Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushroom Season 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine Moments

Bluelight Crew
This thread is a continuation of Mushroom Season 2011.

The northern species are dung lovers and tend to be found during the wet summer months in northern NSW and many parts of Qld. They are commonly found growing from cow dung, but they can grow on several other animal feces. The best time to hunt for these species is during summer (wet season) a few days after decent rain.

Psilocybe cubensis
cubes1.jpg

cubes.jpg

Panaeolus cyanescens
cyans5.jpg

cyans3.jpg

In southern Australia, we get a cold climate, wood loving species that generally fruits from mid autumn and into early winter. Psilocybe subaeruginosa (subs) can be found growing on decaying plant matter (namely pine and eucalyptus) in both garden beds and forests throughout Vic, ACT, Tas, southern SA, southern WA and southern to mid NSW.

The season peaks from mid May through July, but they have been found as late as September (sometimes even later) with the right weather conditions.

The further west you are located, the later the season starts. If you are in WA, I would not bother to hunt before late May and it is common to not see subs before early-mid June.

Last years high rainfall (double the average in some places) saw a bumper season for subs. It was also the earliest myself and many friends had ever picked them. First finds were in late march, which is roughly 4-6 weeks earlier than usual. First finds for Vic, Tas and ACT tend to be late April/early May. SA tends to kick off in late May/June. WA season normally starts between June and July. Depending on weather conditions, the season will generally last from 6-12 weeks. The severe frosts of mid to late winter usually bring an end to the season.

Psilocybe subaeruginosa
P1556_20-05-10.jpg

P1558_20-05-10.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Only ever take what you need. I also recommend not removing more than 50% of the mushrooms in one patch. The remaining mushrooms can spore up and keep your patch fruiting well for future seasons. Always cut the mushroom at the base of the stem so as not to remove any of the mycelium.

NO MUSHROOM IDENTIFICATION IN THIS THREAD (visit www.shroomery.org for I.D's)

NO GIVING OUT HUNTING LOCATIONS

Respect nature

Respect your body

Respect the mushroom spirit

DO NOT HUNT ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! I know farmers/wood chipped garden bed property owners who are fed up with randoms entering their property in search of mushrooms.There are plenty of parks and forests to search in and you don't need to be seen/caught trespassing with bags full of illegal fungi.

Happy hunting :)

Once winter arrives hopefully I'll have my first successful hunt! Happy hunting all

Mmhmm it's getting to that time of year again when nature provides the hallucinogenic medicine we all use ;)
Good times.

Oh yes! Well it's been raining for 3 days, the sun's going to come out fucking harsh, so I'll be out searching.
I've heard along the grape vine that there's a lot of people searching here in SE QLD after this rain, so First in, best dressed.

this rain is good for the se qld season....looks like i might be successful this year!!

Yeah we've been getting so much rain down here in South East NSW, followed by a few days of Summer weather, I've heard people have already been out searching here.

And our season usually begins in May. This weather has been shitty for Summer, but awesome for Mushrooms. I am going to have one psychedelic winter I'll tell you what.

Last edited:
I'm sad to say that the last of my harvest from 2011 was consumed a week ago. Looking forward to the cooler months ahead!

Hahaha! Sucks for down South, we up North (SE Queenslander's) are getting the best rain ever, and it's going to go on until at least Astraya Day! Any SE Queenslanders' had any luck?

P. Cubensis - Grow from cow shit, farmers are the main worry, as well as a court appearance for trespassing if the Wolf Creek bloke doesn't shoot your arse down.
P. Straphoria - Have no idea where these ones come from. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Would it be more probable that the cubensis mushrooms in SE QLD would grow after the rain or during the rain?

^ I have no experience with Cubes but I would say after rain is a better bet, however, they do rely on a humid environment so it is posible they would already have started growing without rain due to moisture in the air.

It's starting to flood, I'm afraid they'll be flooded to death D:

^ i knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww another 400mm of rain detected!!! I had a sub pop up in our garden which looks very similar to the ones posted. It will stay as a window shop item and purely gazed upon as it looks quite stunning!

Me and my mates are having tremendous finds for any wondering what the situation is like. Bags full and all our mates being shouted the goods:D We just have to buy a food dehydrator as to dry them properly and store em for the winter.

I had such a pleasurable last hunt. Took some remaining mushrooms than had a blissful walk through the fields. Beautiful day, even ate some straight out of the field. My field is right next to a train line and passengers could clearly see me with a plastic bag waving like a mental case. Hahah good times.

^ hahaha, I can't pick if there's people around, anxiety gets the best of me.

Hahah. The spot although close to people, is kinda hard to get too anyway. To me its just another middle finger up to the man=D

Does sclerotia (philosophers stone) grow here, friend of mine registered on BL was telling me about this mythical substance not long ago very eager to try it

^ they do not grow here natively, but are one of the psilocybe species that is able to be cultivated.

The situation in Queensland is real shit ATM. Rain's good, no rain's great, but the fucking rain last night ruined it for us...!

Status
Not open for further replies.