• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone half-life, taking small <1 mg of bupe on decreasing meathdone

Cloudy

Bluelight Crew
I've done 330mg Methadone from sunday to wednesday, then 90mg on thursday. I took Ciprofloxacin on Tuesday (500mg), some on Wednesday (500mg), and some on Thursday (1000mg), to inhibit the metabolism. I then added with out thinking 250mg of butalbital on Thursday, and took 300mg of butalbital on Friday (would promote the metabolism that I was inhibiting). I have 100mg of hydrocodone (possibly a little more) and would to not wait till I start WDing to take it. I wouldn't mind 30mg of methadone left in me while I take 100mg of hydrocodone. Would it be a waste to take it today?

rough assumed conc based on half life
monday 120, tuesday 140, wednesday 150, thursday 172.5, Friday 82, Sat ~86.35 at 11pm/ This not taking in account the inhibition of induction of metabolism

also could I take like .125mg of buprenorphine on the methadone to see if it gives a little push of any kind? Not trying to go into WDs of course.

I'm guessing I'll take the hydrocodone tomorrow assuming it'll be around 43 mg and would like the methadone to help potentate it, take some doxylamine (100mg), <1mg of sub (just like in the question earlier) and potentially 300mg of butalbital. I can take a handful of tramadol as well. and throw in 1mg of clonzapam

Last edited:
In the first sentence are you talking about methadone? You didn't specify what drug you meant. Personally I wouldn't take bupe with methadone and I wouldn't bother taking methadone with the hydrocodone. It might not actually potentiate the high but just make it harder to get high, as there is a cross-tolerance. Unless you meant take the hydrocodone first and take the methadone after you are already feeling it? Methadone does slightly inhibit one of the enzymes that metabolizes hydrocodone, but I've never found it to make a noticeable difference and it may only make withdrawal symptoms set in slightly later as opposed to increasing your high. Both the bupe and the methadone have the potential to decrease your high, and I wouldn't risk taking the bupe, even such a small amount, while on the methadone in case it puts you into precipitated WDs. At the very least, if you were somehow lucky and didn't get PW's it would either do nothing or take away the effects of the methadone.

When you say "would it be a waste", do you mean to take the hydrocodone today? If so, do you mean would you still get high off it or would it still prevent WDs? Or did you mean to take more methadone today?

EDIT: I see you've now edited your post to make it clearer which drugs you are talking about and when. At those doses of methadone I would totally stay away from the bupe, it could easily put you into horrible precipitated withdrawals. As others have said (below) you could definitely still have more than 30mg of methadone left in your body. What are your goals? Are you wanting to get high or just prevent WDs? Is this a finite drug supply and you plan on not taking more opioids after these things run out? I would take the hydro first, gradually tapering it down, and then the bupe after a sufficient amount of time has passed from the hydro. But I don't know whether you're planning to do more hydro or methadone etc after these drugs run out. I wouldn't mix bupe with any other opioids. I would only take it if you were dopesick and it was all you had (and you have to wait quite a while before and after taking other opioids).

Last edited:
My experience has been that on therapeutic doses of Methadone (80-120mg+) no dose of Hydrocodone will have any effect for analgesia or getting you high.

Buprenorphine is a very potent opioid, and a very [very] potent partial-agonist. For moderate to severe pain, Temgesic tablets were put on the market. They contain 0.2mg Buprenorphine. Meaning, the dose you mention, 0.125mg Buprenorphine, will be more than enough to throw you into a very serious and dangerous acute precipitated withdrawal. On high doses of Methadone, I can't imagine anything worse than taking an antagonist or partial agonist that will displace it and go into PW (a number of anecdotal stories exist of people dying from banging their head on the floor while twitching/kicking, falling off beds, etc I imagine it's possible, but I can't verify any of it so will call it what it is, rumors). But the agony of PW from a high dose of Methadone would make you wish for death.

EDIT: I can't tell from your post if you are on MMT, or are using Methadone recreationally; but in either case, at those doses, I can't imagine you either aren't on MMT or don't have a moderate to high opioid daily habit; in either case, no, you will get PW.

When I jumped from 75mg/day of Methadone to Buprenorphine, I went 84 hours without Methadone before attempting to take Bupe, and that was at very small doses at first to make sure PW's wouldn't occur; and the last 2 days I took Methadone before going without it completely I took half a dose and the last day about 1/10th of my prescribed daily dose. Methadone takes a very long time to clear your receptors and body before you can safely take Bupe.

Yeah this is not a good idea at all. Buprenorphines binding affinity is much stronger than methadone and is active in microgram dosages. I think that it's peak opioid activity is equivalent in strength to about 30-40 mg of methadone. Being on a dosage of say 100mg doesn't mean that that is how much methadone is in you. The half lives stack up, so you have probably much more than 30mg still left in your system. Buprenorphine is just not a good drug to mix with methadone at all. Like tchort did you should wait at least two days without methadone in you to take bupe, though I would try and wait longer personally, and if you find yourself in withdrawal, try using a different opioid/opiate to keep you it of withdrawal, and then wait 24 hours after that to try and take the bupe.