• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy DXM Thread (archive start - 12-13-07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DXM is one of those substances were is either loved or absoulutely hated. I despise the drug and cant understand how its abused by many people. I love the class of drugs(dissocociatives) Ketamine is a favourite,while nitrous and PCP i've had alright experiences with. But DXM made me feel extremely uncomfortable like i was on the verge of collapse, messed up my breathing and made me feel unsafe about where and what was happening. Its one of the only substances out of a large lists of drug that i've taken once and refuse to take again. I believe i only took 300mg.

I have tried DXM twice, first time a low dose (~200mg), mixed with mushrooms and weed. Just felt the synergy, not what DXM was alike alone. SO I did ~700mg the second time. Did not have weed though, but I wanted to get a feel of the drug alone.

After 5 hours it was over? What happened? Very little.
For me DXM is a boring drug.. Although I've read many intense reports of it. I felt drunk and speedy.. Hardly hal;lucinated anything, maybe a few trails. Also, the cough syrup way is definately a rip off when something decent like LSD or weed is cheaper.

I was intrigued by but ambigious toward DXM after my first trial with it (3 mg/kg DXM, .4 mg/kg CPM), and after my second try (12 mg/kg) was sure that I hated it. Several months later I had another experience (4 mg/kg) that inspired the love affaird I retain to this day. I advise a little time working with the ally. It can be fickle. Among other things, make sure you're getting adequate nutrition and hydration. In my experience, this has made *quite* a difference. I find an ideal set of vitamins/minerals/supplements to take before DXM to be: a mutlivtiamin/multimineral, one megadose of vitamin B complex, 200 mg vitamin C, 400-800 I.U. of vitamin E, 100-200 mg CoQ10, and 300-400 mg DMAE.
--
Below is an analysis of my dissociative experiences:
--
Dissociatives are among my favorite 'psychedelic' compounds. I have had quite a bit of experience with them in the forms of DXM, K, and nitrous oxide. (if one decides not to classify alcohol as a dissociative) Of these three, I would have to say that DXM is my 'favorite,' with K running a close second. (I am aware that this preference makes me a distinct minority) I find DXM to be quite a bit 'warmer' and less 'empty' than K (especially at the lower doses; with DXM, lower doses are still quite noticeably psychedelic, while with K lower doses have, for me, tended to result in a very uninteresting drunken feeling with some occasional visuals - I would rather eat any amount of DXM than insufflate any amount of ketamine), with the advantage that I don't have to shoot DXM for what I consider to be its most interesting effects. I find that DXM affects my sense of self more strongly than K, and promotes more fluid associations and more interesting thought content at doses below fully dissociative levels. DXM also lasts substantially longer, which many would consider a downside, but which, in *some* contexts, I find quite definitely preferable. The following are some of the qualities of my DXM experiences which make the drug desirable (for me):
--
*sense of unusual clarity of thought
*sense of unusual honesty, both with self and with others
*sense of profound disconnection between my mind and my body
*macroscopia/microscopia ('Alice-in-Wonderland' effects of objects,
including oneself, growing and shrinking)
*lucid recall of long-forgotten memories
*loose (I prefer 'promiscuous') associations between thoughts,
which can make for mighty interesting written material (some
of it crap, but a lot of it not - just as with 'sober' thought)
*brilliant kaleidoscopic patterning both with eyes open and
eyes closed
*altered perceptual field (objects seem to 'glow' from within
themselves/Huxleian 'isness,' etc.,)
*profound euphoria
*'religious' experiences (contact with god/s, near-death
experiences, etc.,)
*feeling of complete distance between myself and the world
*paradoxical sense of complete immersion in the world and
its activities ('we're all flowers on the tree of life')
*intuitive understanding of difficult concepts from physics
and mathematics
--
I find DXM far more empowering and practically useful than many far more "chic" psychedelic compounds (such as AMT, 2C-T-7, MDA, MDMA, psiloc(yb)in, and others. Your mileage may vary.
---
Namaste,
Cliff

DXM is a beatiful drug

Just don't abuse it.
Like 1000 milligrams is too much DXM. DXM is active at 45 mg and will stay in your system working its magic. Don't drink too much cough syrup, you will puke and feel awful.
Please be careful, and MARK your ingredients, PSUEDOEPHEDRINE is NOT DXM.

A small dose of diphenydramine before DXM will not only potentiate the DXM, it will also alleviate the itching and skin prickling sensations that some of you reported. That's an effect of the histamine release that DXM causes.

Let's say you enjoyed the mental aspects of 400mg, but got a bit of a body load.

Try it this way--take 50mg of diphenhydramine, then take 300mg of DXM. You will get the good without the bad that way.

I do not recommend going over 50mg diphenydramine, though. Too much will create a dysphoria that you will not welcome, believe me.

I tripped way too hard off 900 once--it scared me off the drug for a while, but I use DXM from time to time. It seems to happen when I quit MDMA and shrooms for a few months. A little blast of DXM can really be satisfying if dosed properly and approached with knowledge.

As far as a starting dose--you should start out with 100mg to assess whether or not you are enzyme deficient. If you are, the effects are hugely pronounced and long acting. A 400mg dose in such a person will likely result in a nightmarish experience that lasts upwards of 24 hours.

As a final little aside, I find the addition of a LOW dose of oxy or hydrocodone to really enhance the experience in a positive way, but be careful. That is a dangerous combo and you must know your reactions to both drugs with great precision. Properly executed, however, it is quite a nice experience.

As for morningloryseed's curiosity about the K comparison--well, K is better, period. You get where you want to go faster and cleaner, and you're back soon enough to go out for the rest of the night.

K is unbeatable as a disassociative.

However, if you like K, you can find some really beneficial aspects of DXM. It's a lot like GHB in that you just have to find your particular sweet spot before you 'get it'. Be patient, open minded...DXM is not as bad as a lot of folks make it out to be, and once in a while it is truly exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:
My DXM experience last night was my first, and probably my most powerful drug experience. I frequently felt completely overwhelmed by its sheer power over me, yet when i was calm and stationary i felt completely sober and lucid (though inside the vaginal tenticle of the space octopus goddess). Even blacking out on shrooms and waking up reborn didn't feel quite as intense probably because i lost my internal monologue. It was such a joke to me that i could swallow cough syrup (4oz = 360mg) alone and that it would affect me in this way.

My thoughts are that it's certainly not a drug for recreational use (especially at the upper plateaus), and much respect and caution should be used if planning a first trip. Find a comfortable, calm, dark, quiet place (i loved adding atmospheric ambient music) and just let it take you away.

I have little or no hangover, and a slight, pleasant afterglow today. Big thumbs up. Not planning to do it again in the near future, but want to reach final plateau next time. AWESOME

Holy shit. I cant believe some of you mess with quantities of up to 1,000 mg. Thats just ... way too much in my opinion, even for experienced DXM users. I mean is it even fun with those extreme amounts?

I found my perfect dose for DXM is 400-450 mg, and even then, I think its an overall mediocre drug. It has been fun, and it has shown me some new ways to think about things, different perspectives (although very minor), and some laughable good times. But I just dont think it holds a candle to other substances that are readily available. That's just me though - I know - some people have had great experiences with it :)

Psilo

I love DXM, but I hate having to dose about 600mg to get anywhere that i can call a strong trip, and even at this level, it`s what most people would describe as 2nd plateau, blowmonkey has the same problem, it`s not tolerance, it`s not bodyweight, i don`t know what the hell it is, all I know is that i can take 750 mg and not have an overly intense experience, it doesn`t get extremely crazy untill I hit the nitrous, but I still love it. And being confused rocks because you get to discover everything anew, which is a great feeling.

yeah kinda weird... last time i had about, what, 600/650 or so?? i was sooo overstimulated, kept shaking, but never touched (well at one point felt like it) the 3rd plateau. it was eeuhm well it was nothing actually, being high in the head does not make a trip for me... i'd rather swallow some xtc pills to have that kinda high plus, you get euphoric like hell, this only makes me somewhat giggly and confused. i really really really want to experience something like the 3rd plateu, haha maybe even the 4th (not likely, nor will i try to reach sigma only i always talk about it when on dex hehe, i'm just curious what it would be like =D ). i did enjoyed all my dex adventures but still am a bit dissapointed by it uptill now. however, mixing some dextromorphan with another psychadelic makes it a lot more worthwhile at least imo.

DXM DONE RIGHT...

My friends and I have conducted an extremely wide range of experiments (several hundred - at least - over the past two years, among a group of approximately fifty individuals) with dextromethorphan hydrobromide powder, and have found several details which seem to be ever-present with this chemical:

1) THIS IS **NOT** A SUBSTANCE FOR THE IMPATIENT! It typically takes several complete, individual experiments with DXM before a person will find their "perfect dose." Due to the wide-ranging effects with the four plateaus, and extreme variance in tolerance due to body chemistry and weight, it's very difficult (even with DXM dosage calculators that are available) to figure out the exact appropriate dose for any one person. Thus, being patient, giving it a fair shake, is essential. Anyone who just tries it once, or only a couple of times, will almost invariably shrug their shoulders and say "I'm unimpressed." Conversely, anyone who sticks around, plays with the dosage and thus is able to narrow down their "perfect dose" will almost INVARIABLY say that DXM is among their alltime favorite substances. As with any other chemical out there, start low, and work your way up. Once you've found a dose you're happy with, try a couple more doses at even higher ranges, just to try it out. That's generally the best way to go.

2) The itching sensation seems to indicate that DXM is about to cross plateaus, especially when going from baseline to a plateau one experience. Taking higher doses (again, not recommended until you're familiar with the substance) will often bypass the itching sensation, but just as likely will still encounter this unpleasant sensation. More experienced DXM trippers have found numerous ways of either ignoring or bypassing the itching sensation, rendering it virtually an irrelevant detail. Taking a cool, then warm shower will help. Taking Benedryl often helps. Doing anything to take your mind off the itching - watching a movie, listening to some music, or having a deep conversation - will often work wonders. As with most trips, your mind is easily able to turn off this sensation with a little concentration. Ignoring the itching altogether will usually make it disappear rather quickly.

3) Dosing with cough syrup containing DXM is vastly different, and considerably less enjoyable, than experimenting with pure DXM powder. This is probably due to the other chemicals and ingredients which have been added to the cough syrup, while the powder contains pure dextomethorphan. Personally, I've never tried the cough syrup route, as I'm not willing to trust such a large dose to the larger pharmaceutical companies. You never REALLY know what other ingredients they've added... It's much safer, in my opinion, to stick with pure powder from a reliable source.

4) There seems to be nausea present in roughly 20% of the people trying this substance out. This may very well be due to the gelcaps that we use, and not the substance itself. Tripping with cough syrup or pills/tablets is almost a guaranteed means of bringing on nausea. Further testing will bear this out. Regardless, as with the itching in #2, this nausea can very easily be combatted. Dosing on an empty stomach helps. Doing any of the exercises listed in #2 to combat the itches can also be used to eliminate your nausea. Concentrating on the nausea will do nothing but make you feel miserable. Some people swear on using Dramamine (motion sickness pill) to help eliminate the nausea.

As for my personal experiences on DXM... I feel it's by far the best substance I've ever come across. I've had some of the greatest experiences of my life on this one, and have found it to be excellent for inducing a light trance state for aided concentration, or for heavier trip states to check into the perceived progress of my life, and where things are heading. I've experienced absolutely no negatives (from my perspective), and feel the range of feelings possible to elicit from a DXM trip make it one of the more rewarding chemicals out there. Aftereffects are universally pleasant, never any bad come downs or other unwanted mental effects. (I've found that most people who experience negative side effects from DXM either A) haven't bothered finding their proper dose through repeat experimentation, or B) are chugging the cough syrup. Just my two cents...)

lateron

Anti-Nausea Remedy for DXM powder

If you've had problems with nausea when taking DXM powder via gelcaps, try this technique which has worked wonders for many of my friends: get a nice big spoon, like a tablespoon or even larger, and scoop a small bit of ice cream into it. With your thumb, create a depression in the ice cream and pour your dose of DXM into the depression. Then, with a second spoon, scoop some more ice cream onto the top of the DXM so it's like an ice cream "capsule" for your DXM. Spoon the whole thing into your mouth and swallow it as quickly as possible, without chewing or letting it melt. That seems to alleviate about 90% of the nausea that anyone I know has experienced with taking DXM.

Also, it's not too surprising that 450mg would cause nausea the first time around. I generally start friends at 200mg and work up from there, though any hardheads or anyone with a general tolerance to drugs/pharmaceuticals I'll often boost up to a starting dose of 300mg. Like I said in my message two posts back, I feel that the dosage calculators available for DXM aren't really all there.

I've found plenty of overweight people who got off with a 2nd plateau DXM trip with only 250mg, and have also found several very skinny/underweight people who won't even reach the 2nd plateau short of 600mg. It varies, hence my recommendation NOT to leave DXM to just one or two doses. Experiment with it a bit, it's inexpensive enough that a little dosage experimentation (to find your "perfect dose") is WELL rewarded, with this substance more than ANY other I've found to date.

lateron

I've done high dose DXM twice, each time I had consumed 600mg of the drug.
The easiest way I can describe it is that I found it more profound than ketamine, in that it provoked thought about my place in the universe and made me think about my existence while allowing me to travel where I chose in my mind.
Ketamine I find less profound yet more intense, on ketamine I feel like I control the world around me, but I just end up having fun ie. wiggling my arms about as the room I'm in travels to a non-existant party along train tracks.
When I have IV'd a high dose of ketamine, the hole was so engulfing that I experienced total ego loss and was thrust whereever I was taken, no control and no ability to think until I emerged with memories of places it had taken me.
That was the only profound ketamine experience I've had, it took me months of analysis to gain from it though.

I like DXM because it has for me a more serious edge than ketamine, and gives me so much control over my thoughts, and the ability to let them manifest in my experience.
I learned a lot from those two 600mg experiences, and it was easy on me mentally, unlike the high dose IV of ketamine.
The body load is very unpleasant though, a nauseating come up and a day of DXM hangover is why I have only done the drug properly twice.
I will do it again sometime though.

I used to love DXM, but I haven't done it in like 2 years. I've done doses from 354mg to near 2000mg, and everywhere inbetween. Someone in here said acid/shrooms is like sensory overload and DXM is sensory underload. This is true. It's like nothing matters when you're on DXM. My face was always expressionless while I was tripping, and everyone else who I've ever seen on it as well.

DXM's after effects on the brain are HORRIBLE for me. It wasn't worth it. I probably used about 25g in total, and it fucked up my brain hardcore. It gets better with time, but VERY SLOWLY. I'm fine now but during that time I was doing it alot, my friends feared for me, cuz I was TOTALLY fried off my ass.

be safe with it, it's no joke on your brain. I do love it tho. :)

How do you manage to get so much DXM through the cough syrup? I can manage to drink one bottle of Robotussin, about 500 mg-then I start to feel nauseated. I could never drink two bottles, although I'd like to get more of a high. Do you take the capsules or what, please explain, thanks.

^^ some people can withstand drinking cough syrup. some people buy powder off the internet. some buy dxm containing pills and swallow a whole bunch of them. what you can do if you can't find any of these other products, is make a shake out of your syrup. only thing you need is a blender, milk, vanilla ice and something else you'd like to throw in there. this makes for a not so nasty alternative for drinking cough syrup, be creative, think of some more recipes or look them up.:)

For everyone's information, Robitussin has a new product called Robitussin Cough Gels, each containing 15mg of DXM, with no other active ingrediants. People who don't have access to powder but want to try a higher dose trip would probably consider these a godsend, since Coriciden is some bad shit.

I have taken CCC but only as a booster for a trip (4 pills), and one other time I took 8 of them to trip, but I would never use it for a high dose.

In addition to Robo Gels, there's lots of other stuff, Sucrets, etc... just check out your local pharmacy.

Anyone trip DXM while at a dance club? How'd it feel? And adverse effects?

I'm going clubbing this weekend, and I'm curious as to how well DXM would work for this.

Thanks!

I've gone to a rave on low doses of DXM. It was heaps of fun. Similar euphoric effects of a pill. Great music appreciation. Some visuals. Had a really fun night.

I don't think i would do it on a higher does though i would just get too disorientated and lost in my own world. :)

DXM + 5-HTP

A search did not turn up anything on results from combining DXM with 5-HTP.

I have used 5-HTP fairly regularly for a few months. I've never noticed anything from it that couldn't be ruled out as a placebo effect, but on more than one occasion it has *seemed* to improve a trip or help with my reintegration the following day.

The other day I took 50mg of 5-HTP at the same time as I dosed 250mg of DXM. Often DXM is slightly dysphoric for me, but this time it was a very warm, euphoric trip, almost like a roll, which I would never have compared to DXM before.

Furthermore, my afterglow the next day, which usually ranges from neutral to annoyingly brain-dead, was VERY pleasant, like a low dose of methylone. Just awesome.

Wondering if anyone else has combined these two. I read something in an old thread about DXM + 5-HTP possibly being a bad idea, but at least at these doses, it felt great.

A combination of 5-HTP + DXM isn't smart.

Using Tryptophan to either try and boost your DXM expierence or help with the after effects ("afterglow" or "hangover" depending on your perception of the feeling) is not a smart idea. After using any strong serotonin-affecting drugs, such as DXM, it wouldn't be a good idea to take a dose of 5-HTP for one or two days before/after the expierence. People using serotonin-affecting drugs have been known to have seizures in conjunction with 5-HTP.

If you have any questions, send me a PM, as I don't check this thread often.

-Nitin

Status
Not open for further replies.