Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - 'Skunk' user's sister speaks about drug after his death

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Maidenhead Advisor

12:15 Thu 09 Feb 2012 Written by John Balson

With reader comments

A warning about the dangers of 'skunk' cannabis have been backed by the sister of a Marlow man who hanged himself from a tree after suffering years of paranoid schizophrenia. Christopher Benning, 30, of Berwick Road, was discovered by dog walkers in Hatchet Wood, Frieth, on April 9, last year. He had smoked 'stronger forms' of cannabis from the age of 14 and was diagnosed mentally ill at 19. His younger sister Juliet, 29, said: "Chris was a troubled soul who lived the latter part of his life plagued by paranoia and fear."

Bucks coroner Richard Hulett 'underscored' the dangers of skunk. He said he had seen 'far too many inquests' where young men 'whose brains were not yet hard-wired' had suffered years of mental illness after smoking the drug.

"It seems to me to be compelling evidence against a substance which is half marketed to be legalised as almost healthy and no more harmful than other things," he said. "But it is actually the starting point to mental illness and schizophrenia."

The inquest heard Mr Benning had later smoked heroin and cocaine and was convicted of burglary and criminal damage and served time at Woodhill Prison in Milton Keynes.

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co...peaks-about-drug-after-his-death-09022012.htm

So now they are targeting specific strains of marijuana? What's next? News stories of NL #5 causes people to jump off roofs and Train Wreck causing people to run into oncoming trains?

Which was the study that said that a predisposition to paranoid schizophrenia leads to drug-seeking behavior? That people do not go crazy because of weed, but rather that people who are in the process of going crazy tend to seek weed out?

Out of curiosity, why is hanging such a common form of suicide? There are many easier ways to blow out the candle.

^It may be because once you tie the noose, slip it around your neck and jump/kick the stool there's usually no going back. Either your neck breaks and you die then, your neck breaks and you suffer til you die, or you simply asphyxiate. Other methods of offing yourself often give the chance for your survival instincts to kick in.

if someone drinks shit loads of strong alcohol at 14 till 30 they'd be fucked too. What a shit article. People over 18 have developed alot more mentally and physically and if it was to be legalised it would be for over 18's or 21. Comparing someone who abused it at such a young age to the link of mental illness and schizophrenia sux (some people are born that way anyway) and then he abused heroin and cocaine.. What a shit article. Sorry to be unsympathetic. I dont smoke weed anymore but i did from 17-30ish and most of it was strong hydro stuff, skunks and the like, me and none of my friends who did as well have any issues what so ever, no jail time, not busted for anything at all, no health issues, and good, decent people... I dont use weed anymore for the main reason its a rip off here price wise and hard to get for me now after moving away from the city, and for the legal reasons (jobs i go for have police checks) somewhat too, but i'm all for it being marketed and sold to anyone who wonts it over the age of 18 or 21. And shit loads of tax for the governments instead of huge profits by often criminal syndicates.

Skunk killed my brother.
Of course, he was mental disturbed, schizophrenic, depressed, used heroin and coke with uncertain levels of purity, engaged in risky behavior, and didn't value his own life until he finally died by his own hand.
But those are just details.
The real culprit is SKUNK!

wat i dont understand is why does skunk according to them cause schizophrenia and not any other strains a weed? they all have the same ingredients. stupid fucks

Over in merry old england, our media/politicians refer to any remotely good weed as skunk. It's always skunk this and skunk that.

It's super strength don't you know?! lmao

Of course, he was mental disturbed, schizophrenic, depressed, used heroin and coke with uncertain levels of purity, engaged in risky behavior, and didn't value his own life until he finally died by his own hand. But those are just details.The real culprit is SKUNK!

More classic sayings by Slim. Too funny. I saved about 3 of the best sarcasms in a word doc they are so good. When I save up a good amount I'll give them back to Slim so he can publish. :D

haven't you kept up with DARE class?
this marijuana today is not yesterdays pot... its super auto purple skunk grandaddy haze and its pure evil. if you smoke it you will become paranoid schizo and die.

at least that's what the media seems to spew out every few months to reaffirm it to the generl populus who think publications like the daily mail have any credibility...

More classic sayings by Slim. Too funny. I saved about 3 of the best sarcasms in a word doc they are so good. When I save up a good amount I'll give them back to Slim so he can publish. :D

:) Thanks for the kind words, JackARoe!

Skunk killed my brother.
Of course, he was mental disturbed, schizophrenic, depressed, used heroin and coke with uncertain levels of purity, engaged in risky behavior, and didn't value his own life until he finally died by his own hand.
But those are just details.
The real culprit is SKUNK!
lmfoa jeez slim you may as well write the articles for them

It's amazing how a mentally ill person smoked weed and somehow it was weeds fault he was mentally ill. What if he was already destined to be mentally ill and he just wanted to get high? If I develop a cancer and I own a car does that mean because I drove my car that my car gave me cancer? Just because I used my car? Even though I was already destined to get cancer it was the cars fault just because I drove it (which makes no sense in the same way their argument makes sense). I don't think the media over there think over their stories. Do they bother to think about the other millions of people who are perfectly just fine? Out of millions of people using ofc someone will have to have some problems with them, doesn't mean the weed caused it!

Why aren't there stories "weed makes you incredibly rich and successful" (e.g. Richard Branson), he obviously became rich and successful because he smoked weed (if we're using the same logic the media does). If someone used weed how come it is automatically the culprit to all of their problems but the resolution to none? It really does sicken me sometimes how blind some people can be.

/end emotional blurb about marijuana

what if the average non drug user just doesnt really have a good grasp of how many people actually use drugs. i think they just really have no idea how many people actually use drugs, combined with the fact the only material in the press about drugs is all negative content so "normal people" think that the only effects drugs have are bad. They simply never hear of all the drug users who experience neutral or positive experiences with drug use. its just a complete misunderstanding created through years of misinformation and propaganda.

I just don't understand what "normal" non drug using people think we get out of getting high. When all they see is horror stories and propaganda.

They must think of us as retards..

I know a few people who've never used or been around drugs, one of them told me she "hates drugs and people that use them". I've managed to change her views slightly to the point where I can smoke green around her without her caring, but it's a slow process. Ironically, she drinks every other night to the point where she always blacks out and injures or embarrasses herself. But that's OK, because it's legal. "You're allowed to do it". 8(

My brother used Skunk once when he was 14 and then died in a car accident at 18, their is no doubt in my mind that his use of skunk at 14 caused this accident and his death.

8)

No my brother it not really dead, and I love him and never wish him to die in an accident. :)

Chicken/egg... I find it funny that they mentioned the legalization. I know it was MUCH harder for me to get alcohol in high school than it was for me to get pot or cocaine. Hell, I got asked by at least 5 people per day if I wanted any pot, ecstasy or pharms. I was never asked if I wanted any alcohol. I am 24 years old and have probably drank alcohol 30-40 times maximum in the last 8 years.

If pot were legal, our tender brains could develop without issue (not like there is one) because younger people would have a harder time getting it. Sure, for the first few years 21yr.+ people would mark up legal weed so it can be sold at schools. After a year or two everyone would realize how small the return is.

Kids are always going to want to get high, especially from marijuana. Take all the synthetics as an example. I am sure a lot of people realize those smoking blends are a mixture of possibly harmful chemicals but they are taking that risk just to get a weed high!!! That should say it all to the law makers.

^It may be because once you tie the noose, slip it around your neck and jump/kick the stool there's usually no going back. Either your neck breaks and you die then, your neck breaks and you suffer til you die, or you simply asphyxiate. Other methods of offing yourself often give the chance for your survival instincts to kick in.

Id just like to clarify that it's not a foolproof method by any means. A guy a know had a brother that tried to hang himself but he was found barely alive and lived out the rest of his horrible existence brain dead. I think he lasted 5 years or so but I'm not too sure.

WTF is up with this targeting of certain types of cannabis? How is one strain any worse then the other? I as well as most people i know have smoked a fair bit of skunk weed over the years and are none the worse for it. I remember getting the most awesome sativa strains back in the mid 90's and one joint of that would have you well fucked for 5 hours or so. We where none the worse for it that's for sure.

This is all sounding like reefer madness all over again and what amazes me is that there are some stupid enough to believe it. As someone who suffers from bipolar disorder i find that it helps with the mania as well as depression. Id be willing to guess that many self medicate whatever mental illness they have with cannabis as well.

That damn evil weed :X . I mean it's not like noone ever killed themselves after getting drunk now have they? :\