Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

To order or not- Tiagabine

Davevanza

Bluelighter
Here I got with me a prescription of Tiagabine 5mg.

But no pharmacies stock it, so I got to order it, and leave some amount of cash.

My questions are :

1. Right now I am prescribed and taking 300mg Pregabalin twice daily.

I read that the recreational effect of Pregabalin disappear with consecutive days of use.

Is it true?

2. I am curious with Tiagabine. And I read in the forum, that, Tiagabine's effect is the same like Pregabalin.

Is it true?

^ I've never used tiagabine, so wouldn't know about it's recreational potential aside from Wikipedia claiming it has none... used to say that about pregabalin/gabapentin as well though.

As for tolerance with pregabalin, yes it does happen at a varying rate depending on the person. I didn't notice it with a few days of use. What are you using these medications for? I assume there is a medical reason you are prescribed these drugs, and that would make me wary as tolerance will also develop to the therapeutic side of the drugs as well.

^ I've never used tiagabine, so wouldn't know about it's recreational potential aside from Wikipedia claiming it has none... used to say that about pregabalin/gabapentin as well though.

As for tolerance with pregabalin, yes it does happen at a varying rate depending on the person. I didn't notice it with a few days of use. What are you using these medications for? I assume there is a medical reason you are prescribed these drugs, and that would make me wary as tolerance will also develop to the therapeutic side of the drugs as well.

I am using it for CTTH ( Chronic Type Tension Headache) that happens daily.

So my Neurologist prescribes many "Preventative" medications, such as Tegretol( Carbamazepine), Topamax ( Topiramate), Keppra( Levetiracetam), Epilim ( Sodium Valproate), etc.

But wit Tegregol, I got Neutropenia ( my white blood decreasing, so I am prone to infections, etc which can cause Death)

With Topamax, I got a history of kidney stones, well , it was back in 1996, now when being CT-Scaned , none. But my Neurologist doesn't want to complicate with it by prescribing thing that can cause kidney stone. ( yes, Topiramate can cause kidney stones)

Keprra, which is Levetiracetam, is actually the L-isomer of Etiracetam. And this Racetams, are actually "Smart Drugs". But, when I tried Keppra, I got the opposite effect, which is sedation, and I developed tics. ( I searched through internet, well, yes, Levetiracetam, unlike other Racetams like Piracetams, Oxiracetams, etc, it has no " Nootropic effect"). So coz of the side effects, my neurologist stopped it.

As with Epilim, its effect is similar to benzos, but only wel......maybe 10%......I did help with my Nerve pain behind my eyes, ( as i am typing right now, I am experiencing pain behind my eyes, caused by focus on typing,etc) . Lucky, I've taken my Pregabalin 300mg + Tramadol 200mg + alprazolam 2mg. I also take Hypericum ( St john's wort, blackmores). The reason I stopped the Epilim was because, through my blood check, my bilirubin, SGOT,SGPT, ALT are high. So my neurologist stopped it.

Now I am on Pregabalin 300mg 2x/day, with Tramal 200mg 2x/day and Alprazolam 2mg 2x/day,

After using Pregabalin , 3 days, I don't notice that it's helpful anymore.

That's why I asked about Gabitril ( Tiagabine). Well, forget about Sabril( Vigabatrin) as it's dangerous to the eyes, causing permanent visual defect.

Well, in Wiki, Tiagabine could be used as for Panic Disorder, too. ( That interests me)

But, in Erowid, many who have used it, said, it has NO Recreational value.

Now, what I want to know, is, is there amongst the readers, who happens to take Tiagabine too?

I just want to know, what he fells about it. ( Well, of course its the Therapeutically used, not over the recommended dosage by the doctor)

Any input, I really, appreciate it so much.

I thank, to Mr Blonde too, who has given me advise, that I might think it over, before filling my prescription to the chemist.

( Btw, Pregabalin 300mg = $ 150, Tiagabine = roughly $ 130, also Neurontin, are not subsidised, and Authority Script is meant for RPBS , Veteran of war. So we got to pay the full price.)

Once again, I would be thankful if there is anymore input about Tiagabine.

Kind Regards,
Davevanza

Keprra, which is Levetiracetam, is actually the L-isomer of Etiracetam. And this Racetams, are actually "Smart Drugs". But, when I tried Keppra, I got the opposite effect, which is sedation, and I developed tics. ( I searched through internet, well, yes, Levetiracetam, unlike other Racetams like Piracetams, Oxiracetams, etc, it has no " Nootropic effect"). So coz of the side effects, my neurologist stopped it.

Yeah as soon as I read those first couple of sentences I was about to start typing that not all 'racetams' are smart drugs, but looks like you beat me to it.

You could try asking in Other Drugs to see if anyone there has taken this medication? If you are having to import this medication in the first place, then it's obviously not used here a lot and you may want to try a regional forum where you are more likely to find people who have used this medication.

How bad was your neutropenia? I had a mild case a few months back that was most likely due to my low weight, the levels themselves weren't that serious but combined with the immune deficiency I already have the doctors at the hospital were a little worried. How are your white blood cell counts now?

I tried Gabitril 10mg ( Tiagabine) from my GP.
Its effect is more or less like Seroquel( Quetiapine), an atypical antipsychotics, so it just flattens my mood.

I was on Seroquel back in 2005-2008, but, the first 2 months I got to adapt to it, it was terrible, i got Restless Leg Syndrome, Spasms, stuffy nose, dry mouth.
( I brought up this issue to my Psychiatrist, but, his opinion disappointed me, as he said that Seroquel has no anticholinergic, less likely to cause Extra Pyramidal Sydrome nor RLS, but, come on, I am the patient, I am the one who took the tablet, and i am the one who suffer from it! But he still insist me to keep taking it.)
Now, think, I go to the Psychiatrist, paying around $300 , expecting to be able to function as what I should be, by taking the tablet. If the medication given is not appropriate, is it not right, I can just change to other Psychiatrist. So far, I've changed to 3 Psychiatrists, and they all have different view, about my illness. Anxiety. Panic Disorder. OCD. Schizo-affective-disorder. Different Psychiatrist has different view.
Well, now I am happy to settle down with the right medications, that enables me to function the way I should be, whether it be at home or in society.

Thanks for any inputs given to me. I appreciate it.

(Btw, Keppra-Levetiracetam, if you google it, you will find that, there is a research on it, comparing Piracetam, Oxiracetam, Aniracetam to austistic kids, that Levetiracetam actually has NO NOOTROPIC EFFECT at all.)

Kind Regards,
Dave

Here I got with me a prescription of Tiagabine 5mg.

But no pharmacies stock it, so I got to order it, and leave some amount of cash.

My questions are :

1. Right now I am prescribed and taking 300mg Pregabalin twice daily.

I read that the recreational effect of Pregabalin disappear with consecutive days of use.

Is it true?

2. I am curious with Tiagabine. And I read in the forum, that, Tiagabine's effect is the same like Pregabalin.

Is it true?

i can answer your 1st question the recreational effects of lyrica dont go away after a few days on the stuff.....my mate has been on them for a looong time now and we tend to binge on the shit for like a week or so and have never noticed any real tolly build up

Well, I am taking daily of Lyrica ( Pregabalin) 600mg, prescribed by my Neurologist.

You are quite TRUE.

......when you type :

"i can answer your 1st question the recreational effects of lyrica dont go away after a few days on the stuff.....my mate has been on them for a looong time now and we tend to binge on the shit for like a week or so and have never noticed any real tolly build up "

Neither do I get HIGH on it.

Mate, it's 600mg, you know.

quite a high dose.