• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television ESPN's "Unguarded" Documentary about Chris Herren's Addiction

Merkinsey

Bluelighter
Anyone one seen ESPN's "Unguarded" Documentary about NBA Celtic's Chris Herren's Addiction?

I was flipping through channels and I stopped at ESPN Classic coz I had to take a pee break... when I came back, for some reason, I started to watch it.

Initially I was skeptical because I know how these stories go, I thought, and in fact it does. I was never, arguably, seriously addicted to any drugs (perhaps in early years after I started doing coke... it got pretty bad because I liked it way more than I expected and everyone was doing it... even at work in the conference rooms and offices). Nevertheless I got sucked into watching this show. I didn't know why but I even weeped a little near the end... perhaps because I know how it could've been for me too if I've let my coke addiction go out of hand. I could easily have.

Luckily, I had this agenda, in the back of my head, of returning to school to be an artist because I got very jaded about the business world in general. Coke definitely didn't fit with academic art world, at least the way I saw it and experienced it. I had to be on my toes with all my wits and give all my effort to make something out of the experience; I didn't really have any time to waste to be in euphoria and burned out. Anyhow that's what really prevented me from taking that addiction to the next level.

When I returned from being art student wearing black clothes etc, yes, I eventually start doing coke again... but it was more like 'if I have some, that's good but if I don't, that's also good too." thing. Occasionally I do too much and too often but I'd say it never really gets outta hand.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I was surprisingly moved watching that documentary.

Last edited:
I haven't seen this documentary, but I'm familiar with Chris Herren the player and his addiction

I think this doc is a part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, no? if so, it seems like ESPN did a lot of research and has produced some great docs in this series

I will be trying to watch this, soon!

I saw it I thought it was a really well done doc and I can really relate to it as I know a couple of people who would have been great athletes but they never quite got their shit straight. Best part of the whole thing is when theyre talking about how he was partying all night like doing lines of blow at 3am and whatnot and he had a game the next morning. And they just show one of the interviewees and hes like "and... he played great". My brother was watchin it too and just goes "yeah, thats when you know you can ball" and I just started cracking up