• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Truly Staggering Cost Of Inventing New Drugs

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
During the Super Bowl, a representative of the pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly posted the on the company’s corporate blog that the average cost of bringing a new drug to market is $1.3 billion, a price that would buy 371 Super Bowl ads, 16 million official NFL footballs, two pro football stadiums, pay of almost all NFL football players, and every seat in every NFL stadium for six weeks in a row. This is, of course, ludicrous.

The average drug developed by a major pharmaceutical company costs at least $4 billion, and it can be as much as $11 billion.

cont at
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthew...partner=forbespicks&google_editors_picks=true

My question is how can these underground chemists push out so many new designer drugs a year if its so expensive?

Probably because they don't need to be put through any sort of safety testing before they are unleashed on the public, I'd imagine thats what makes coming up with new pharms so expensive.

What makes it expensive is on top of all the money spent on making the pill, testing, marketing, big pharma has to make bank on top of it.

The entire medical field should be completely non-profit.

Right now we pay for the research for the drug, then the marketing, then we pay the profits on top of the heavy marketing that was done in order to...make big pharma more profit.

Last edited:
i read somewhere only 1 out of every 100 drugs that make it to human testing continue onto clinical use, the majority end up with unexpected side effects, i think the figures may be lower
whereas these "designer" drugs are just thrown out with no thought given to side effects or long term safety