• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Equivalent doses of oxymorphone and methadone?

Hobble

Bluelighter
If one is switching from oxymorphone to methadone how does one account for the greatly different half-life's of oxymorphone vs. methadone?

On the conversion chart I looked at it says that 300mg oral oxymorphone per 24 hrs. is equivalent to 60mg methadone "chronic dosing".

But I am wondering if one really needs that much methadone due to the fact that a single dose of methadone lasts so much longer than a single dose of oxymorphone.

If one dose of oxymorphone lasts about 4 hours and you take about 5 doses per day, and one dose of methadone lasts about 24 hours, should you convert your sum total of daily oxymorphone doses?
Or should you just convert one dose of oxymorphone that lasts 4 hours into one dose of methadone that will last 24 hours?

If one is switching from oxymorphone to methadone how does one account for the greatly different half-life's of oxymorphone vs. methadone?

On the conversion chart I looked at it says that 300mg oral oxymorphone per 24 hrs. is equivalent to 60mg methadone "chronic dosing".

But I am wondering if one really needs that much methadone due to the fact that a single dose of methadone lasts so much longer than a single dose of oxymorphone.

If one dose of oxymorphone lasts about 4 hours and you take about 5 doses per day, and one dose of methadone lasts about 24 hours, should you convert your sum total of daily oxymorphone doses?
Or should you just convert one dose of oxymorphone that lasts 4 hours into one dose of methadone that will last 24 hours?

Well for pain you would be taking multiple doses of methadone, not just 60mg at once.

What is your current oxymorphone dosing schedule, like how many mgs every X amount of hours?

This wouldn't be for pain, it'd be for tapering. I would prefer to taper with something else but methadone might be the only thing I can get for a while. I've never taken methadone.

Basicly I snort about 1/3rd of an OpanaER 40mg pill about every 4 hours, except for when I'm sleeping. I can only sleep for about 6 hours before I wake up in withdrawls. That's just for staying comfortably"well", if I want to get high I'll snort 1/2 to 2/3 of an OpanaER 40mg pill. I could probably get by on 1/4 of a pill every 4 hours but I would be suffering.

I've had an opiate habit for a few years and I've done a couple successful tapers but they were from much smaller habits. I've also done one essentially cold turkey off about 40mg to 60mg Opana per day and it was hellish. I am scared of doing that again from an even bigger habit.