• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

2 Fla. CVS stores stopped from selling some drugs

Bluelight Crew
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration has suspended two Orlando-area-based CVS pharmacies from selling controlled substances such as oxycodone, agency officials said Monday.

It is the first time stores in a national pharmacy chain are the targets of suspension orders used to combat Florida's prescription drug abuse problem, said Mark Trouville, Special Agent in Charge of the DEA's Miami field office.

The DEA also issued a suspension order against a Lakeland-based wholesale drug distributor. But its owner, Cardinal Health, late last week successfully persuaded a judge to halt the DEA's suspension efforts until a hearing is held next week in Washington.

The DEA claims that the two Sanford, Fla.-based pharmacies dispensed such controlled drugs as oxycodone far in excess of legitimate needs. The average pharmacy orders 69,000 oxycodone dosage units a year but the two pharmacies together were ordering 2 million dosage units, DEA officials said.

"These pharmacies knew or should have known that a large number of these prescriptions were not issued for legitimate medical purposes," Trouville said at a news conference in suburban Orlando.

The pharmacies will still be able to sell drugs that aren't controlled substances while the orders are enforced.

A CVS spokesman said the company is unwavering in its compliance with federal and state laws, and it was cooperating with the DEA.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/06/2628168/2-fla-cvs-stores-stopped-from.html#storylink=cpy

I'm not sure I see the point of this, unless there's some evidence that the pharmacies are in collusion with nearby doctors to make profit. It's not like pharmacists write the prescriptions or choose who comes in the door to fill them.

I think CVS should sue the DEA. They're just doing their job, filling the scripts....

Fucking stupid DEA.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I wondered if it was oxy related. I went to Florida for a month in Summer 09 and 10. I had NO trouble finding oxy, in particular Roxy, while I was there. I had a much easier time getting opiates in Florida than in California.

The pharmacies in Florida would not have been able to miss the glaring enormity of opiates they were moving. I think somebody somewhere looked the other way for a very long time, since this is a fresh news story.

^Even if they were aware that a lot of the substances were not for legitimate pain, their hands were bound by the fact that doctors prescribe and pharmacists dispense medications.

Last edited:
The doctors who have written the most prescriptions will be brought to trial, I'm sure. It isn't the doctor's fault either, from what I have seen. Any person working in a doctor's office with access to the doctor's prescription tablet (and often a pressing need for cash) will be tempted to make some money with that prescription tablet.

The doctors will be held responsible for their thieving office workers, I'm afraid.

My doctor has gone to an all electronic system. He prescribes my stuff from his computer directly to the pharmacy I use, and by the time I drive from his office to the pharmacy, it's ready. I suspect a lot of doctors' offices will be going paperless.

I don't know if that will cut down on people getting forged prescriptions filled. Computers can be hacked, always.

On the other hand, no one I know that has bought a forged prescription OR forged a prescription can hack into anything.

I think CVS should sue the DEA. They're just doing their job, filling the scripts....

Fucking stupid DEA.

The DEA has been stepping over the line for years but this cuts the cake.......they should sue the DEA. Damn this organization should be destroyed but it seems like they are getting stronger by the minute, thanks to the US government that is bought & sold by the corrupt bankers & corporations of this fine nation.

^I am in agreement with you, TLB.

Some officials in government offices, some CEOs of very wealthy corporations use recreational substances. Many movie and television personalities use recreational substances. Leave behind the sensationalism of news flashes about who died last and who is going to die next.

Consider the rest of us, a whole LOT of us, in fact, that may fall into one these categories. Many of us belong to more than one group, also. We are the people in your grocery store, in your hair salon, in your mall, on your freeways, in your libraries, in your schools, too. In the list below there are individuals from each category feeling euphoric right now

• Rich people
  • Broke people
  • Well educated people
  • Country folks
  • Lawyers
  • Truck drivers
  • Asian people
  • Black people
  • Latino people
  • White People
  • high school kids
  • senior citizens

Drug Enforcement has put this up as their mission.

Those who use substances for the purpose of experiencing different perspectives by taking a chemical are not criminals.

The people who enjoy the substances might ought to come together, admit that they enjoy euphoria on occasion and create their own mission.

Using certain substances for the purpose of experiencing life differently by being exposed to a different consciousness level should be the right of free citizens in America. . People like euphoria. They always will, no matter how many agencies FORBID citizens to find euphoria.

good for the DEA...if you are dispensing 1 million doses of oxycodone you know damn well you are doing something that is straddling the line of the law. if the owners/operators of those CVS pharmacies didnt see that something was going on they need to be fired for being so naive.

@ ugly what do you mean thieving office workers? there are pain clinics in FL that are writing ridiculous amounts of narcotics to people WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL HISTORY OF CHRONIC PAIN....the doctors SHOULD be held responsible and should be brought to the courts im not sure why you would say "theiving office members" are responsible as no one is stealing prescription pads and forging them. doctors who are in pursuit of a quick dollar and writing scripts to hundreds, if not thousands of people who often dont have medical records at all are responsible.

edit: and yes i understand that their job is simply to dispense the medications scripted by a doctor and im sure the DEA has thought the same thing, however, in this case i am sure the DEA has more than enough evidence for criminal negligence...i am willing to bet that they have dozens of overdose deaths that had filled their medication at those CVS...hence the criminal negligence and if they really wanted to they could push for criminal negligence in connection with a homicide...it may sound fucked up but this is the world we live in and unfortunately we have to play by the governement's rules

good for the DEA...if you are dispensing 1 million doses of oxycodone you know damn well you are doing something that is straddling the line of the law. if the owners/operators of those CVS pharmacies didnt see that something was going on they need to be fired for being so naive.

@ ugly what do you mean thieving office workers? there are pain clinics in FL that are writing ridiculous amounts of narcotics to people WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL HISTORY OF CHRONIC PAIN....the doctors SHOULD be held responsible and should be brought to the courts im not sure why you would say "theiving office members" are responsible as no one is stealing prescription pads and forging them. doctors who are in pursuit of a quick dollar and writing scripts to hundreds, if not thousands of people who often dont have medical records at all are responsible.

edit: and yes i understand that their job is simply to dispense the medications scripted by a doctor and im sure the DEA has thought the same thing, however, in this case i am sure the DEA has more than enough evidence for criminal negligence...i am willing to bet that they have dozens of overdose deaths that had filled their medication at those CVS...hence the criminal negligence and if they really wanted to they could push for criminal negligence in connection with a homicide...it may sound fucked up but this is the world we live in and unfortunately we have to play by the governement's rules

Dude, how about going after the beer distributors for selling people too many cases of beer or bars selling too much alcohol & then people DUI & kill themselves or other innocent bystanders. There are other arguments like the one ive mentioned that could be brought to the table. You saying that CVS could be held accountable for a homicide is like saying McDonalds should be held accountable for giving you high cholesterol for eating their foods.........thats the way I see it & you wont change my mind!

Your argument for the DEA is outrageous! Bottom line is the pharmacies are filling scripts that had legal documentation by the customers doctor. Either way, I dont think the government should stick their stupid nose in this issue.

Last edited:
@ ugly what do you mean thieving office workers?

I mean the men and the women who work in different types of offices and steal anything and everything. If you don't believe they exist then you have been fortunate not to meet them
or you have met them already but you were too distracted to notice.

im not sure why you would say "theiving office members" are responsible as no one is stealing prescription pads and forging them.

Memphis, how do you know that no one is stealing prescription pads and forging them?
Are you SURE that NO ONE ever stole a prescription pad?
How do you know this? What makes you so convinced that no one is stealing prescription pads and forging them???

I would have to be straight up ignorant to post specifics about stolen prescription pads but I know that in 2007 or 2008 .. a few years ago.... I was able to purchase as many genuine pads as I could afford, if I decided to take that chance.

I had prescription pads at my disposal for a certain amount of money and these pads, which I was able to hold and inspect, were both mesmerizing and frightening. The scripts forged on those stolen script pads were filled at pharmacies. This is plain fact, not something I heard, read about, or saw on television. No one in my group of friends/partners at that time ever went without oxy, roxy, xannies, percocets, I can't remember now exactly what was procured nor when. It seemed to just come down out of the sky into our waiting hands... this only went on for a short time, but some people made serious b a n k off of script pads. I didn't receive any money, but there were copious drugs and amazing parties, and I didn't go without recreational substances during that entire time.

unfortunately we have to play by the government's rules

Is that what you think, Memphis? We just obey the government? WTF you cannot be for real. The government does not have your best interests at heart and if you are less than a millionaire, the government does not give a fiddlers fart about you. Or me.

Play by governments rules if that's what makes you happy but know this please, it is not a game. It is life or death. Our government is violent, short sighted, short tempered and money grubbing and so utterly dishonest I am embarrassed at being treated like I'm too stupid to know a lie when I hear it. Especially when I hear it over and over. Our government has rules for you and rules for me. Government has placed itself above the rules they made....unless a president gets his dick sucked, then we all lose our minds.

Here is the problem in a nutshell.
Government hates minorities, I don't care who is in the White House. The bent-over doddering old dustballs roaming around the halls of the senate and the house use the N word when Obama is not within hearing distance. The generation of my parents, little old couples in their 80s and younger also, are by and large so utterly racist, they don't even see a problem. Racism is their natural order of being in their minds. They believe they really ARE BETTER because they are White.

My parents have NEVER had a Black person over to their house. They use the N word like it's NOTHING. That generation there are individual exceptions obviously but that generation is so deeply, deeply racist, it's horrifying. Older White folks are sickening in the way they talk, sickening in the way they look at diversity as from the devil, sickening in nonchalant hatred of non Whites.

There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest, probably prove, that marijuana was made illegal because it gave the Law an extra reason to abuse the Black and the Hispanic populations. Some evidence does show that Blacks and Latinos used weed frequently, and Whites did not use weed, (this goes way back to early 1900s from my research, but I will not play by government rules that are based on hatred and racism. That not a game... that is full blown racism, as ugly, brutal, unfair and flat out ridiculous as racism can be.

Governments' duties in the Declaration of Independence are to secure OUR ability as Americans to get out there and find life, construct liberty, and pursue happiness. We should not be under horribly dysfunctional leaders who make stupid decisions, because whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government (That's in the Declaration also) But there are SO many Memphis type thinkers out there... we don't know what we could do, and if we know, we are afraid to do what the Declaration bids us because our leaders did not protect MLK, Jr. Whenever anybody really moves on that particular line of our Declaration, Government goes as crazy as if somebody got a blow job and they get violent. Government sends armed people out to a college to shoot students who are in school. (Kent State, 1970) Government had been torturing Blacks in the South and we saw it on television every day so it got to be too much. People decided to do what the Decl. of Indp. says, but look at this: If we get together and tell the government we are sick of them, and we want everybody to go home and we are going to do Democracy again, and improve it for everybody, Government will kill us. That's how they roll. So if we don't have the Decl. of Indp anymore as a "truth" on which we can build a better democracy, what do we have?

I believe strongly that until we get rid of the two party system and the old racists wandering in government buildings nationwide, we will not have life, or liberty, or the pursuit of happiness.

"Unfortunately we have to play by the government's rules."

I respect your opinion on that. I don't agree.

I'm damn glad that in Canada the only reasons a pharmacist won't fill a script is if they think it's a forgery or if it's wrote wrong. Other then that unless it's completely insane they have to fill it.