• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Indecisive on what I want to go to college for... (Botany, Computers, Music)

Ian224

Bluelighter
Within the next few months I plan on going to my local community college and then transferring to a bigger college after my time at the community college is up. I am currently indecisive on what I want to go for, I am interested in Botany, Computers, and Music but I like all three of them just about the same.

However the problem is that I only know the essential basics of those subjects, I know about quite a few plants and how to identify some, I know some basic programming stuff on computers, and I play guitar, bass, some piano, synthesizer, and can play trombone as well but don't know any music theory or even how to read notes.

Has anybody here went to college for any of those things? I was also considering chemistry or pharmacology but after reading around on some topics involving substance chemistry that is a bit over my head I realized that it would be difficult for me. Pharmacology would be a good one for me since I know about medications, their effects, what they could help treat, ect. but only to an extent, and I have a hunch that both chemistry and pharmacology could end up getting me into some trouble.

Any tips on how to decide or anything?

You're just getting started. Take your time.

See if you can take some introductory classes in each of those fields and that will help you narrow down what you like and dislike.

I'm not 100% sure but I think a music degree will lead you to eventually having to learn to read sheet music. If you don't already know how to do this, see if there are classes that teach it.

Botany will require biology classes so you can take an introduction to biology course.

Do you see what I am suggesting?

See if you can take some introductory classes in each of those fields and that will help you narrow down what you like and dislike.

I'm not 100% sure but I think a music degree will lead you to eventually having to learn to read sheet music. If you don't already know how to do this, see if there are classes that teach it.

Botany will require biology classes so you can take an introduction to biology course.

Do you see what I am suggesting?

Yes, I do see what your suggesting.

I can somewhat read sheet music, but i'm not the best at it and only know some music theory (unfortunately I was TOO stoned to be able to understand music theory in school)
Biology is something I am willing to take as well, so it would work out in the end.

Thanks for your suggestions.

This x1000

Too many students get the impression that they should be on a career track the minute they step out of high school. In today's world that's not realistic for most students. Your first year should be dedicated to finding out what you'd like to learn about for 3 more years (and maybe more). Oh, and before you step into a CC classroom make 100% sure that your credits will be transferable to a 4yr program.

Any tips on how to decide or anything?

Whichever you choose, try to keep perpetually in mind that by attending college, sans (some) research and academia, you're basically being provided with a highly advanced and lengthy form of generalized 'job training' for a specialized kind of career(s). No matter how much you may enjoy a particular scholastic subject, always remember to periodically ask yourself these two things wrt your major:

1. Despite how intellectually stimulating my chosen major seems to be, do I really want to do this shit for a living?
2. If I choose to do this shit for a living, will it actually make me money?

If I went solely by my gut, personal passions/interests, and grades (which is what 99% of people advise college students to do), I would be looking forward to a career that consists largely of injecting lab animals with toxic serum in order to observe and record the results (toxicology, neuropharmacology) or a job in which the pay is almost as bad as the pressure to make both deadlines and headlines (e.g., journalism). Instead, I chose to major in a subject at which I am by no means a natural, nor particularly motivated to intellectually pursue as such - mathematics. Provided that I don't fuck up, I look forward to doing something that isn't miserable in an industrial and/or research setting and getting paid a tolerable amount of money to do so, all for a few light years of community college and 4 semesters at a public university. If I were you, I would take Jerry's advice and not feel overwhelmed but excepting this caveat: Take those intro courses, see what you might like to study, and then look into what each respective profession is actually like from the inside. Try to obtain hands-on experience in your putative career choice as soon as possible so as not to end up disillusioned and stuck with a bunch of useless credits and student loans.

TL;DR - You should probably go with the IT thing, but like Jerry said, it's not a decision that you absolutely must make right now, for like, ever. Also, one can always change majors at little financial/scholastic cost, provided that the prerequisites and GPA expectations are similar for both tracks/programs. However, try to keep in mind that, at the end of the day and contrary to popular advice to 'do what you love,' what you study has less to do with what you enjoy learning about and much more to do with how you would prefer to make money in a time of global economic crisis.

P A, I almost agree with everything you said. The only thing I had a question about was this statement:

If I choose to do this shit for a living, will it actually make me money?

How much money is enough?

In my experience, and I know this sounds cliche, money really isn't everything.

I'm not trying to sound like some hippy but as long as I could get to a point where I was debt-free, I don't see the problem with having just enough to be able to afford a place to stay and live on the essentials (+ beer and weed).

I will receive my Master's degree in August and I'm diving headfirst into a career that pays less than a teacher's salary. That's enough for me....

If I were you, I would take Jerry's advice and not feel overwhelmed but excepting this caveat: Take those intro courses, see what you might like to study, and then look into what each respective profession is actually like from the inside. Try to obtain hands-on experience in your putative career choice as soon as possible so as not to end up disillusioned and stuck with a bunch of useless credits and student loans.

I like this advice a lot. Thanks for the insight on the subject. :)

provided that the prerequisites and GPA expectations

This however might be a bit of a problem for me, because I didn't finish high school, I dropped out and took GED classes and just recently finished taking my GED test this past saturday. In about six weeks however, I should have my diploma granted that I passed the test, which I believe I did.

How should I go about dealing with colleges without knowing my GPA and shit like that?

I'm not trying to sound like some hippy but as long as I could get to a point where I was debt-free, I don't see the problem with having just enough to be able to afford a place to stay and live on the essentials (+ beer and weed).

Nor do I. I've just personally encountered and heard tell of far too many college graduates who either fucked up their choice of major or couldn't get a halfway decent job with the degree that they chose to obtain (or both). For instance, name me five non-famous, unrenowned musicians who make enough money with their credentials to maintain an apartment, a healthy diet/lifestyle, and afford your 'essentials.' %)

Also, even if you could readily jot down such a list, what was the actual payoff relative to the money spent on the degree?

For instance, name me five non-famous, unrenowned musicians who make enough money with their credentials to maintain an apartment, a healthy diet/lifestyle, and afford your 'essentials.' %)

Also, even if you could readily jot down such a list, what was the actual payoff relative to the money spent on the degree?

The only payoff per say I would gain out of spending money on a degree in music would be learning new techniques and such, BUT I can easily do that with Youtube videos and practice on my own. Although I am sure that there is more to a music degree than just learning techniques and theory.

As for the "essentials" ;) I will always find a way to get them even if I have to do odd jobs like I am doing now since I don't have a "Real" job.

I am just hoping there is some people who have chosen one of the majors that I have listed and could personally tell me a little bit about them and what they have done while taking classes for the major and what they have done after they received the degree.

@Ian, if you haven't already, try calculating the average cost of living in your area of (intended) residence. At first, you may be surprised at how cheap it can be for a single individual with no dependents, but if you ever find yourself out of work, rent and edible food alone could prove to be a real bitch to afford, odd job or not. Times can be real tough without a marketable degree and experience in a field that requires extensive training. This is not to mention other considerations, like insurance (of all flavors), an automobile and its accompanying maintenance costs, petrol, and ancillary expenses associated with owning a house or renting an apartment. Once you factor in such frivolities as leisure expenditure, pets, durgz, and healthcare, it doesn't look quite so easy to just 'work off' any potential student debt on top of other expenses without recourse to prostitution or asking the moms/pops for a "flexible loan." And if anything goes seriously wrong in your life (heaven forbid), to whom or what could you appeal? These are just things to keep in mind if you plan on staving off destitution with a combination of a bachelors in music theory and 'odd jobs.'

For the record, I don't mean to insult your intelligence. I would just prefer not to hear yet another sob story of a college graduate who works two shifts in a bar or lives with their parents.

Music is mostly down to creativity so you can learn it in school but there are not many good career options and trying to make it big is all about luck and whether or not your flavour has mass appeal. The great thing about music is you can always come back to it later and do it on the side for fun when you do have a career, and if it really takes off then you can always abandon your other career and really lay into it. Long story short, not worth trying to build a career out of music (a teacher whom I respected much told me that and music was his life).

I'm studying computer-related shit right now and frankly if you have an aptitude for it then it's a good choice. The average salary for a Software Engineer in my locality is over $80,000 annually and job opportunities are endless so it's easy to find one that provides you with whatever you're trying to accomplish. Some American mag did a rating recently of the best jobs and I believe Software Engineer was #1 and rated high for low-stress and flexibility. TBH it's boring as fuck sometimes to keep looking at code but when presented with challenges it fills me with a curious sense of accomplishment to pull something off. Long story short it's great for a career but could become time-consuming.

I don't really know about botany but a career in that would fall under the category of biology which will require a grasp of chemistry. IMHO put off school for a while. I dropped out of university because I had no end goal in mind and was just doing it to try and get a degree. What a fucking waste.

Whichever you choose, try to keep perpetually in mind that by attending college, sans (some) research and academia, you're basically being provided with a highly advanced and lengthy form of generalized 'job training' for a specialized kind of career(s). No matter how much you may enjoy a particular scholastic subject, always remember to periodically ask yourself these two things wrt your major:

1. Despite how intellectually stimulating my chosen major seems to be, do I really want to do this shit for a living?
2. If I choose to do this shit for a living, will it actually make me money?

agree on both points.

1 - i majored in research psych as an undergrad. very interesting to study and discuss, but the career path, i found out, was totally unappealing for me.

2 - when you're a single college student with no kids, $40k/yr sounds like plenty. but you quickly realize that if you want to have a family and provide nice things for them (and i'm not talking mansions and private jets), there are only so many jobs that will allow you to comfortably do so. of course, you never want to prioritize money over the more important things in life (family, health, etc), but i think it's really important to understand realistically what different careers will allow you to do financially.

Instead, I chose to major in a subject at which I am by no means a natural, nor particularly motivated to intellectually pursue as such - mathematics.

how far along are you in math? i got a masters in applied math, and a lot of it was really interesting (although not really until diff eq/analysis).

Nor do I. I've just personally encountered and heard tell of far too many college graduates who either fucked up their choice of major or couldn't get a halfway decent job with the degree that they chose to obtain (or both). For instance, name me five non-famous, unrenowned musicians who make enough money with their credentials to maintain an apartment, a healthy diet/lifestyle, and afford your 'essentials.' %)

Eh, I think we might be arguing slightly different points and therefore talking past each other.

I will admit that I subscribe to the "do what you love" policy to a certain extent. For example, if you hate a certain subject, you do not want to major in that subject just because you'll make a good paycheck when you graduate. That will only lead to a miserable life with plenty of money. If I had to choose between money and happiness, I'd take happiness every time.

On the flip side of that, however, I do agree with you that there may be specific degrees that have less of a payoff than others. In my opinion, as long as someone is fully aware of the monetary value of the degree he is seeking, he can do what he wants.

I have a friend with a BFA and he works in an office setting. He has a nice house, two cars (his and his wife's), a family....the whole nine yards. He is not a professional artist but someone still saw value in his degree to the point where they hired him and he makes enough money to live comfortably.

As a mod, if someone comes to this subforum saying they want to major in music, it is not my job to discourage them just because the economy is in the shitter. They will get plenty discouraging from other forumites.

Many people see the university as some big job placement agency where you learn only what you need to do a specific job for the rest of your life and when you come out you will get that job immediately and live happily ever after. I call bullshit. College is about getting your education, gaining knowledge, and learning to apply that knowledge in a variety of settings. If a young student finds a major where they truly enjoy going to every class and they are good at the subject, IMO they have a much better chance at living a full, happy life than the ones who just pick a major that will earn the most money. ymmv.

Eh, I think we might be arguing slightly different points and therefore talking past each other.

I certainly didn't intend to come across as argumentative. My apologies.

If I had to choose between money and happiness, I'd take happiness every time.

You, see, Jerry, I'm totally with you here. The only difficulty that I have in accepting this specious maxim is the knowledge that money really does buy happiness, at least within the threshold of six figures. Also, generally speaking, it's quite difficult to be happy when you're either really fucking poor or perpetually working your ass off to keep the collectors at bay. These dilemmas make out the old 'money vs happiness' schtick as a false dichotomy no matter which way you spin it. I see college as an opportunity for privileged kids to discover a thing in which they're intellectually interested and/or won't hate doing for the rest of their lives so as not to end up living the life of a gas station attendant, electrician, plumber, hard manual laborer, etc. Call me cynical, but I have a suspicion that, dollars to donuts, that's what college will really end up looking like 10, 20, or 30 years down the road.

TL;DR - If you're poor, you're unlikely to be very happy on the merits of your poverty and choice of major alone. Conversely, if you're rich, you're more likely to be happy than if you were to be poor, all other things being equal.

I will admit that I subscribe to the "do what you love" policy to a certain extent. For example, if you hate a certain subject, you do not want to major in that subject just because you'll make a good paycheck when you graduate. That will only lead to a miserable life with plenty of money.

This is why I prefer the maxim 'do what you don't hate' (which I suppose is somewhat reminiscent of the contrast between the golden and silver rules). And though I may agree with you in principle that those people who choose loveless majors and go on to have horrifically successful careers end up more-or-less miserable, I've found that, at least in practice, it rarely works out that way once all is said and done. Permit me, if you will, this small digression re. manual labor:

Consider all those (i.e., literally billions of) people for whom the word 'work' invariably means Hard Manual Labor. I don't how much experience you have with that particular brand of suck, but I assure you, having worked a handful of full-, part-, and overtime jobs in that 'field,' they're called hard for a damn good reason. Some or most of those people will report that although some improvement in their circumstances would be much appreciated, their lives are basically fine on the whole. They elect (wisely, I think) not to define themselves or the quality of lives on the merit of their jobs alone. Try asking one of those people what they 'are.' Oftentimes, they'll refer to their hobbies or interests in order to paint a clear picture of their personality. Then try asking someone who performs work befitting someone with a degree in nuclear physics, biochemistry, or cultural anthropology. They are likely to reply "physicist," "biochemist," and "anthropologist" respectively.

I believe that this little thought experiment says something significant about what the word 'work' means to a person who has attended a university and obtained a degree; and what it means to someone who has not. The point of all this is as follows: If one goes to college and chooses a major of which they may not exactly be fond, but succeeds nevertheless in a manifestly unpleasant career (whilst making fat guap stacks along the way, of course), in what way would they significantly differ from their Hard Manual Labor counterparts, irrespective of the amount of money that they make? If we were to make a bet, I firmly believe that my money would be exactly where my mouth is (ew) on this one. One guy I knew was an engineer for the latter half the 20th century solely because that profession was expected to garner a proportionately high income relative to the cost of the degree he had to obtain. He wasn't a natural at mathematics, hated delivering speeches regarding his designs, and never liked to talk about his work outside of the office. For him, that was perfectly natural, normal, and fine. He was my grandfather, and for him, it worked. I would never advise that anyone take his chosen career path for the reasons mentioned above, but I think that this example serves to underscore the point that 'loving what you do' may not prove to be the most important thing in the world once all is said and done. So I guess, if I had to be succinct, my views appear to be in diametric opposition to yours. Better to do something that you don't hate, but may not exactly rustle your intellectual cherries, for good money than to be a starving artist with no prospect of improvement in life circumstances.

TL;DR - Better to go to school, learn something lame/excruciating, and make lots of money down the road than to throw your life quality and cash away with a useless degree that you love, or no degree at all.

Many people see the university as some big job placement agency where you learn only what you need to do a specific job for the rest of your life and when you come out you will get that job immediately and live happily ever after. I call bullshit...If a young student finds a major where they truly enjoy going to every class and they are good at the subject, IMO they have a much better chance at living a full, happy life than the ones who just pick a major that will earn the most money.

I call...maybe. The 'happy pauper' is a thoroughly debunked myth. Call me Scrooge, but in my opinion, stuff like good healthcare, a functioning automobile, and a nice part of town are at least as important as enjoying what you must to do to earn all those nice things.

As a mod, if someone comes to this subforum saying they want to major in music, it is not my job to discourage them just because the economy is in the shitter. They will get plenty discouraging from other forumites.

That's perfectly fair. But I'm not a moderator, so I feel free to offer my honest opinion either way. I don't mean to tread on any toes.

I have a friend with a BFA and he works in an office setting. He has a nice house, two cars (his and his wife's), a family....the whole nine yards.

I'm sure you're well aware that your friend is the exception to a truly depressing rule. However, this does raise an interesting point that I was trying (unsuccessfully, it would seem) to broach in my What I Expected; What I Got Thread. I've heard more stories than I can count that prominently feature Dick&Jane-type professionals whose degrees include linguistics, Classics, and the plastic arts, none of which have even the remotest scrap of relevance to their actual careers (job recruiting, U.S. Army artillery training, database management).