• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Smoking Fentanyl - Have I ruined my tolerance?

Psymon

Greenlighter
Hi All,

First I would like to give u an idea of what sort of opiate tolerance i have: Usually I take 40mg of Oxy rectally when my pain gets too bad (3 times a week on average) and ive tried many other opiods (Besides H)...

Last night I was in serious pain and needed relief - I have a lot of rx'd stuff that I have collected since my back injury ages ago and I tried to find the best combo to relieve my searing back pain - I noticed I had one 50mcg/hr Durogesic Fentanyl Patch 8.25 Mg total - And cut his up into about 15 pieces and started to chase the dragon on some foil after some research. I know this stuff is deadly but I figured my tolerance was pretty high after unusually taking opiods 4 days in a row and the fact that smoking causes the least deaths by Fent) ....The Fent (all of it) seemed to take some of my pain away although it was short lived and the "high" was boring" and cold like many have decribed on BL before. Desperate for more pain relief i plugged 20mg oxy and that did nothing at all. Eneded up having to take Xanax and valium to even sleep....

Now the main thing concerning me is has smoking the Fentanyl increeased my tolerance big time, or is that only the case with the other ROA's of this drug?

By looking at my breif description of my use, how many days would you wait before trying some oxy again?

Thanks!

Smoking causes the least deaths of fent? I beg to differ.

Fentanyl skyrockets your tolerane and makes my other meds not work for me up for like a week after taking it

Yeah, it was probably a bad call to bust out the fent if you'd only been doing opiates for 4 days and a 40 mg oxy dose rectally was working prior. I personally know of several people who've died from smoking fentanyl. It's powerful shit and you should be careful. The whole statement "The ROA that would be least likely to cause an OD for this TRANSDERMAL PATCH is smoking it" is obviously asinine.

Anyway, fentanyl is so much more powerful than drugs like Oxy that even a moderate dose ingested through an inefficient ROA may increase tolerance. The times I've done fent, I found that after literally a few days my tolerance to most other opiates was obscene. It really sucked. :( Presumably if you're out of fent your tolerance will decrease over time.

yep fent has taken too many people from my family and friends

Thanks for the input - I did read somehere that buccal and IV had higher rates of mortality due the fact smoking was done using small pieces at a time but after hearing ur responses I see that smoking isnt a walk in the park either - Yeah I have run out now - How long do you think untill my tolerance goes back to my usual level?

Hey Tricomb... are you stalking me??!!??... jk.. thanks for ur help mate.

Cheers

I really don't know my friend. In my case, I just ended up using a lot more heroin to get right, which in turn fucked my life up beyond belief.
If you really want it to drop quick, you'll probably need to take at least a couple weeks off of opiates period. I suppose it might lower pretty fast too if you just abstained from fentanyl. i'm kind of curious about this, let's see who has something to say...

Fentanyl is incredibly dangerous not only due to it's potency but because people seem to underestimate it and therefore not mix it/dilute it correctly.

Also, it's danger is compounded by it's incredibly high lipophilicity. It dissolves in lipids/fats MUCH better than say morphine or oxycodone and once it's dissolved an opioid antagonist like naloxone will have little to no effect which means the overdose can't be 'controlled' in the same manner a morphine/oxycodone overdose can.

By the way, patches such as Duragesic don't smoke very well as the fentanyl is combined with the silicone/plastic matrix meaning you can't 'peel it off' like older gel patches, some people even cut up and eat the patches trying to get more fentanyl out of the actual patch.

If I were you, I would ask for an increase in your oxycodone dosage OR ask for some instant release oxycodone. Given your 40mg daily dose I'd suggest you ask for 10mg capsules that can be taken when you get a spike in your pain level (known as 'breakthrough pain') to control it very quickly. Your doctor should be happy to prescribe this or it should be available in other methods. This will definitely be a better route than trying to take fentanyl.

Cheers!

Thanks Paulinton, interesting about naltrexone being ineffective on Fentanyl (and scary)... Also the fact that I only had about 3/4 of a durogesic patch and it was pretty shit to smoke... I don't think I even got that high or much smoke so maybe I will try my usual dose (I take oxycodone IR 5mg) 8 tabs rectally... I'll post and let u all know. Hopefully it's not a waste. Perhaps I would be better waiting a few more days due to the fent??... Hmm

Smoking fent will jack up your tolerance and it isnt worth it imo. I must say the closest coming to death has been with fent, xanax, soma and booze. But man what a buzz lol

I have been on the patch for quite awhile. Prior to starting them, I was JUST past the point of 10-20mg percocet being effective. I don't know if my post will be helpful, as I use the patch as prescribed. I CAN tell you that a year or 2 later, I'm at the point where 60mg of IR Oxycodone is not lasting long enough for me, and my MD &I are looking at switching me to IR Opana. Sometimes it hits me that...OMG, I'm taking the equivalent of 12 percocets (5mg) at a time, and it's not enough ...ya know?
Anyway, I think you will be ok, considering you only did the Fentanyl once. But there are many more seasoned people on this board...

Yeah after you've been on the patch for a while, the breakthrough meds slowly but surely begin to lose effectiveness, usually until it gets to the point where the only thing that can breakthrough the fentanyl, is..... drumroll..... more fentanyl. That's why they make the instant release Fentora and Actiq.

To Tricomb-
I actually asked my MD about the Actiq lol...He is a really cool person, and VERY open-minded IMO. He said, "I'm more than willing to experiment with you in order to find the right combo of pain meds for you, but I just think those things are bizarre, and there are many other drugs we would try before that". Not sure why he has this opinion. I'm pretty sure you know this from other threads we've been on together but we are soon gonna be changing from the Oxy ir to Opana ir. Any idea how many other drugs there are between Opana and Actiq??