• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Snorting Roxies - Lung Issues?

jaystyle

Bluelighter
I sniff 15-23 roxie 30s a day... sometimes when I do it wrong, I cough and/or see particles of dust in my exhale.... Roxies break up into such a fine dust, it's hard not to breath it. A long time ago, when I first started, this caused my lungs to feel kinda inflamed and I was not breathing well but it went away.

NOw I am scared, thinking it is building up and might cause lung cancer or something one day.... or the silicates in it might cause a problem. It has no talc in it like the OC80s, but I feel like those 80s were so much safer because the particles you sniffed were rather large compared to the super fine powder of the roxie 30. I know I'm hurting myself; but how much? So many people do it, but not to my extent..... Once you get a super tolerance, it seems like eating them no longer works or something.... im so addicted to sniffing.... I snort xanax, ambien---- when I was doing subutex, I was sniffing that. Cocaine.... It becomes a fixation, but I fear it's damaging effects.

Has anyone had or known people to have had any issues from snorting alone? (not injection... we all know that is the devil). When I stop, do the lungs have a tendency to "cleanse themself"?? I know livers regenerate, I wonder how my lungs can heal.... at the moment, I feel relatively alright.... Any input on this I'd be interested in hearing.

PS. Read that breathing dust and all sorts of other things could not be linked to lung cancer, but mostly just irritations and things. I suppose this stuff is just kinda a sort of "dust", as far as your body is concerned? Ppl work in dust environments breathing it all day too and dont seem to be dying.... couldn't find any cases of people getting lung disorders from snorting pills but i realize most ppl were snorting the OC80s and the Roxie 30 epidemic is getting a lot bigger now since ocs are gone.... so maybe in 10 years we'll hear all the horror stories.

Cant find my source now but one of the lung issues you could get would be like Silicosis from the silicon. Ihave Chronic bronchitis from particulates of microcrystaline silica myself....... Im in fairly athletic aside from no lung capacity its made it very hard to keep up with people my age or even 10-15 years older and im only 28. As far as what pills I snort its mly roxy 30's , dilaudid 4's and oxymorphones these days and oxy 40s and up , with only a handful of oxy im release 10's and 15's but its been tens years time. when i find my source ill link you, Id show you my medical record with chronic bronchitis caused by particukates.

just my 2 cents and maybe something to think about Stay Safe

Eesh... scary.
How many years were you sniffing? How much per day? IF you stop, do doctors think you could heal?

Alright, I've read a few of your threads & I guess I'll respond to this one.
Snorting that many roxies a day is fucking ridiculous. If your not going to take them orally at least filter & make a nasal spray.
I made a thread on how to do so at one point & have posted in a few other threads as well on the process.
You can do so without micron filters & it will help some but I recommend microns.
As even with a cotton filtered nasal spray the particulates are still going to accumulate.
As such I would recommend getting micron filters & filtering up a nice supply of nasal spray.

By the way don't mean to come off as harsh I just understand the situation as I've been there.
It's a shitty situation but you seem smart enough to realize that sniffing that many pills is unsustainable.
I ended up making Oxycodone sprays, Oxymorphone sprays, etc. before eventually quitting,
getting back on & switching up to IV. Though I'm working on quitting atm but I digress.
Though I will mention that IV usage wasn't usually Oxycodone as IV'ing Oxycodone doesn't serve much purpose.
Not to mention with it's solubility I'd use up a 10 pack of insulin syringes trying to even notice it.

Once your habit starts getting to a certain point IMHO it's all down hill from there.
I'm advocating the nasal spray as you don't appear to wish to quit but I'd recommend tapering down personally.
Give it long enough & gettin high on 400mg of Oxycodone at once will seem like the glory days.
Hell at my peak 400mg wouldn't have even gotten me fully unsick & back to baseline.
Not a pleasant place to get to. Though once again I apologize as I digress from your issues to mine.
Though I'm using my experiences to help illustrate a point I guess.

Honestly though I must say I'm quite astounded by your ability to ingest that many particulates & still breathe.
Since tapering down & switching off the needle I would sometimes snort 1 or 2 30mg Roxi's a day.
I notice issues breathing & sinus problems just from that as such a small quantity didn't seem worth making into a spray.
As such it's amazing to me that someone could snort that much powder without major problems.

Regardless to answer part of your question AFAIK though it varies by particulate most of the one's you'd worry about
stick around permanently. Your lungs may heal some but most of the particulates will be there for the rest of your life.
Which brings me to a quick question are you a smoker? Of anything, cigarettes, pot etc?
As I'd be astounded if you also smoke & still manage to breathe sniffing that much.

Oh & yes I've known plenty of people who just snort with breathing & sinus problems from there usage.
I know you mentioned IV usage as "the devil" but it varies on the user actually.
Specifically & only in regards to lung effects my IV usage would probably be less damaging than your nasal usage.
The difference being that even though particulates accumulate in the lungs with IV usage just as nasal I micron filter.
As such even though I'd be IV'ing the substance having micron filtered it I'd have less particulates ending up in my lungs.
As such in terms of lung damage nasal usage can be just as damaging as IV if not more so.
Be sure to note though that I'm referring specifically to lung effects not other damages from IV use.
Now IV users that don't micron filter would have just as many lung issues as the nasal users sniffing pills.
Thus my recommendation for you to get micron filters & filter up a nasal spray if you continue your current usage.

I also noticed you mentioned not finding things linking sniffing pills to lung problems.
Just take a look at the case studies mega thread.
IIRC most of the lung damage ones in there are IV related but the same principle applies.
As nasal usage also has the particulate accumulation problems that IV usage does.

Hope that helps answer your questions & I wish you the best of luck with your health.
As I saw in some of your other threads some of the issues you are having.
Just wanted to mention that I experienced a lot of the same health problems when dosing in the range
you dose at or higher. I was unable to find a way to prevent said issues.

Damn! That was a solid post, Industrial, and I think that you've just about covered it all. But I'd like to reiterate this one point: Why not just take the pills orally?

I like to crush up and sniff pills, especially roxies, as much as the next guy, but if I were dosing that many 30s in one day, I think that I would just begin to take them orally. It has a better oral bioavailability anyway, so why not?

INdustrial--- thank you for the thorough and thoughtful post. I do want to quit soon.... surprisingly, I have almost no lung issues (although I do have some sinus issues). I've had other weird problems, but not chronic lungs. There was a time when I went to the ER because I felt short of breath, dizzy, and faint. 10/08/10 (I remember... because it was my brothers Bday. I had to leave the party..... later told him I had allergic reaction to an acid reflux medicine) I had just switched from OC to roxies recently and when I first switched, I felt like I never had enough oxygen. Then, I took a trip to San Diego and decided to get on suboxone. My lungs were still irritated from the roxies a few days ago, and the suboxone switch made me feel anxious, dizzy, and weird. I wasn't sure what exactly was wrong with me, but I had lung xrays and they were normal. Oxigenation was normal too... I remember having a panic attack in the ER waiting forever for my lung x-ray--- I was sure I had lung cancer or talcosis. The doctor finally walked over to me with a somber face... then told me I was ok! lol -- My guess was that the magnesium stearate in roxies caused my lungs to inflame a little---I read that it can do that. I am probably resistant to that now. Sometimes when I wake up, I have trouble breathing, but after doing some roxies I feel better suddenly for the rest of the day. I find that odd was well?

But that was awhile ago... not sure how things are now, but I seem to be breathing fine--- even if I am jogging, sprinting, doing heavy exercise, etc. I have a method of sniffing that minimizes what I inhale--- I have a bright light that I exhale into and if I inhaled particles, I see them. I wet my nose thoroughly with nasal spray and do a special kinda snort that vibrates my nostrils so it is not deeply inhaled. Nonetheless, you are absolutely right and I know I am doing damage and care about my life too much to continue this much further. Im just really addicted to the sniffing part of things... it's hard to break. When I first started, I had no problem taking them orally, because a little bit would hit me hard and last a long time, and I had no withdrawals so I could patiently wait. Now a days, I want to feel it asap.

So-- I'm going to look into this nasal spray thing. I always feel like investing in new technologies and stuff is prolonging my use---- like, "buying micron filters is setiing myself up to be using for at LEAST as long as they arrive and are used". I realize it's a stupid way to look at things.

So--- since i don't have micron filters at the moment, and a "cotton filtered" solution will be 1000x better than what I am doing, I think I will start like that. Even though cotton leaves particles, I feel like it will be sufficient for a nasal spray. I say this, because #1 you don't need to inhale with nasal spray, you can just squirt for the most part #2 The fact that it is all liquid makes it much less likely to make it past your lungs natural defense barriers.... mixed with water, the particles will be much less dangerous. However, most users question is---- how much potency/waste occurs this way? Is it still efficient/effective means of use?

PS. Verso - With sniffing, it bombards your brain with opiates so I have a better chance of feeling a "rush", despite my high tolerance. Oral comes on slower, so it's harder to feel. I think of it like this totally random analogy (maybe Im totally wrong)----- Your brain is an alligator that eats fish. Fish are opiates, and when it eats them, you are less high. When the fish are piled in front of him, the more fish there are there, the higher you feel. Alligator eats one fish every 10 seconds, based on my tolerance. Higher tolerance = faster fish eating by the alligator. So--- sniffing is like throwing 10 fish in the pile all at once--- it starts eating them but there's a good size pile there for a bit. Oral is like slowly laying out 15 fish-- once every 4 seconds. Although with oral, you are putting more total fish in your pile, when you just throw 10 fish in the pile you will have a bigger pile of fish for sometime, and they will all be there sooner. Lol ok kinda ridiculous but that's the best way I can put it

I remember the same pphenonmena. It can't be good for you. If the sun was shining in my car the right way and I sniffed using the pill crusher, when I would exhale I would actually see particles like if you were to exhale from smokin a cig (not nearly as much obviously). This happens more when I am in a rush was would just throw 3x 30mg oxy IR in the pill crusher twist to crush, mash it up a lil more with the cap of a marker, then I would just toot it lik ein 1 lil toot I would get all 3 roxies sniffed.

It;s a pretty big pile of powder so I def was loosing some to not being absorbed

*sigh* I miss the OC80s... the powder was thick enough to rarely ever penetrate into your lungs like roxies do. Also, roxies are so easy to crush my use soared once i started using these. Before, i'd be shaving at an OC80 like a cheese grater, now I am crushing these things 1-3 at a time

Industrial: I tried to find your thread on making nasal sprays but can't. Could you link me perhaps? Otherwise, maybe you can help me answer a few questions. Let me know if my plan sounds good:

I decided to try the nasal spray for the sake of my long-term health. I frequently use afrin with a spray pump-- "pump mist" it's called. I am thinking of washing out that bottle and using that mechanism for my nasal spray. I think 10-15mg per mist would be ideal... 3-4 sprays in the morning, and for maintnance throughout the day a few sprays here and there. My plan is to measure how much is in one good spray by spraying in a spoon and measuring it in a syringe. Then, I will calculate how many roxies I'd need for 7ml of liquid to have 10mg per spray. Maybe 7ml is too much even-- 5ml perhaps (it's a 15mg afrin bottle but I dont need the whole thing full of liquid... it takes forever to go through all of it). I'd put 60% of calculated liquid requirement in a large spoon with finely crushed roxies, let it sit for 20-30min, stirring occasionally. Finally, I'd filter with cotton and put it in the clean afrin bottle. Then, I'd addthe remaining 40% of liquid for a second rinse and repeat that process. I'd probably eat the remains or save them for a bit or something I suppose... after two rinses, I imagine at least 85% or more has been extracted; ya?

Does this sound feasible?

Glad to hear my post was of use to you. I apologize but I'm going out & might not be able to post tonight.
I did a quick skim over what's been posted in the meantime. I'll read it thoroughly when I get back.

Regardless either tonight or more likely sometime tomorrow I will give you a thorough response.
I can link the thread then or re-post information regarding the nasal sprays & making them.
It seems like your already thinking about the math so be sure to keep in mind Oxycodone's solubility.
IIRC Oxycodone is soluble in water at approx. 100mg per 1ML & personal experience seems to back that number up.

Anyways I gotta roll out but I'll respond to you thoroughly as soon as I can.
I'm happy to see that you found my post to be helpful.

Why not just orally consume the roxies? The bioavailability for oxycodone is higher orally than insufflated. Sure 15 mins longer come up, but you're avoiding all the problems you mention, and also benefiting from a longer duration. I really don't see the point of snorting roxies unless as a small topper on base of oral oxycodone.

I just posted this in another thread.

Intranasal administration of pills can cause a lung condition called pneumoconiosis.

It is usually the Talc in pills that is accidentally inhaled into the lungs when snorting that causes this.

Industrial: I await your reply! Thanks for taking the time to help me, and everyone else.

Tripman: Roxies don't have TALC, but they do have microcrystaline cellulose and magnesium stearate. The former, which has been known to case similar problems to Talc, but from what I read, it is less aggressive in it's damage and it takes more of it, for a longer time, and causes less detriment than "Talcosis"...... Still bad, but not as bad as Talc. The ladder, the stearate, can cause inflamation but not chronic lung problems like crystaline or talc.

The thing with Talc, is the particles are quite large, so although occupationally there has been talcosis, intranasally there aren't a whole lot of case studies linking Talc insufflation with Talcosis. the vast majority are through IV use, because our lungs haev a natural barrier which blocks the large, damaging pieces.

I worry about the crystaline cellulose, however, because the particles are much smaller and I can visibly observe them in my exhalation. However, I don't seem to have any lung problems yet after rather chronic use ever since OC went to OP and I switched. I believe I am going to try this nasal spray idea, however, once I read what industrial has to say.

15-23? Have you considered administrating your oxycodone rectally, if you're not satisfied with the oral route? I know the rectal way is not as neat and practical as the intranasal route, but at least you wouldn't end up with that pneumo ... pneumoconiosis.

If you use ever day and are constipated does that method even work? Eat them..problem solved.

Once you get to a high tolerance, eating them doesn't feel good.... the rush & speed that it hits you nasally is very attractive when you are highly addicted. You get more in your system at once, compared to more over a longer period of time (but never as much at one time as nasally).

Sometimes I get 10s instead of 30s, and I dont sniff those... I eat them. I pop them like tic tacs and almost never notice them hitting me.... even if I eat ten.. Yet, I can sniff 2 30s and feel its warm fuzzy glow

Man, I wish there was some kind of legitimate study about whether or not snorting pills caused lung disease/damage and at what level. In the absence of significant evidence either way, my money says that snorting pills can cause lung disease/damage. I've scoured all the threads today and most of them are a bunch of pill-junkies, no offense, just sharing their opinoins (and there's a lot of wishful thinking).

My fingers have shown slight clubbing for the last year... it's basically a symptom of lung disease. I had it all checked out at an internist and cardiologist and everything checked out fine, but I didn't tell them my history of snorting pills. My chest Xray looked good, but I suspect that this damage can be taking place to some extent without showing up on an Xray. Maybe an MRI/CT Scan would show more? Anyway, I snorted old school OC40s/80s for about 4 years as much as I could get my hands on them. I would say about 30%-50% of the time over that time period I was snorting anywhere from 40 - 120mg per day. I was clean for a couple years and then I used roxicodone 30s one week a month (~10-15 pills/month) for a year.

As you can see, I had significant pill habit, but there are tons of people who do way more than I did. I think that between taking the pills and smoking herb multiple times daily I've damaged my lungs significantly. I haven't been impacted too much as far as symptoms go. I can still exercise. I just hope if I quit now I can prevent my lungs from getting any worse! It'd be nice if they healed up.. but as long as they don't get worse and worse I think I'll be OK. I've quit snorting pills, but I think the nature of some of this lung damage is that it continues to scar over the years and it's progressive.

It's just a damn shame that in our country this is a known issue. Pharm companies KNOW that people put this shit up their nose and in their veins. You can discourage abuse by putting talc, silicates, and other bullshit in the pills.. but they know a certain extent of the population will still do it no matter what. Apparently, they are OK with just letting these people ruin their lives when it could be entirely prevented.