• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Synaesthesia Thread

So how do you differentiate between a true synaesthete and a psychotic person (who also tend to experience synasthesia)? The absence of delusions and paranoia?
I second the frequent deja vu and disorientation, I used to get these a lot. But it was right after I quit using ecstasy (and I had only done acid once). I haven't used either drug since (18 months +) and don't really have a problem with it anymore. Still, my visual perception seems to be slightly different from before. My vision is more suggestive; I can look at a blank wall and mentally outline images on it but I obviously don't think the image is there (kind of like the mind's eye being projected onto things you look at). I'm rambling...

excellent, excellent thread! I most certainly believe in this phenomenon and consider it to be one of the most fantastic aspects of the psychedelic experience.
Our minds inherently rely on sensory associations to link memories... certain smells bring just about everyone back to a specific place in childhood (ie. Grandma's apple pie, the smell of the basement in our first house, etc).
I'm curious to hear other's comments on the subject, keep them coming and good job!
SG

Most of the replies seem to imply that the poster has experienced synaesthesia only under the influence of hallucinogens/other drugs (or with light symptoms naturally). I knew I had synaesthesia long before I had ever touched drugs, even when I was very young.
For me, I associate people, music, letters and numbers, rooms, and other places with colors (and the other way around). Any person I have known or know has a color attached to their existence in my mind. For example, my mom is red and my house is yellowish-grey. Of course my house isn't actually any color resembling yellow/gray, that's just the color I associate with it.
I know quite a bit about this phenomenon and am very interested in learning more.
Anyone who would like a good starting point to learn more about it can go here:
http://www.ncu.edu.tw/~daysa/synesthesia.htm#Definition%20of
What was discussed at the seminar you attended? I have read several studies where the findings show that people with synaesthesia consistently associate the same color with certain things. For instance, a very large percentage (I believe above 50% in most cases) associate red with the letter 'A' (Edit: I found the study here :) : http://www.ncu.edu.tw/~daysa/Colored-Letters.htm . The same results apply to every other letter of the alphabet as well. Thanks for any other information you may have!
[ 27 May 2002: Message edited by: Eh-Empty ]
[ 27 May 2002: Message edited by: Eh-Empty ]

This is a good thread, I wanted to see if anyone else had something to add.
I do experience some of the traits of synesthesia, including deja vu very often, weird memory association (using colours and shapes), and very poor sense of direction. I have experienced blending of the senes a few times, but mostly under the influence of psychedelics (mushrooms, lsd, nitrious, and even weed).

I also fall into the left handad, dejavu, etc category...
Sometimes i associate thoughts or memories with a taste...ive done this since i was young.
I also know what the people above mean by the colour of a piece of music... most common colours are black, blue and pink but you get the odd unique track that has a different colour to it.
These moments of synaesthesia seem to be linked more to emotion than logical thinking for me.
On a side note, the most extreeme case of synaesthesia i have ever experienced was my 1st time on magic mushrooms. The music became a thick floating visible honey like substance that was malleable, bouncable and stretchable... it had an unbelieveable sense of solidity and texture to it that was truly astonishing (still one of the most memorable experiences of my entire life)
I bounced the ball of liquid sound into my mouth and ate it...psytrance tastes *very* nice
seeya
-Av

a few days ago I was tripping really hard on 5-meo-dmt (25mgs insufflation) and when I came out of the incredible void that I happened to be in, I looked up, and basically, smelled the sun. It was interesting mix of shining burn, if that's understandable. A few words I wrote on it:
Decay into nothingness. Ego loss. Shattered, laying on the ground in a puddle of tears he looks up, and smells the sun. He shakes, cries, and collapses. And all at once, darkness.

I actually have this condition. My mother is a schizophrenic, (modern drug therapy has given her a normal life)and I was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a child, and then later as an adult, both in and out of the military. The condition is a poorly understood one, and often misdiagnosed. In any event, synaesthesia is a common manifestaiion of certain aspects of my particular mental makeup, and was, in fact, formally diagnosed after quite a few visits to a variety of so called 'experts'.
I can tell you that it is not all that similar to the sense crossing that occurs on most psychedelics, with perhaps the exception of the audio-visual elements of a high dose LSD trip. However, there is an element of the condition that is VERY difficult to describe, that being the contextual crossing of sensory data input. Sensory events can actually be transcribed internally as IDEAS, or EMOTIONS, or MEMORIES, which are totally unrelated to the actual sensory event. It can be something as inocuous as leaning on a counter in a certain way, and for that instant feeling as though you are a writer living in Pennsylvania when in fact you are an actor living in LA.
Also, the crossing seems to be less obvious than people might imagine. I have seen traffic lights in colors that are not actually colors, but feelings or memories. I am not talking about the light REMINDING me of something, I am talking about the light actually being the memory itself.
Its very very difficult to describe.
I am ambidextrous, btw, and I have an excellent sense of direction. So I guess I am not the typical, synaesesthiac.
I can tell you that my drug experience has helped me greatly. I am able to ignore outright hallucinations, and I am able to recognise them more easily, as well as recognise any sensory crossing that occurs, with the exception of some occaisional contextual issues.
I have studied my internal syntax extensively, and I believe that all information is language, and vice versa, and that the more incomplete the language is, the more occluded, necessarily , we are. This has prompted me to search for alternate syntax, and the quickest way to discover that is with drugs.
An interesting concept, which was chronicled by P.K. Dick, but which I independently considered as well, is the concept of 'living information', which is immediately and spontaneously illuminating.
In short, information can be thought of as a type of organism, which requires a 'host', or brain, in which it resides in its dormant form, growing, eventually replicating itself in either the spoken word, or a drawing, and reaching its final form in becoming an artifact, or physical object, which is the ultimate form of language, or information. Of course, the relationships of each piece of matter, be it a car or an atom, can also be thought of as syntax, and in fact is necessarily just that.
The whole line of thought has led me to search for a complete language, which, by definition, cannot exist inside one's head, but there might, perhaps, exist a more accurate translation of life.
In my opinion, chemistry is the finest order of language currently available for practical interface.
Anyway, I am rambling again, another trait. Sorry.

Last summer, I worked with a Ph.D. who actually studies synesthesia, although most researchers typically differentiate between "true" synesthesia and other "hallucinations" found in psychopaths, as well as drug induced synesthesia. These types of synesthesia are in a totally different category than either developmental or adult onset synesthesia. I have some great papers if anyone would like a reference. I don't claim to be an expert, but I can answer most questions regarding this issue.
[ 17 July 2002: Message edited by: erica.smerica ]

Induced Synaesthesia

As far as I know lsd is the only drug that can produce this effect. Are there others? I would like to experience it again. %) And what dose would it require with lsd alone? I'd like to hear about other's experiences with this phenomenon.

Synaesthesia can occurr with most psychedelics, at least in my experience. Mescaline produces quite a sublime and subtle form, that is more powerful then the sense merging of LSD. DMT eradicates all sensory boundaries, so it is impossible to tell for sure whether one is hearing visuals or what; but sensory crossover occurrs with most psychs, and dissociatives. Even a whiff of nitrous, with some thunderous viking-metal will alter the visual content, leading me to think that there is informtaion being fed from my aural regions to visual. I happen to think syanesthesia is actually a more common state, in general, then we realise. As with all things, whilst its comforting to have our senses divided into categories, its somewhat limiting. I certianly never just 'hear' powerful music; it evokes so much more.

willow11 said:
...................... As with all things, whilst its comforting to have our senses divided into categories, its somewhat limiting. I certianly never just 'hear' powerful music; it evokes so much more.
Absolutely. Ramp up the Wattage at a good psytrance party, and you'll certainly "feel" the music =D =D

Add a touch of LSD (say 300-500ug, although YMMV) and you'll know what synaesthesia is for sure.

E

synaesthesia can be a naturally occuring sensation for certain people. there are recognized people who naturally have synaesthesia.

willow11 - when someone has a split brain procedure or is deaf, blind etc... that area that is being unused in the lobe or cortex for that specific sense, another functioning sense will take over part of that specific lobe or cortex. that is why blind people have such good touch and can basically see by touch (like the movie daredevil) and hear extremely well. same for people who are deaf can have better vision etc...

its all about the minds plasticity and ability to adapt to new situations

from what I have read and heard with psychedelics, the synapse firing pattern becomes altered (like norepinephrine) and can affect and confuse different layers of the cortex causing sense confusing. I think this is why synaesthesia happens, like tasting color, feeling music, touching sound, tasting sound, smelling color etc...

The most memorable synaesthesia one has ever had was with good ol' mushrooms. LSD produced the most alive, open eye kind, but is very hard to recall.

"alive, open eye kind"? Can you explain to me why you use those words to describe it?

Sometimes on a good dose of LSD, the visuals move along with music or whatever sounds you are listening to at the time and yoou begin to see music. Words cannot explain it, but it is definetley a common occurance.

FreedomOfTheMind said:
Sometimes on a good dose of LSD, the visuals move along with music or whatever sounds you are listening to at the time and yoou begin to see music. Words cannot explain it, but it is definetley a common occurance.
Words can explain it :)

CEV's that are influenced in terms of colour, size and morphing by the sound you are hearing at the time. Similare to a Windows Media player visualisation.

dimensiontripping said:
synaesthesia can be a naturally occuring sensation for certain people. there are recognized people who naturally have synaesthesia.

willow11 - when someone has a split brain procedure or is deaf, blind etc... that area that is being unused in the lobe or cortex for that specific sense, another functioning sense will take over part of that specific lobe or cortex. that is why blind people have such good touch and can basically see by touch (like the movie daredevil) and hear extremely well. same for people who are deaf can have better vision etc...

its all about the minds plasticity and ability to adapt to new situations

from what I have read and heard with psychedelics, the synapse firing pattern becomes altered (like norepinephrine) and can affect and confuse different layers of the cortex causing sense confusing. I think this is why synaesthesia happens, like tasting color, feeling music, touching sound, tasting sound, smelling color etc...

I "feel" color, nothing else, but it's definitely not only a psychedelic induced state. I always figured that everyone experienced it till I mentioned it to a doctor once.

i have synesthesia while sober, first of all. when i hear a word i think of a food in the back of my mind... but i won't get into that.

i've seen music on mushrooms, & FELT it surge through my body on LSA. it's an amazing experience. i wish it any tripper :]

while on 2-cb, meditating to Pink Floyd's the Piper at the Gates of Dawn brought me my most spectacular CEVs with a synaesthesia element. but it was more than just a mixing of sound and vision, it was like every thought, emotion, and kinesthetic sensation were interacting visually with the music, all behind my eyelids. and it was far beyond anything a visualizer program could produce, it was like seeing incredibly detailed pictures, images of my own beating heart incorporated into fractals that pulsed and zoomed and then exploded into fullblown scenes of Tibetan monks meditating in the snowy Himalayas.