• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Valium feels like speed now (yes, weird, I know)

clear_sky

Bluelighter
I used to take benzos daily for about 5 years straight.
Have stopped using them in the last two years.
When I take valium these days (once in a blue moon), it gives me insane energy.
I used to get all nice and chilled out and zoned out off it.
Now I just want to run around and do things.

I'm not complaining ;)
Just wondering if I maybe broke something..?

Actually, it's kind of funny cause I find myself in the same position as you...used to take benzos daily (not for 5 years straight, but for a good year or so), and then after going to rehab (cause of my crack and heroin habit and such...had to detox from the methadone and benzos first though), I didn't touch benzos for nearly two years (until about a couple of weeks ago, when I started experimenting with benzos again).

But now for example when I take clonazepam or diazepam sometimes it feels or really sedating or really speedy.
Like I'd take 2mg of clonaz in the morning, and for the first few hours of the day I'd be really talkative and full of energy to do lots of stuff, then I'd redose, but I couldn't get that initial "speedy" effect back anymore in the same day, it would just kind of prolong the buzz and make me more tired and groggy (unless mixed with alcohol, but that's another story...).

And another example, today, over the course of the day I took 2mg of clonaz (right as I woke up), and 45mg of midazolam (of which 15mg were taken a few hours after taking the clonazepam, during the morning to calm down a bit, precisely because I was feeling too "speedy", and 100mg of diazepam over the course of the day (damn tolerance and easy access to benzos here in Portugal...)...the clonaz and midaz already wore off, while the diazepam just left me pretty chilled out. Then I went out, had a beer or two, and took 50 more mg of diazepam...I ended up falling asleep for an hour or so, about 1h30 after taking it, but now that I just woke up (like 30 minutes ago), I'm full of energy, feeling really content and in a great, peaceful mood, and feeling really talkative (as a matter of fact I'm writing this about 4 hours after taking the 50mg of diazepam)! :D

Weird, huh?? But yeah, in any case I too am wondering what causes these seemingly paradoxical effects...I hope somebody around here can answer this! :)

Last edited:
EveryStar, I'm glad it's not just me.. It's strange, isn't it, because it's the complete opposite feeling of what they used to do!

Haha, toothpastedog, definitely love it :D

Yes, for some people it will cause excitability and a loss of inhibition.
Theory - said loss of inhibition makes me relaxed enough to not let my thoughts interfere with me doing things. Rather than making my body relaxed..
Perhaps this is a different lvel of relaxation/sedation?
Slightly shaky theory, I know ;)

Maybe it has something to do with your dosage. Is it more or less than you would normally have taken five years ago?

Maybe it has something to do with your dosage. Is it more or less than you would normally have taken five years ago?

Two years ago. And no - I don't take anywhere near as much now as what I used to. No tolerance these days.
I used to take much larger doses because I had a tolerance. Even though, I remember when I first started taking it.
I had no tolerance (like I don't now) and the effect was quite different to what it is now.
Same doses, no tolerance, except now I'm awake and speedy.
I keep thinking I stuffed up something in my brain, because I had taken stupid amounts of everything:
Alprazolam, temazepam, oxazepam, nitrazepam, occasionally quetiapine, clonazepam, flunitrazepam, zolpidem.
From what I've read, your brain goes back to normal about 12 months after stopping diazepam.
Not sure about everything else though.

Yup, same ere. I was taking 100-150mg diazepam daily for a couple of years, followed by a couple of years of tapering hell. Doesn't really relax me anymore. It relaxes me socially, but not physically. I could take 50mg in one go and go walking out the front door haha

Yeah, i get "paradoxical effects" above 30mg at once. Remember, less is more with benzos.

It's funny though, because for example, yesterday I took 50mg in the morning (by itself, no alcohol or any other benzos)...

The first couple of hours I felt really relaxed and peaceful and sedated and just overall in a great mood, but after the first 2-3 hours (oh and I drank a beer or two in the meanwhile), I felt really speedy and talkative for the rest of the day, well, for at least a good 6-7 hours more... To put it this way: at 9 in the morning I took 50mg...around 10h30 I drank a beer, and was still feeling really relaxed, content, sedated...but by noon I started getting that speedy feeling, real talkative, wanting to go around and do stuff, and that feeling lasted until around 5 or 6pm more or less.

Strange, huh? :)

Oh, and I should also mention that I took 15mg midazolam at some point during the afternoon, and around 6-6:30pm I took 30mg of midazolam and drank a couple more beers, but I was still feeling real speedy and talkative, but relaxed at the same time.

What are your opinions on this? Maybe some kind of interaction between the midazolam, the alcohol and the diazepam, all combined throughout the day?
Jesus christ...I've been taking way too many benzos lately, I haven't been keeping count but all I know is that I went through nearly 300mg of diazepam and 90mg of midazolam (or probably more, who knows...) in about 36 hours... And then plus all the booze as well (but at least when I take benzos I drink moderately...no more than a 3-4 beers within a couple of hours, otherwise it potentiates it wayyy too much and pretty soon I'm staggering all over the place, bumping into the walls as I'm walking down the street...) :\

Last edited:
be careful with alcohol's rebound. some, like me, are very sensitive to it, and it's easy for anxiety to be provoked an hour or two after the drunkenness, and depression provoked by the CNS depression itself. insomnia, too, what a combo.

High doses of benzos sometimes stimulate those with a benzo tolerance since they tend to release dopamine, except for Lorazepam, which actually decreases dopamine. Dopamine stimulates, makes you more motivated, and more productive.

High doses of benzos sometimes stimulate those with a benzo tolerance since they tend to release dopamine, except for Lorazepam, which actually decreases dopamine. Dopamine stimulates, makes you more motivated, and more productive.

Hmm is that why I feel quite speedy when I take for example 50mg of diazepam? It actually gets to the point where I almost feel kind of anxious (like getting that anxious tight feeling in my chest). I used to have a tolerance, since I was taking clonazepam and temazepam everyday for about a year, but that was two years ago. Benzo tolerance is semi-permanent, no? Because over the last couple of weeks I've gone through over 300mg of diazepam, 40mg of clonazepam, nearly 500mg of midazolam, and 280mg of temazepam...so is my tolerance sky high once again?

It seems these days that I only really feel the euphoric effects of benzos, even at low doses (say 30-50mg of diazepam or 15-30mg of midazolam), when mixed with alcohol (like a beer or two)...only then do I start feeling really good...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just wanted to say...benzos are strange. After a week's abstinence from all benzos (because of a drug test...which I failed by the way, damn diazepam metabolites staying in your system for fucking ever...also I went through some mild WDs during 4-5 days because of the ridiculous amounts of benzos I abused the couple of weeks before...we're talking like 300mg diazepam, 40mg of clonazepam, 300mg of temazepam, 450mg of midazolam, 10mg of alprazolam, in 12-14 days...but at least the WD symptoms seem to be mostly all gone), the day before yesterday I took 40mg of diazepam over the course of 2-3 hours... I just felt kind of irritable and a bit speedy, until I started drinking, then I felt more relaxed.

Then yesterday I took 2mg of clonazepam and felt that speedy, talkative, mildly euphoric feeling... Then today I took 50mg of diazepam, about 2-3 hours ago and I'm just feeling chill as fuck, with that dreamy type of feeling...like I could just melt into the couch listening to some chill-ass trip-hop (Portishead, Massive Attack and stuff) and just relax...like everything is all right with the world, just peaceful, kind of sluggish... Paradoxical effects or something, one day I'm speedy, the next I'm melting into a puddle of euphoria just completely relaxed...man benzos can be weird. Anybody have an explanation for that?

Last edited:
No, the same happens to me but it depends on the level of anxiety I have when I actually take my meds. The more anxiety the "speedier" the feeling is it seems because it just takes the anxiety away but doesn't relax me completely. It's not really a speedy feeling though, it's more of an "I feel normal"-feeling. Now if my anxiety isn't that high and I take my meds I will feel more relaxed and less social.

Now, I don't take these huge doses like you but only take a therapeutic dose so for me feeling normal and getting my stuff done is what I'm actually going for.

i get different reactions as well... yesterday on 3mg of alprazolam i was running around, speeding off my dial, doing everything on the list.
today (same dose) i can barely keep my eyes open...

Benzos are straaange, dude... Seriously, they're probably the drugs whose effects are most subjective and varied, from person to person. Unlike opiates, which seem to basically affect everyone the same way every time, and remain the same across the board, benzos' effects can differ so much from one person to the other, or even from one day to the other on the same person. And I have no fucking clue why.

i get different reactions as well... yesterday on 3mg of alprazolam i was running around, speeding off my dial, doing everything on the list.
today (same dose) i can barely keep my eyes open...

Yesterday I took my usual therapeutic dose of 15mg clorazepate because of muscle tension combined with a nervous feeling and it did exactly what I was looking for. But if I would take a dose again today I would feel way more relaxed since it builds up because of the fact it's ER.

Maybe I need to add I don't really take much benzo's, only when I feel crippled by anxiety, tension or pressure. If I would take 3mg alprazolam I wouldn't be running around anymore, my usual dose is 0.25 or 0.5mg depending on how I feel and the task at hand!

Maybe I need to add I don't really take much benzo's, only when I feel crippled by anxiety, tension or pressure. If I would take 3mg alprazolam I wouldn't be running around anymore, my usual dose is 0.25 or 0.5mg depending on how I feel and the task at hand!

3mg alprazolam really shouldn't have that effect on me either. I started taking it again only last week because valium wasn't working (see original post in this thread). I have absolutely zero tolerance to alprazolam. You would think 3mg would knock me around, but nooooooo... I'm not complaining, but I kind of am ;)

Aight, so today I popped 60mg of diazepam + had two beers. This was about two hours ago. I'm feeling relaxed, but speedy at the same time, grinding my teeth and all...one day I take them and I feel all sluggish and relaxed, and the next day I'll take the same dose more or less and feel the exact opposite... What the fuck is the deal with benzos? I do have a tolerance though, so that might affect things a little bit, but I'm not getting that crazy dreamy euphoria I used to get off 30-40mg diazepam a couple of years ago... I'm thinking of taking 20mg more and drinking another beer later on see if it changes things a little bit. Mannn do I miss that dreamy, blissful diazepam euphoric feeling...