• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy DXM Thread (archive start - 12-13-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about gingko biloba? I've taken it on the same day as ayahuasca and didn't notice any problems. Would any problems be likely with gingko and psychadelics?

EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS POINT HAS BEEN CLEANED

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been about 5-6 years since I've done DXM. It was always in the form of diabetic cough syrup (no dyes or sugar etc), usually 1.5 small bottles was the dosage (around 300mg total). Funnily enough, word soon spread and the local drugstore must have wondered why teenagers were buying diabetic cough syrup in the middle of the summer.

I usually found the low plateau experiences very rewarding. The thought of cough syrup still makes me shiver, but as already mentioned the new(er) Robitussin DM Cough Gels seem like they could be a great alternative. I used to have whole bunch of Dexalone but they expired so I just threw them away.

I think I might try a 300mg trip soon, something different from the "normal" phen/trypt type experience. Has anyone experienced any cross-tolerance with tryptamines/phenethylamines?

Picked up some Delsym last night, wanted to try out the Dextromethorphan polistirex. Took it around 7:30, took a good hour 45 or so to feel the initial effects. Started playing halo, good fun, listenin to music. Went out to a friends house to hang out, ended up somkin a blunt or two, started feeling really good, nice euphoria, not too intense of a trip. And damn, i dont know if its beacuse its time released, but im havin the best hangover this morning, and music still sounds good as shit. After doin zicam a couple weeks ago this was a nice change. Ied recomend it, i think its 544mg for the 3 oz bottle, and 888mg for the 5 oz bottle.

Pink1966Floyd said:
Picked up some Delsym last night, wanted to try out the Dextromethorphan polistirex. Took it around 7:30, took a good hour 45 or so to feel the initial effects. Started playing halo, good fun, listenin to music. Went out to a friends house to hang out, ended up somkin a blunt or two, started feeling really good, nice euphoria, not too intense of a trip. And damn, i dont know if its beacuse its time released, but im havin the best hangover this morning, and music still sounds good as shit. After doin zicam a couple weeks ago this was a nice change. Ied recomend it, i think its 544mg for the 3 oz bottle, and 888mg for the 5 oz bottle.

I usually take approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of any DXM dose (note that I only go for the third plateau) as polistirex about an hour before consuming the rest as DXM citrate (via Agent Lemon). It could just be drug user superstition, but I really feel like it adds something to the trip. I've commented before about how DXM (through conversion to DXO) weakens your body's ability to metabolize more DXM (which is how Plateau Sigma trips work), so it makes a bit of sense also that having a certain amount of DXM being time released would alter the trip.

It could all be bullshit, but hey, it works for me. :p

DXM and Suboxone

Anyone here ever tried using DXM while on Suboxone???

DXM and SSRI's....the truth?

It seems to be widely agreed that combining DXM with MAO inhibitors is quite dangerous (possibility of serotonin syndrome). Some claim that this danger is also present when combining DXM with SSRI's, yet less research has been done regarding this combo.

I would like some people to share personal experiences regarding using DXM while on an SSRI.

I take 150 mg of Sertraline (Zoloft) on a daily basis and have had about five DXM experiences which were all positive. My DXM dose is typically between 300-500mgs.

Is it possible that combining DXM with SSRI's only becomes dangerous when using large quantities of DXM (far exceeding those I have mentioned)?

Is it possible that different SSRI's cause different effects when combined with DXM?

So if you have used DXM while on an SSRI, please report what SSRI it was, what the DXM dose was, and what the overall experience was like.

Any and all info and insight are appreciated.

I found lexapro and paxil to have almost no subjective effect on the experience at all, just significantly more nausea. It was 40mg paroxatine and about 500 mg of dxm, and 20mg of lexapro with about 500mg (on seperate occasions of course). The only real change was the nausea.

i have never personally taken DXM while on an SSRI but my friend was on 10mg Lexapro a day and we both drank one 4oz bottle (containing i think 354mg DXM each), i got the robo itch and slightly dissociated (not as much as i used to b/c i was taking either wellbutrin or st. john's wort at the time).

My friend got no reaction at all, besides feeling a little sick as egor mentioned.

After reading on here it is a potentially dangerous I got worried but i figured if he got serotonin syndrome from it, it would have happened already, and also i didn't force him to take it, but i did introduce him to it... oh well, he's ok and so are you guys.

Do they think DXM works on serotonin or something like Tramadol? Is that why its bad to mix?

3 said:
Although not an SSRI, I found no change in effects when combined with Welbutrin.

i found it to be less intense. more itchy. not as enjoyable. (however it is possible i was on st. john's wort and NOT wellbutrin at this time) can't remember, it was one of the two tho

terrapintraveler said:
dxm + ssri = very bad things...I did it in my younger more foolish years...learn from others, don't do it!!

Can you elaborate on the "very bad things?" That was sort of the point of the thread...I wanted some personal experiences good or bad regarding the combo, not just preaching.

shvender hoot said:
What can I do to keep my heart rate down while tripping on DXM? I love the DXM trip, but my heart rate (100 ~ 120 bpm) always gives me anxiety

hey, just think of it as exercise for your heart,, knda the same rate as you might expect in running a marathon:)

Wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this on dxm before...

This was by far my worst experience with any drug and more far-out and scarier than any acid trips.

I had been doing dxm for a while... would take 750mg every month or so to have a good time. The majority of them were pleasant experiences with the occasional, just plain confusing one.

Well on New Years 2006 I did my usual 750mg and threw up for the first time. I was not feeling right at all and wondered if it had to do with the different brand of syrup. (though I don't see why that would matter, DXM was the only active ingredient)

Well to make a long story short I took a gravity bong hit of weed and my mind started racing uncontrollably. I ran to the toilet and puked again. Then there was just a void of some amount of time where I'm not sure what happened. I could faintly recall hearing someone scream and seeing someone else throwing up.

I'm not sure if I had a seizure, a concussion, or what but I regained partial consciousness and found myself lying on the bathroom floor. Everything was moving in frames, (like 3-4 frames per second). And I was completely paralyzed. I saw my dead arms and legs lying in front of me and knew there was no chance of me getting up. I've never done ketamine but have wondered if this was the equivalent to the K-hole or some other form of extreme dissociation. I was getting psychedelic type visuals and all around distortion of the space around me. (After I got up I realized I was in a completley different position and place than I initially perceived.) I lied there for some time and became convinced my body had died and I was going through the final stages of brain activity before I'd be gone for good. I'm an atheist and all around spiritual skeptic but I began praying and begging God to help me through. After a while I thought I might pull through but suffer from permanent brain/body damage. After some time I stood up and was still seeing in frames until I got some rest. (I was about to call for an ambulance but a friend suggested seeing how I felt after I slept)
I woke up the next day completely normal, and without a hangover. My irresponsible "friends" said they saw me keel over in the bathroom and let out some animalistic moan when I hit the floor.

Haven't touched DXM since but the next time I smoked bud I had a mild flashback of that night and was re-experiencing the mental state I was in for just a few seconds. So I'm sure the weed played a significant part in all that mess.

Last edited:
hello!,

Ok so ive done dxm about 5 times, i quite like it, a nice buzz, real emotional buzz(for me) which i like, its a nice change from things i guess. Anyway, most times ive done 600-700mg, once i did 1000mg, and after about 2 hrs(started buzzing about 1hr i guess) i thought id just drink the remainder, even though i KNEW i would vomit i just chugged it and... VOMITTED! into a big bowl, looked absolutly vial, anyway, my syrup days are over, im gonna start doing extractions, now, how the hell much dxm do i need to do to get to 4th platue? im 70kilo's, and 6ft. Im gonna buy 2 bottles this friday and do extraction, im HOPING its enough, maybe i should buy 3? (600mg per bottle)... ive read that 2500mg+ and you risk dieing from OD, so seen as i dont trip THAT hard from a 600-1200mg dose, do you think a 1800mg dose would be too much and permanently damage me?

*this is just me and could be very different to you*

Last edited:
Krowsnose,
I imagine the brand of DXM has some other non-active ingredient that increased the nausea to the point of throwing up, maybe an artificial sweetener? Once you were feeling uncomfortable from the experience the weed just magnified that 100x, when I smoking weed on DXM I prefer joints as its easier to titrate my doses. I've hit my head on DXM, its a cheap way to go to the next plateau, lol joking...its not a nice way to go to the next plateau :)

Glad your ok now, just see it as an experience and try to integrate it.

moonyham,
If 1200mg is your highest dose and you didn't trip that hard then I suggest you leave it. I'm the same, 1200mg is a high third plateau, which while intense isn't enough to break into the 4th plateau unless I'm smoking weed as well. 20mg/kg is where things start to get dangerous, so for me 60kg that makes 1200mg my limit. If you do decide to go higher just go to 1400mg, if thats still no good wait a bit (pref a least a month, but thats your choice) and then next time try 1600mg.

I know its annoying because you buy it in 600mg increments, if your in the US try Zimax as that (I think) has 720mg per bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.