• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine tolerance fluctuations - Scared

JasperTheReckless

Bluelighter
My Diphenhydramine tolerance is on the fritz again, instead of building, it's dropping, this has me quite worried. I have been trying to find something to replace it, rather soon, as quitting cold turkey had failed so many times, I have stopped honestly believing I can do it. At the very least, I want to find out how I can make my use safer, as I have been screwing with Diphen and Dimen for four years solid now. I know how destructive they are, but I can't find any footholds to help myself drop them. Nothing compares imo.

In past years I could function in a school setting, on doses up to 500mg, 600mg on a rough day. I have experimented as far as I dare go in terms of high doses, I never pushed it past 2500mg, as every single 2.5g dose ended me in the ER, with crazy blood pressure, dehydration, and delirum, as well as heart problems for days following.

However, I am finding I can get threshold effects at 150mg, something I couldn't achieve with zero tolerance. I'm hoping to god I am just getting skilled at identifying effects, therefore needing less, as I know what to look for, but this sounds too good to be true.

Are there any known supplements that I can take after trips to help my body recover?

I hate being an addict, I've never felt so weak.

I was taking Diphenhydramine for months due to a medical issue, and my tolerance skyrocketed (or at least for me, 300 mg a day seemed incredibly horrible-I didn't want to be tripping).

I switched over to doxylamine succinate for a few days, then dropped that and took melatonin, though I feel like Valerian root would have worked better. I'm still having sleep issues, but I honestly prefer it to the delerium I was experiencing from taking Benadryl.

Gabapentin I have recently found is actually pretty good as a replacement, and 300 mg to me feels like a heavy dose of Diphenhydramin/Doxylamine without the erratic heart beats, shallow breathing, and psychological terror.

also check out Valerian root and kava. that's a shit load of diphen you're taking, but you don't need me to tell you that...

you could also try out phentabut, although the addiction issues with that are much more sever than anything else thus mentioned. do you have a doc? maybe they could put you on ambein or lunesta?

What kind of products should I look for with Dox? I can't find anything but Nyquil that contains it.

I have a script for Gaba, 600mg tabs. I am having some issues with getting it filled, I live quite far from my Doctor.

I have messed with Gaba, but to me it feels more euphoric, than DPH like; what's frustrating is I like impact the paranoia and heart rate have on the trip; it darkens it, and I've always been a fan of being scared while tripping. Gaba does help fight cravings however.

I won't/don't want to be scripted Ambien again, I took 300mg one evening, needless to say, it didn't go that great.

damn, good point op. dox comes in a variety of sleep aids, such as one called sominex or something. sometimes stores won't carry it, but 9/10 will sell SOME product or other for sleep that only contains dox

2500 mg ? Holy shit. I've never abused diphen but I would pop a handful everyday when I was deep into opiates to potentiate them. I am very sensitive to antihistamines now.

I think reverse tolerance is not unheard of. I can't even take a 10mg claritin now without feeling really groggy.

You should stop taking diphenhydramine or any anti-cholinergics. You are seriously messing with your memory with such abuse. Also taking a delirant at school? You sir need some help. You are just asking for trouble and potentially ruining your life for a shitty addiction with a BS drug. If you want to trip get your hands on a psychedelic drug and RESPECT THEM. Tripping regularly is bad idea.

I would have to agree with the above poster; you are definitely taking
your heart for a wild ride with your extreme usage. I'm certain it's time to slow WAY down before you lose the rest of any good health you have left!!

fuck get addicted to weed instead of diphenhydramine. If youre so inclined to using drugs use one that isn't as dangerous to abuse. If you can't find weed or don't have the money, and thats your rationalization for using diphenhydraminel, then you don't need to be playing around with drugs. Drugs are serious business and they can screw you up faster than you realize

they save being addicted to weed is like being kicked to death by a rabbit :p

what is that even supposed to mean?

I assume it means, as being kicked to death by a rabbit would take a long fucking time but as time goes on and on it would hurt more and more eventually killing you... So, according to the NA folks (who, not as NA members but at human beings, I have zero respect for FYI, just thought this was funny) who told me this little cliche, being addicted to weed would take a long fucking time to hurt/kill your, as opposed to something like crack or heroin which can lead to addiction and death much much much more quickly, but even then it'll still get you eventually... iono

I can't find anything to put in it's place. I've never done anything like it :(

what about dxm, have you ever done that? I imagine that it has a similar spaced feeling/delirium to diphen, but tbh I never have gotten off on diphen (and never intend to, although I do take a high dose, 100-150mg every day for other reasons) so who knows...

if he has an addiction to diphenhydramine I could see him getting addicted to DXM just as fast and using it in stupid situations like school as well. It also have short-term side-effects for memory and conditioning. Not a good drug to abuse everyday, or multiple times a week. Since he has a drug problem already he needs to find something if he chooses to continue to be irresponsible to find a drug that would have less side-effects/harm, so when he realizes he needs to cut all this shit out he wont be left with his life in shambles. As much as I hate to say get addicted to anything, but being addicted to weed would be a lot better choice. Better than alcohol, better than opiates or benzos, better than these OTC drugs, etc. Its also something someone can bounce back from with relative ease when they realize they are being idioits.

Maybe it's time to evaluate your life and situation.
Maybe it's time to take a step back and look at yourself and say "what the hell am I doing" and "WHY?".

I am inclined to say that quitting a daily DPH schedule is mostly willpower. I mean, do you want to stop this, or are you indifferent? You can only be helped if you are willing to stop, and see why it's nescessary fir your own good, from your point of view.

I would like to stop my use of DPH, I just keep seeming to drift back to it; every time I quit, I can go good for a couple months, but then I start talking myself into believing I could easily control the drugs. It's the whole "never doing drugs again' thing, it's inimidating.

I have issues with both DXM and DPH, I am at a point where a week clean is a strange happening.

That being said, i'm at that point now, and hanging on. Life shit in my face and DPH is the only thing that stops my itching from some new allergy, 's not fair. I take two when I can't stand it, but it feels like i'm playing with fire.

Last edited:
It's toxic, I know. I'm getting a little flustered that all anyone says is it's dangerous, and non-recreational. I obviously know it's dangerous, and I do use it recreationally. I'm a bit hard headed and I tend to process, deal, and plan better when I have a set of facts in front of me. I am trying to figure out what it is doing to my body. The last few days has me scared as fuck, I had been off it for several days, when I awoke to smoke visuals, fuzzies on edges of objects, and glitching objects in my peripheral vision (for those who don't know, these are DPH trip effects). I am working my mind around the possibility that this drug could in fact kill me one day, but for some reason I am too stunned by that to fully comprehend it. I feel like my body is trying to die out from under me and I am scared. I miss it when I don't have it, I think about it, when I'm on it, my world becomes silent, and slows, and my worries leave, I don't feel scared. I can truly sit and not think. This is hard to let go.

What could it be doing to me that I get mild visuals off of 50mg's nowadays?

Last edited: