• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Why does redosing work with dopamine drugs usually but not serontonin ones?

Harambulus

Greenlighter
Is it just because dopamine grows back quicker? Surely it doesnt grow back THAT quick that you can redose in the same session and still have it work- I know I've still been in the dumps for WEEKS after bad amphetamine comedowns back in the day...(never again)? or is it also that there is more to 'go around' in the body? something else?

Hmm is it more a case of releasers being better for redosing than daris? im hazy but I recall coke stopped working after an evening and mdppp didnt work after a cpl of redoses- tho I read of mdpvers going on for days...I know ppl said meph worked good for redosing and 2-fa/2-fma works a treat with redosing.

So whats going on here?

I think it really depends on the person and their unique chemistry, as well the specific drug, how much drug you take at one time, how frequently you take it, etc. When you get a sudden and temporary tolerance to a drug, for example re-dosing doesn't provide effects, it's called tachyphylaxis. This can be caused by depletion (or a large reduction) of the amount of neurotransmitter responsible for creating the drug's effect, or by the depletion of the receptors available for the drug or neurotransmitter to bind to. In the latter case the receptors could be all full, or the cell could have reduced the number of receptors as a response to their saturation by the drug (downregulation). A number of drugs are known to cause tachyphylaxis in most people very rapidly, some of the ones famous for it include: amphetamines, some psychedelics (LSD, mushrooms), and opioids. Some studies have also shown a genetic correlation in people who tend to develop tachyphylaxis more rapidly than others. Some people will also get a pharmacokinetic tolerance to some drugs, meaning that the body actually metabolizes the drug differently so that less of the drug is being absorbed or reaching the receptors.

I don't think it is true that drugs that increase or mimic serotonin cause more tachyphylaxis than drugs that increase or mimic dopamine. Most of these drugs affect both dopamine and serotonin.