• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine why is that smoked cocaine (freebase/crack) has a much shorter duration than snorted.

pbuilder

Bluelighter
I was just thinking about it, and of course, when you vaporize cocaine and inhale it into your lungs, it is quickly absored by membranes in your lungs and enters your bloodstream within seconds.

But why does this make the high last a shorter duration? Surely your body still has to metabolize the cocaine anyways, just like when snorted.

Yet when you snort cocaine, it has a longer duration (typically it is stated 20-45 minutes), yet smoked cocaine typically is known to have a 5-10 minute high.

But what is it that makes the high dissipate so much quicker when smoked. When I have previously snorted cocaine, I tend to feel effects rather quickly, i'd even go as far as to say that the second I snort the line I already have an instant change in mood and feel effects immediately. Of course they get stronger over the next few minutes but, is it simply because the cocaine clings to the nose membrane and is slowly absored over the next 20 minutes, making it sort of "extended release" as opposed to the insant aborbtion that smoked cocaine offers.

Or is it because the body metabolizes it at a slower rate when absored through the mucas membrane? And why would this occur..

Anyways, that is all just wondering :p

PS. Tell me how pathetic it is, that I bought a gram on tuesday, intending to use it saturday night at a friends birthday at a club, and over the week it just kept calling me and at this point I've only got a .4g left. So you know what I did, I cut it myself a bit and turned it into a .6g because when I'm out partying at a club I love to have bigger lines just because it feels nicer to head to the bathroom and chop out a quick decent sized line(for me a regular line is 40-50mg, a "big" line 100mg(I know this isn't big but I've only used cocaine 16 times now to date:p) , and this way my baggie will feel like it lasts me longer now because it is a .6 now instead of a .4 and it won't run out at quick lmao... And generally when I'm drunk the fun is almost more in doing the line then the actual effects :/

Kinda sad that I did that lol but I didn't want to pick up more cocaine cause I wasted it during the week doing bumps and small lines lol.

Idk, smoked methamp lasts much shorter than snorted also.

Idk, smoked methamp lasts much shorter than snorted also.

yea this is especially weird because unlike cocaine, which is known for being a very short high in general, meth has a much longer high (8-12 hours +)

so the rate of absorption really shouldn't matter at all because the high is so long, that regardless of whether it is instantly taken into the blood stream (smoked), or slowly release through the mucus membrane over 20 minutes(snorted), the high should still be nearly as long once the drug is in your bloodstream, maybe -20 minutes for smoked to account for the slower absorption when snorted.

really doesn't make sense, would love for someone that is experienced to answer this phenomenon!