• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids oxycodone ir vs Opana ir

macd610

Bluelighter
Hello All!

I'm sure the answer to my question is on here somewhere, but I am pretty new around here and had a hard time finding it.
I'm on 100mcg Fentanyl patch (changed every 2 days), and oxycodone immediate release (60mg 3-4 times per day).
Recently, I have found that the oxycodone, while giving me adequate pain relief, is just not lasting long enough. It usually wears off in 2 to 3 hours.
I spoke with my doctor about this and he said that if things dont improve within a month, he is going to switch me to immediate release Opana. He reassured me that he would make sure the dose of Opana would be equal to what I'm taking now in oxycodone.
If any of you out there have made this switch, I'd really appreciate any advice or experiences. It is always scary changing meds, especially when you are comfortable with what you are taking.... I just feel I'm doing too much clock watching, And hesitating to take my pills when I need them for fear of taking too many and running out. M.D. says Opana lasts longer? Again, I appreciate any insight and sorry if there's a thread exactly like this already! I felt it would be good for you guys to know exactly what I'm taking too.

oxycodone's half life is 3-4.5 hrs while oxymorphone (opana) is 7.25-9.43 hrs (via Wiki) so if you do switch, my guess is it will work great for you.. it lasts almost twice as long and if your dosage is equal to that of the previous med than you will have adequate pain relief also.
%)

For most people, oxymorphone (Opana) is better than oxycodone (Roxicodone, Percocet, etc) - in both duration and painkilling properties.

Some may find Opana's sedating (noddy) side effect to be a bit bothersome...if using it for pain management purposes.

I don't know if this is a good place for my question but, what's the best way to use Oxycontin 10mg, I've some pills, I heard that they are prolonged release. I've to crush and snort? what's a good startin' dose? I've no tolerance, used morphine, dextropropoxiphen, fentanyl but 1 or 2 times each one.

I stick to oxycodone due to I have no insurance and opana's are fuckin insanely priced super high at the pharmacy, i checked today for a friend, his script of 60qty 20mg opanas was $402. not all of us have insurance. if you do I would probably make the switch. good luck!

Last edited:
to Neighborhood Threat: The oxy ir I'm taking now almost makes me feel more energetic. This being the case, will Opana have that same quality? Or is it it generally more noddy than oxy ir?
Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Oxymorphone should give you energy in just the same way, if you dose equivalently. In fact, a little bit of oxycodone metabolizes into oxymorphone. They both are derivatives of Thebaine, which is known for being more stimulating.

Beware: Opana is a lot stronger than oxy. Taken orally it is 2x as potent as oxycodone, so 60mg of oxy, would be 30mg opana oral.

One thing to know, is that taken through other roa, opana is MUCH MUCH stronger than oxycodone. I believe sniffing oxymorphone raises the absorption so much, that it becomes five times more powerful than oxy. IV oxymorphone is something like 10x's as potent.

I only mention this as I couldnt really grasp wether you abuse your pain mess or not, but in the case you do sniff everyonce in a while. It's a good thing to know.

I don't know if this is a good place for my question but, what's the best way to use Oxycontin 10mg, I've some pills, I heard that they are prolonged release. I've to crush and snort? what's a good startin' dose? I've no tolerance, used morphine, dextropropoxiphen, fentanyl but 1 or 2 times each one.

You can F up your sinuses for good snorting these...up to you.

@Dr Rxpert There are generic oxymorphone IR pills available.
@kah8 Best way to use to new Oxycontins is let it dissolve in soda overnite and drink it. This will make entire dose available. Injection or insuffilation prep are a pain since they don't crush, and oral BA is high on it anyway.

Oxymorphone should give you energy in just the same way, if you dose equivalently. In fact, a little bit of oxycodone metabolizes into oxymorphone. They both are derivatives of Thebaine, which is known for being more stimulating.

Beware: Opana is a lot stronger than oxy. Taken orally it is 2x as potent as oxycodone, so 60mg of oxy, would be 30mg opana oral.

One thing to know, is that taken through other roa, opana is MUCH MUCH stronger than oxycodone. I believe sniffing oxymorphone raises the absorption so much, that it becomes five times more powerful than oxy. IV oxymorphone is something like 10x's as potent.

I only mention this as I couldnt really grasp wether you abuse your pain mess or not, but in the case you do sniff everyonce in a while. It's a good thing to know.

Thanks for letting me know. Truth be known, I don't abuse it, but I actually have my husband hold onto it for me because I feel if left up to me, I could definitely go overboard with them.
I read somewhere that Opana has very poor oral bioavailability-Im assuming that's taken into account when deciding on a dose??

Yes, most doctors are aware that it has a 10% oral bioavailability. Bring it up in case though.

If you'll take the pills orally, go for oxycodone. Much higher oral BA.

But a lot of people highly value opana IR. You can try both as time goes on, and see which one works best for you and your pain management.

Firstly, a BIG thank you to all of you who took the time to respond. It means alot to know how very supportive people are on this forum.

Secondly, this may very well be a silly question, considering what Znegative said about both drugs being derived from thebaine....BUT, one of my biggest fears is going through withdrawals if I make the switch. Reason being, I have run out a bit early before, and happened to have some Demerol and Dilaudid on hand. I happily (think I) figured out equivalent doses for each, and....STILL had some MISERABLE withdrawal symptoms!

Is this because these two drugs are not as closely related to Oxycodone as Opana? I figured they'd do fine for the 4-5 days I had to take them, but NO WAY lol. NOT a happy memory.

Thanks in advance for any answers!!

Hydromorphone is very closely related to Oxymorphone, I can't speak for the demerol but the Dilaudid SHOULD have alleviated your W/D.

Dilaudid has a low oral bioavailability. So maybe you misscalculated your dose. Dildaudid`s potency is about 7.5, but only if you i.v. it. Taken orally it`s as said much lower.

Firstly, a BIG thank you to all of you who took the time to respond. It means alot to know how very supportive people are on this forum.

Secondly, this may very well be a silly question, considering what Znegative said about both drugs being derived from thebaine....BUT, one of my biggest fears is going through withdrawals if I make the switch. Reason being, I have run out a bit early before, and happened to have some Demerol and Dilaudid on hand. I happily (think I) figured out equivalent doses for each, and....STILL had some MISERABLE withdrawal symptoms!

Is this because these two drugs are not as closely related to Oxycodone as Opana? I figured they'd do fine for the 4-5 days I had to take them, but NO WAY lol. NOT a happy memory.

Thanks in advance for any answers!!

Very unusual...Did you use equal mg's of the demerol & dilaudid or (most likely) more ?
These are very desireable drugs to have at your bed-side, if you are w/d'ing...

Very unusual...Did you use equal mg's of the demerol & dilaudid or (most likely) more ?
These are very desireable drugs to have at your bed-side, if you are w/d'ing...

I have been going nuts trying to remember the dosage of both of these drugs, and I finally dug up the paperwork that came with the prescriptions. They were given to me by my OBGYN after a surgery. He gave ne 8mg dilaudids, and when that didn't work, he gave me 100mg Demerol.
Anyway, I didn't use very many of either so fast-forward several months later...I found myself out of my regular oxycodone ir.
I took up to 6 Dilaudid, and 4 Demerol.
Maybe I messed up with the doses? I'm just wondering......Will this happen AGAIN if I make the switch to Opana? I know we can't predict the future here, but I would appreciate any educated guesses ;)
I really like my oxy ir ...again, it's a matter of it wearing off WAY too quickly :(. Based on what most have said, it'd be a good idea. Then I remembered this incident and figured it would be a good time to bring it up on here.
Sorry for the long post. Thank you ALL for helping me figure this thing out!