• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Questiona about kratom & using kratom to taper off methadone?

Swimmingdancer

Bluelight Crew
I have been on methadone for about 10 years and am now trying to gradually lower my dose, with the idea of getting off it completely some day if possible (although that's still pretty terrifying to me). I started on methadone at 100mg once a day and stalled for a long time at about the 50mg/day level, taken as 25mg 2x/day. I have recently renewed my efforts at lowering my methadone dose and over the past couple months have gotten it down to 36mg/day (18mg 2x/day) and just in the past few days, with the help of ayahuasca, I have been taking only about 22mg/day (11mg 2x/day). I heard that kratom can help with opiate withdrawal but I have never tried kratom before. I bought a 10g bag of powdered kratom to try it out but haven't taken any yet. I am not planning on suddenly stopping the methadone completely, but thinking of perhaps using kratom to help with the withdrawal symptoms as I continue to slowly lower my methadone dose. Ever since I went down under 55mg/day I have had constant mild withdrawal symptoms which get worse every time I lower my dose. I also experience more severe withdrawals about 9 hrs after my last dose of methadone - I am what they call a "quick metabolizer". Any advice?

Also, if anyone has successfully replaced methadone with kratom, then how difficult is to to withdraw from the kratom, and were you able to do it?

Another concern I have is that people say in low dose the kratom has a "stimulant" effect; is this effect unpleasant or anxiety-causing? What's a "low" dose?

Anything important I should be aware of regarding kratom, such as contraindications with other drugs, supplements, foods, etc?

Last edited: