• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

N-Methylphenethylamine

RattleSnake

Bluelighter
I found this interesting molecule while doing research on lactuca virosa, apparently it is a naturally occurring alkaloid, it's molecular structure is relatively close to methamphetamine, but there is no information on it being used as a drug, lactuca supposedly has more of a opiate effect, but this looks like a stimulant, as it is closely related to a bunch of stimulants... the only thing that is bugging me is that meth has one methyl group more, and that methyl group is present in all closely related stimulants such as amphetamine, mephedrone, methcathinone, MDMA and even ephedrine/pseudoephedrine which are not as potent as other stimulants, does that make it inactive or is that methyl group irrelevant?

Ive read a bit about this as well. Its been studied for its use for anti obesity. Other than this one study, I was unable to find any other information. It was also mention as a subtype to mdma without prefound effects on serotonin.

The unsubstituted, "plain" phenethylamines are not recreational and have essentially no pleasurable effects. Some of them have measurable effects in cell cultures, but in the human body they are broken down way too fast to have any effects.

The alpha-methyl group is considered to be mandatory to have monoaminergic stimulant activity. Case in point: Essentially all psychoactive "plain" phenethylamines are psychedelics (2C-*, mescaline) or poorly active/inactive without MAOI (tyramine, phenethylamine). If you do mix MAOIs in often you just get a hypertensive crisis (headaches, panic attacks etc).

The few "stimulant" phenethylamines are laughably weak. They do more to raise blood pressure than anything else. Octopamine, synephrine, phenylephrine are the big names there - all are basically worthless as stimulants. Even ephedrine is more active.

Before you ask, there is no way to just "put an alpha-methyl group on there".

Phenethylamine has some recreational use if combined with an MAO-b inhibitor. Without one its broken down in about 5-10 minutes allowing only small amounts to be active.

Its said to act very similar to amphetamines when combined with MAOi medications. Other then that, pointless

That's probably quite dangerous though due to peripheral effects; hypertension etcetera

You are very correct. I certainly wasn't stating that its a good idea. Just that Phenethylamine has potential as a fairly strong psycho-stimulant when MAO-b inhibition is added

Oh yeah, absolutely. There aren't many drugs I really, really, really love.

Opiates, Soma, PEA+Selegiline.

Until you overdose. I did overdose quite badly once, though I didn't require medical attention. Even the littlest movement sent my heart rate through the roof. I literally crawled to find my phone because when I went to stand up my HR went from fast to pounding out of my chest hard.

To give you an idea of how AMAZINGLY SMOOTH phenethylamine + selegiline is, to deal with that scary heart stuff, I took a nap. I was incredibly euphoric and all, but even after accidentally consuming so much I was afraid I would die, I was able to fall asleep.

Not surprisingly, I was using it again the next day...

Until you overdose. I did overdose quite badly once, though I didn't require medical attention.

I found it to lose its luster with regular (okay, overly frequent :p) use. It went from "a spunky, d-amphetamine like drug with a more prominent body high and inebriation (but an effective duration of one hour with each attack dose)" to "wakefulness and a minor body buzz". Oddly, given my propensity toward unhealthy lust for dopaminergic stimulants, this resulted in loss of interest rather than habituation and then addiction. I wonder if it is possible that upregulation of endogenous synthesis of mao-b was the relevant 'culprit'.

ebola

Phenethylamine and segeline eh? Sounds like a hell of a combo to me. I only tried PEA with some nonsense like Cats Claw or something - the effects were so minor i pretty much wrote it off as a non-drug.

is Selegiline by itself not euphoric? Been looking forward to try it actually before I got on prescription amphetamines instead. Not looking to compare an unscheduled drug (Selegiline) with a scheduled drug (amphetamine) because I know the difference. Does selegiline actually make you feel well, without the euphoria?

my God! It's better than that! PEA + selegiline = pure crack