• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Celexa and Zoloft together

scaredgrl

Greenlighter
Hi I started taking celexa 20 mg a day and it was working really good. Well my doctor said that he wanted to start me on Zoloft so that he could increase the dosage as needed. I guess they can't prescribe a lot of celexa at one time now or something. Well I tried the zoloft today and I feel very wacky. I am super tired, my head is heavy, jaw clenching, strange taste, all that fun stuff8( I know that these are probably just the side effects from starting up something new but at this point I cannot afford to be this zonked and panicky. I am also taking 1 mg xanax a day, so I don't think that this is from anxiety. I would like to take the celexa instead because the only side effect i felt from that was an upset stomach...this zoloft is really messing with me.My question is I took 25mg of zoloft this morning- Is it ok to take 20 mg of celexa right now?:\

I wish the doctor would have just listened to me! God this is so frustrating, I told him celexa has been working really good but no that wasn't good enough for him, he just had to start me on these fucked up pills that are a lot more expensive! I don't even know if he will give me the celexa anymore! I am going to have to buy them from a different country or something!

Don't take the two together. Unless they are rx'd that way. Taking an ssri on top of an snri can cause seratonin syndrome, which is potentially fatal. Just wait and tomorrow you can switch back to celexa if you want, but don't take the two on top of one another.

Either way, you need to talk with your doctor about this.

Both are SSRIs. I've never heard of a doctor RXing two SSRIs together, so I'd seriously question his competence.

I don't think taking two SSRIs would cause serotonin syndrome, as long as the dosages were low. I'd imagine it being more of an average of the two drugs' effects, but that's just a wild guess.

I'd recommend talking to a pharmacist. They tend to know their stuff.

He told me to stop taking the celexa and start the zoloft today. He wanted me to take 50mg of the zoloft to start out with..I took 25mg. I am glad that I didn't take 50mg- I would have been feeling even worse. I read that when starting zoloft people often have increased panic and need to have xanax on hand for that. Just what I needed more panic...Idk what I am going to do. I want to follow doctors orders but why would he give me a drug with such strong side effects while I have been dealing with PTSD and other issues..I think I am going to try it once more tomorrow and if it is still making me feel spaced out and terrible, I am switching back to the celexa. Thanks for your replies

Tried it again today still feel like shit! I was doing some research about ssri's and came across a supplement called 5-htp. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it is safe......And would it be better/safer than an ssri?