• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Under the Dome - Stephen King

Intrinsic man

Bluelighter
King is by far my favorite novelist. I have read most of his books (not all, thank God), and this one is really exceptional. It's one of those books where you absolutely HAVE to know how it ends. It's called Under the Dome and was released in 2009 I believe. This is certainly one of his masterpieces, but of course, I have yet to finish it.

I was wondering if there were any other King enthusiasts lurking around these parts? Has anyone read this particular novel of his yet?

PLEASE no spoilers :)

I'm not much of a King fan, I love Huxley instead. But I know my brother loves his works to the extent that it's just about the only novels he ever reads. I'll have to let him know about it. Is it a classic King with the suspense and horror?

Actually not really. Of course you will find some horror throughout the book but it's main focus is on mystery/suspense. The character development is great, I would recommend this even to those who aren't a fan of King.

Any Huxley I should check out?

Huxley: "A Brave New World" (fiction) & "The Doors of Perception" (non-fiction). Personally, I'm not a big fan of his (Huxley's) other work. A lot of it, including "Doors of Perception", borders on pretentious.

As for King, I think he's best book is "On Writing." His fiction is a little too repetitive for me; it's typically beautifully written, but there just isn't enough variation to keep me coming back. I've read maybe twelve King novels. They all had common factors:

1 A small middle-American town, most commonly in Maine.
2 A protagonist that is a professional writer.
3 An ensemble of quaint country-folk characters.
4 A creepy nursery rhyme, often repeated throughout the novel in italics; the juxtaposition of innocence and horror.
5 References to childhood trauma.
6 One dimensional villians; the bad guys are pretty much always pure evil.
7 Overly verbose descriptions.
8 Alcoholism, painted from an exterior perspective.
9 City-folk interacting with country-folk.
10 Supernatural elements/ entities/ abilities.

I liked Carrie (a novel about a girl with telekenetic powers), then I read Firestarter (about a girl who can burn things with her mind). I read the Shining (about a writer from the city who goes to the country to work on his novel), then I read Misery (about a writer from the city who goes to the country to work on his novel). I read The Tommyknockers (about a country town led astray by temptation), then I read Needful things (about a country town led astray by temptation). I read Cujo (about a killer dog), then Christine (about a killer car).

Carrie, The Shining, Needful Things, Misery & The Tommyknockers are great novels. His ability to write elevates the absurd and thematically repetitive subject matter of his work. It is all highly readable. It is engaging. But, I don't think he challenges himself enough as a writer. Because of the massive number of similarities between his work, a lot of the characters are interchangeable from novel to novel. He actually re-uses characters and character names from book to book. See: Randall Flagg, for example.

King is like a prolific romance novelist. He is, apparently, content to keep cashing cheques regardless of wheter or not he has something to say. His books appear to be written largely due to compulsion and/or the sheer momentum of his career. I like it when he has something to say. The Tommyknockers is probably my favorite of his novels, because - through his fiction - he delves into his own drug abuse. The book, as all good books should, poses questions. It gets the reader thinking. Therefore, there is compelling enough subtext to justify my reading five hundred pages.

He's such a fantastic writer. It's a shame that he limits himself to a finite selection of plot-driven supernatural suspense stories. "On Writing" proves that he is capable of so much more. If I ever read King again, I will finish The Dark Tower series. Though, his fantasy books fall into many of the same traps as his horror. Sprawling, overly verbose, descriptions. Monochromatic Good vs. Evil. Middle-American country environments. Every time I read King, I get a sense of deja-vu - and that's not a good thing.

Stephen King's books are too popular. He is like the McDonald's of popular literature. I know so many people who have read practically all of his novels, despite having read very little else. I used to fall into that category. Since broadening my horizons, I have little to no interest in picking up one of his books. From what I've heard, his more recent novels (post car accident) are all terrible.

Huxley: "A Brave New World" (fiction) & "The Doors of Perception" (non-fiction). Personally, I'm not a big fan of his (Huxley's) other work. A lot of it, including "Doors of Perception", borders on pretentious.

Although Doors of Perception may be borderline pretentious, it is rather informative on his experience and an enjoyable read; and 'heaven and hell' is a great sequel. Also, the particular reason why I'm a fan of Huxley is because his novel, Brave New World, introduced me to classic literature. If it weren't for Huxley, I may have never chosen Literature as my major for University.

And yes, I'll agree that King is extremely commercial. I've never had any reason to read his works partly because of that.

Last edited:
Despite being pretentious, "Perception" is one of my favorite books. "Heaven and Hell" is also good. I disagree with a lot of what he says in them, and they are crammed full of unintentional irony; still, I can't help admiring Huxley's ambition. What he's attempting to do is impossible.

"Brave New World" is one of the most accomplished pieces of Science Fiction I have ever read. It is, without question, Huxley's best literary work. The rest of his fiction I have very little patience for.

It is late and I do not have the will nor the competence to compose a response adequate enough to be considered tolerable on a literary level, especially with such an audience. I am a student of literature, that is I humbly submit to the fact that I know nothing, which is confirmed with almost every intellectual spark of conversation I initiate. This particular one being of no exception.

It is especially odd and remarkable that you happened to take an interest in this thread, ForEverAfter. Since reading your trip report, which was done tonight, I have been fixated on what you had to say. You are an excellent writer. Your words were smooth and deliberate, an aspiration I have always had. Perhaps we can further this discussion after an impending sobering slumber I am overdue in taking! I have many questions regarding the aforementioned report.

It is late and I do not have the will nor the competence to compose a response adequate enough to be considered tolerable on a literary level, especially with such an audience. I am a student of literature, that is I humbly submit to the fact that I know nothing, which is confirmed with almost every intellectual spark of conversation I initiate. This particular one being of no exception.

It is especially odd and remarkable that you happened to take an interest in this thread, ForEverAfter. Since reading your trip report, which was done tonight, I have been fixated on what you had to say. You are an excellent writer. Your words were smooth and deliberate, an aspiration I have always had. Perhaps we can further this discussion after an impending sobering slumber I am overdue in taking! I have many questions regarding the aforementioned report.

You could have just messaged him that.

You could have just messaged him that.

You could have just messaged him that, also?

Intrinsic, I'm sorry for derailing your thread. You said "King is my favorite writer," and I took a dump on him. I was very high when I wrote what I wrote. It didn't occur to me that I was devaluing your opinion. You are certainly competent enough to produce a "tolerable" response. You have demonstrated as much. Don't sell yourself short.

As for the trip report, I appreciate your praise; flattery will get you everywhere.

Last edited:
King is one of my favorite writers. I love horror, and King is good, albeit in a more straight-forward, "pop" style of prose

his best novels are the Stand (post apocalyptic, heaven + hell, military-invented super-virus) and the Shining

his best series is the Dark Tower (which I am finally almost finished with!)

and a fan of Huxley says that King is "overtly verbose"? LOL

I am not a big King fan with but I downloaded the Dome to my iPad so I could listen to it while driving back and forth to my boyfriends house ( he lives 4 hours away so a bit of a hike). I really liked this book.

I'm not a fan of Huxley. As I said I dislike most of his work. Having said that, "The Doors of Perception" is less than fifty pages long, as is "Heaven and Hell", and "Brave New World" is around the 250 mark. He doesn't write long sprawling narratives; his work is not particularly verbose, certainly not in comparison to King.

Intrinsic, I'm sorry for derailing your thread. You said "King is my favorite writer," and I took a dump on him. I was very high when I wrote what I wrote. It didn't occur to me that I was devaluing your opinion. You are certainly competent enough to produce a "tolerable" response. You have demonstrated as much. Don't sell yourself short.

There would be absolutely no value in conversation if nobody spoke their mind, I actually agree with a lot of what you said. King is to me what weed is to a successful 40 year old business man with a family; a guilty pleasure. That phrase does not entirely do him justice, however. Like you said his novels are generally beautifully written, he as immense talent. I am guilty in the fact that I do not ask for more, but like every justly accused man I have something to blame; college. I get enough pseudo-intellectual literature, King comes as a pleasant change.

King is my favorite novelist, that is, storyteller. I do not know who my favorite writer is. That is a question I will not be able to answer for some time. I don't know anything, remember? If you have any writers you think I would enjoy, I would love to hear them. I will be messaging you soon, as Nozphexezora suggested.

Also, I kind of like King's verbosity.

Last edited:
King is one of my favorite writers. I love horror, and King is good, albeit in a more straight-forward, "pop" style of prose

his best novels are the Stand (post apocalyptic, heaven + hell, military-invented super-virus) and the Shining

his best series is the Dark Tower (which I am finally almost finished with!)

The Dark Tower is next on my list, I have heard nothing but good things. There is a mini series on The Stand which is a direct interpretation of the book. It is appropriately called "The Stand" and is on the Netflix instant watch list if you're interested in watching it. It's kind of cheezy and out of date, but I liked it.

Funny you should mention "The Stand" mini series. I assume you're talking about the one with Gary Sinise. If so, I like it. I also like the TV movie of "It". Both of them capture the essence of King; they are long and sprawling with slow character development and attention to detail. A lot of his film adaptations (excluding Darabont) are wittled down to the standard 90 minute mark and bludgeoned with a Hollywood mallet. "The Stand" is a masterpiece; not my favorite King novel, but probably his best. My favorite writer is probably Chuck Palahnuik, who is best known for "Fight Club". He wrote a horror novel, comprised of a series of indirectly related short stories, called "Haunted". It is an amazing book. In terms of science fiction I'd recommend Alastair Reynolds, Philip K. Dick & Robert Heinlein. If you don't want to commit to a novel, try some of their short stories. "Understanding Time and Space", by Reynolds; "Diamond Dogs", by Reynolds; "Waldo", by Heinlein. Dick tends to be a bit lazy with his short stories. His novels are better. "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich" is a masterpiece. I just finished reading "Glue" by Irivine Welsh. It takes a long time to get into it, but is a very rewarding read and a hugely ambitious novel. Having said that, Welsh is more thematically and stylistically repetitive than King. If you're intent on Horror, Clive Barker is interesting assuming you can get past the homoeroticism. At the moment I'm reading "Moby Dick".

Funny you should mention "The Stand" mini series. I assume you're talking about the one with Gary Sinise. If so, I like it. I also like the TV movie of "It". Both of them capture the essence of King; they are long and sprawling with slow character development and attention to detail. A lot of his film adaptations (excluding Darabont) are wittled down to the standard 90 minute mark and bludgeoned with a Hollywood mallet. "The Stand" is a masterpiece; not my favorite King novel, but probably his best. My favorite writer is probably Chuck Palahnuik, who is best known for "Fight Club". He wrote a horror novel, comprised of a series of indirectly related short stories, called "Haunted". It is an amazing book. In terms of science fiction I'd recommend Alastair Reynolds, Philip K. Dick & Robert Heinlein. If you don't want to commit to a novel, try some of their short stories. "Understanding Time and Space", by Reynolds; "Diamond Dogs", by Reynolds; "Waldo", by Heinlein. Dick tends to be a bit lazy with his short stories. His novels are better. "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich" is a masterpiece. I just finished reading "Glue" by Irivine Welsh. It takes a long time to get into it, but is a very rewarding read and a hugely ambitious novel. Having said that, Welsh is more thematically and stylistically repetitive than King. If you're intent on Horror, Clive Barker is interesting assuming you can get past the homoeroticism. At the moment I'm reading "Moby Dick".

I remember trying to read "The Stand" when I was a young kid, not being able to I turned to the miniseries. I am now re-watching it and surprisingly I like it just as much as when I was 7. I actually tried to throw it in the que for opiate and movie night, but my friend (who is my sole companion on these holy of days) just doesn't understand. We are currently in a Kubrick stage, having watched "A Clockwork Orange" and "Full Metal Jacket" in a subsequent manner, so perhaps we can watch "The Shining". A brilliant movie although it does not reflect the novel in the way "The Stand" does. King was not a fan of this adaptation, If I recall. Didn't King actually make his own movie?

Thanks for the suggestions. While horror is not the only genre I enjoy, I suppose I will check out "Haunted" first and go from there.

King tends to like the long mini-series version of his novels though "Rose Red," the mini-series written by King and not adapted from one of his novels, was horrible.

If you intend to read "Haunted," keep in mind that it is a fucking weird book. Read at least half of it before you allow yourself to become disinterested. I'm only saying this because I've recommended, and leant, the book to shitloads of people and a large number of them haven't got through it. It is so ground-breaking and original a novel that - at times - I too found myself disconnected. Having said that, it is hilarious, disturbing and poetic. The chapters vary enormously, from mildly interesting to utterly briliant. It is possible to read it intermittently, due to the fact that a lot of the stories are seemingly unrelated to the novel at large. It can be read as a book of short stories. Don't do this. Everything ties together. The payoff is there. I assure you.

King tends to like the long mini-series version of his novels though "Rose Red," the mini-series written by King and not adapted from one of his novels, was horrible.

Well, after all, horror is his strong suite.

As far as being able to get through "The Haunted", if I can finish "The Gay Science" I think i'll be alright.