• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos New to NYC and need doctor to continue my Valium prescription

Status
Not open for further replies.

molly_bloom

Greenlighter
Greetings,

This is my first post.

I have recently moved to New York City from New Mexico. I have been treated for about ten years for a combination of insomnia, social anxiety, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. My psychiatrist and I arrived at a dosage of 1 mg clonazepam and 20 mg Valium at night after a lot of trial and error. While I realize that there might be a regional difference in prescribing practices, my new GP says that she does not know of anyone who would be willing to keep me on this medication regimen. I have not suffered side effects from these medications. Unfortunately, I am running out of both medications. Does anyone know of a doctor in or near NYC who would feel comfortable prescribing the medications that have helped me so much.

Thanks so much for your help.

Molly

That's not that much. It's much better to get these meds from a psychiatrist, as they feel much more comfortable prescribing benzos since it's one of their most commonly prescribed drugs. GP's don't USUALLY deal with benzos if they can help it.

Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer that I had asked my doctor about a referral to a psychiatrist and she told me that no one she knew would prescribe the medications I have been taking. I guess what I really need is the name of a specific psychiatrist somewhere near NYC who would be willing to help me.

I can't help you with that, but why wouldn't your GP make the referral? Just because she didn't think you'd get your prescriptions?

That doesn't really make sense.

She told me that anyone she would refer me to would be anti-benzo because she is staunchly so herself. I've tried calling random psychiatrists whose name I found online and while there are some who can give me an appointment in a few weeks, I don't have the time or money to "shop" the way I probably should.

No drug sourcing or dr shopping. Please read the BLUA you agreed to when joining.

If you have your medical records sent from your old psychiatrist's office to a new one, they really shouldn't have an issue getting you what you need. We can't tell you the names of specific doctors or anything of that sort though.

How many pills do you have left/how long have you been on this regime? You really don't wanna run out if you've been taking these pills for a while. Benzo w/d not only sucks, but it is very, very dangerous. If you can't find a doctor in time, maybe have your old doctor call in a refill to a pharmacy near you, just enough to get you by till you're able to see a new psych

And even if most doctors are anti-benzos, a psychiatrist should feel very comfortable getting you what you need. You're not on outrageously high doses of either medication. I'd be optimistic if I were you. Your 'script is a lot better than someone who's trying to find a doctor to keep on filling their "2 mg of xanax, 4 times a day"

I don't think you can get that sort of info here on Bluelight-it's sourcing... or, against the rules.

Just keep looking. It takes time to get in with Doctors, esp psychiatrists. IME, in all states you will find both tupes of Drs.-those who do and do not mind prescribing benzidiazapines. Sounds like the lady you are seeing is not right for you.

New York is tricky when it comes to phoning in controlled substance scripts. Basically, they can only phone in a five-day supply of the drug, and then it must be followed up by a mailed-in paper script. I know that Valium requires a paper script in NY for anything beyond five days. Typically, when a patient is leaving a psychiatrist, the former doctor provides a three-month supply of medications, but the tricky part is that a doctor cannot write a script for a ninety day supply of a controlled substance as they could for a drug like lithium.

You can go the APA website for psychiatrists in NYC. Be aware that psychiatrists in NYC rarely take insurance. Your current doctor really does owe you a referral. It's unethical for not to provide one. You're not asking her for an endorsement or a referral to a doctor that will continue your current regimen--that is between you and your new psychiatrist, not her. And I would not hesitate to tell her so.

Last edited:
As stated we dont allow sourcing on BL.

Please read the BLUA and the OD guidelines.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.