hypnotic esp. in chronic pain patients IIRC. It hits fast, produces an enjoyable feeling for the patient (euphoria), and allows easy sleep. I, too, wish Tuinal were still existent, but then I think there must be thousands of tablets/capsules of short-acting barbs in the medicine cabinets/attics/cubbyholes of the millions of "little old ladies" of the world, and so I don't lose hope in trying it one day. I always have butalbital, though, and for me that can be pretty satisfying. I, of course, think of Quaalude and Placidyl and whatnot, too. I am certain there are bottles of these waiting to be found if one were really on a hunt, but who has such drive to find an exotic hypnotic? Well, maybe some of us do.

Phenobarbital is a drug perfect for highly stressful situations like exams, surgery, interrogations, etc. It's hard to describe what it does in higher doses...it gives you that look in the eye...that empty look where you could watch a person die on a hospital bed and feel absolutely nothing. Very good to stay calm and make quick decisions.
That's why the couple of bank robbers who robbed the Bank of America in LA, which turned into the infamous "Hollywood shootout" also took Phenobarb. It calmed their nerves to the effect that they didn't even care about the loot or getting away from the cops when they were discovered, but instead engaged the police with their 70 round drum mag Kalashnikovs loaded with Armor Piercing bullets for a several hour stand off. Those were two ice cold son of a bitches, and the Pheno likely played a fairly big role in it.

Barbital is still used as a cell buffer, secobarbital and pentobarbital are restricted so ticght even the chemists can't get at them.

Barbital, of course, is diethylbarbiturate. Phenobarbital is phenyl-ethyl-barbituric acid.
No completely true. The first time I tried any of the short acting Barbs was after a friend of mine who was in debt to me gave me a quarter gram of reagent grade Secobarbital, stolen from his university lab. And at many college and university chemistry labs the condensations of the ethyl ester of diethyl malonate with Urea to form Barbital. I wouldn't be surprises if variations of it were also done, even though technically most aren't allowed to because they lack the proper licenses. But being a university or college, authorities usually don't bother with that shit unless it actively get's their attention through some incident.

I sincerely doubt it was Singapore. No Asian countries allows Physician assisted suicide, actually no country outside Europe allows it, only one locality which is Oregon in the US (and possibly Washington as well now). And there is only one country in the world who allows foreigners to undergo euthanasia in their country, and that's Switzerland, they are somewhat known for they euthanasia tourists. They strictly use Pentobarbital though, I can't remember the exact dose but I think it was indeed 15 grams, though it could also be 9 grams.

I took some phenobarbital once that I jacked from my friends dog. The dose was pretty small but i did it with some heroin. Does that count? lol

Yes, I stole it from a dog.
Dude, that's fucked up. Seriously fucked up. At least my Barbs were stolen from a hospital pharmacy and a university lab, neither which would have even noticed it, but a person or animal in need of their meds? Damn ...