• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Phil Anselmo talks about drug abuse @ Loyola University

CartoonHead

Bluelighter
Phillip Anselmo, a famous musician (vocalist for Pantera, Down and Superjoint Ritual and owner of Housecore Records as well as engaging on countless other musical ventures ovedr the years) speaks at Loyola University about his history of drug use and painkiller/heroin abuse. Best known for his role as the lead vocalist of seminal heavy metal band Pantera, Phil also had a well publicised heroin overdose and battle with addiction through the later 90's and early 00's.

He gives quite a candid, informal and intriguing look into his addictions and the factors that influenced them. Music fans should definitely check this out, Phil also delves into his problems with the media and the music industry, pain management and other isuues. Also includes quite a good section about living on the "heroin calender" which I think applies to a lot of addictions...It's in 7 parts, here is the first one. The rest are contained in the youtube sidebar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAbYH2I-yxA&feature=related

That was interesting, and it may have helped some of those kids, but I can't help but say for someone with so much fame/money etc., he wasn't very good at keeping himself stocked up on gear. I never waited 'til I shot my last "2 bags" before I scored, that's just madness. I also got a lot of shit done while on heroin, but I never went through the day "nodding off" like he did.

Yeah, certainly, everyone is different....although I think rather than necessarily giving a technically accurate stocktake of how much he used, he was trying to capture the mundanity, repetition and overall nihilistic and helpless feel of his life at that time. The "Heroin Calender" part was meant to be a short piece, like the poem about his mother...I think :)

Definitely strongly identified with the way he described the feelings and activities of the wait...although my wait has only ever been for methamphetamine, I can't imagine how horrible it would be to have that anxiety coupled with the feelings of a raging physical addiction like opiates induce.

I can definitely relate to the feelings he mentioned too, especially over analyzing everything that can go wrong between then and now.

I guess it was good way to put it to somebody who wouldn't have had that experience.

Another thing that I found strange was his timeline. If he did shoot 10 bags starting from when he said he did, lunchtime or so, and did his last at 5pm, I doubt he would be as sick as he was saying by 8:30pm or whenever he said it was. It all seemed to be a bit over exaggerated to me, but yeah, it's probably just a "story" not a completely accurate representation.

un like russel brand and them phil knows what he is on about not just some light weight ex coke head mouthing off to look cool like that have been doing in the uk of late its all spun shit they spout he has been there n done that more than they could dream of . ps rip dim bag

gotta love phil's air of arrogance. he looks and sounds ragged as ever.

^ Ha!

I don't know if you actually watched the interview foolsgold, or know what you're talking about yourself. I got the same impression of Phil that you got from whoever light weight you're talking about.

iv watched bits and pieces of it out of broadband this month what i mean is these guys like phil have lived it really lived it not just had a line or two n gone o im so hard core lets jump on the trendy drugs band wagon :) p.s. i dnt need to be on smack to know iv grown up around it all my life id seen it take some one close to me by 10, phil maybe an arrogant cunt but thats phil and its fucking amazing its nt rip phil as well as dim bag . ps again iv know this stuff about him longer than you have most likely even know of him

Last edited:
i'm a pantera and phill fan, fools. i wasn't putting phil down, i like him for who he is.

ps again iv know this stuff about him longer than you have most likely even know of him

and i've got 6 parties to attend this evening.

I don't know why you think that. What, are you the only person who was a Pantera fan when they first came out? The only reason I'm posting in this thread is because I'm a long time fan. I'm not trying to size my dick up, but it needed to be said because that's the impression I got.

Oh, and my "Ha!" was a comment on his arrogance throughought the interview. I thought it was funny, the way he laughed. Just a loud HA! - I thought you would have recognised it for what it was, sorry leftwing, I like what I've seen of your posts and meant no disrespect.

whoa, wires of communication have been crossed here.

my second reply was in response to foolsgold.

i totally agree with your comment of his arrogance. i laughed straight up as well.

Definitely ragged, haha. Phil's always been a cocky motherfucker...He has achieved a lot in the musical world so I feel he has the right to boast just a little :) and I'm sure some of his precise details have been, shall we say, embellished? ;-) But the spirit of what he is saying comes across just fine. Not preachy, or judgemental, but humble, sincere and intelligent, in his Phil-ish way. It seems like quite often he lets down that air of bravado, allowing you to see it for what it is - a defence mechanism, not entirely genuine arrogance. Haven't seen him do that much over the years and to be honest I found those bits quite heartfelt and touching. Also interesting to see him touch on the alcohol problem, as they always postured themselves as such hard drinkers and as "not giving a fuck" about it.

Good to see a few other Pantera fans in here. I'm very picky about what metal I listen to these days, but Cowboys From Hell onwards are still on regular rotation. There are few albums in the world that have ever connected with me like "The Great Southern Trendkill."

Seen it several times and i really love the way he perceives situations and the way he explains and draws him out. i think he's quite intelligent and really has a way with words and elaborating thing. glad he's doing well now. RIP dime

I think Vinnie Paul needs to grow the fuck up and make amends blaming dimes death on phil is just plain ignorance.

ive also wondered about these millionaires with heroin habits..i wondered if they ever stockpiled heroin but i guess Phil didnt, just bought it day to day which is silly imo..

i wonder how clean phil is today..i know he smokes weed but does he drink etc etc??for me, once i went to opiates, alcohol is just a garbage feeling to me..i almost feel worse after i drink now..