• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Blasting music tied to drinking and drugs: study

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
(The new title they have for the webpage is "Loud Music May Lead to Drug Use" - despite what the article says about lack of known causation)

Doctors know that drinking, drugs and risky sex go together in young people — and a new study suggests loud music should be added to that list.

In the report from The Netherlands, researchers found that teens and young adults who spent a lot of time listening to loud music — already risky because of the long-term chance of hearing loss — were also more likely to smoke marijuana, binge drink and have sex without a condom.

"I think they've really shown that sex and drugs go with rock and roll," said Dr. Sharon Levy, head of the Adolescent Substance Abuse Program at Boston Children's Hospital who wasn't involved in the new study

But, Levy said, it's far too early to warn parents that listening to loud music could lead to drug or alcohol use.

The study couldn't show that one type of risky behavior led to the other, she pointed out. And it didn't answer another important question: what type of music, exactly, were study participants listening to?

Researchers led by Ineke Vogel at Erasmus MC University Medical Center in Rotterdam surveyed 944 students from inner-city vocational schools, aged 15 to 25, about their music-listening habits and other typical behavior.

They assessed "music-listening dose" by asking students how much time they spent listening to tunes on their MP3 players or at a club or concert and estimating how loud that music typically was for each participant.

The researchers then divided the students into those exposed or not exposed to risky music levels, based on a cut-off defined as one hour per day of music at 89 decibels — about as loud as a lawnmower — or the equivalent.

cont at
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-rt-us-blasting-musicbre84k0kb-20120521,0,3328561.story

New study asserts that the sky is blue and that the sun does, in fact, rise in the east! News at 11!

"young adults who spent a lot of time listening to loud music — already risky because of the long-term chance of hearing loss — were also more likely to smoke marijuana, binge drink and have sex without a condom."

I like to do all of those things. Seems legit.

^ I like to smoke condoms, have sex without drinking, and binge on marijuana. But my music is only relatively loud. Conclusions?

^ I like to smoke condoms, have sex without drinking, and binge on marijuana. But my music is only relatively loud. Conclusions?

Dude, I heard the condoms these days can hold 500% more semen than they use to. Watch out or you'll get addicted. You meant used ones right? The used ones taste better to me anyway.

nah that's only the ones with the brown speckles in them, that means they have heroin.

This just in: Females actually do poop, and it doesn't smell like roses.

BREAKING: Bears shit in woods. Unknown if they make a sound.

Better watch out for my 6 year old nephew who likes it when I play my music and he asks me to put the volume louder.

does that apply for all music? If i played yanni really loud would i get addicted to wine coolers and fanny packs?