• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Causes of early onset withdrawals

Cartesia

Bluelighter
OK, so I have read a few times that alcohol will bring on withdrawals faster.. never believed it until last night.
I can usually go 24 hours before i start feeling shitty, but after alcohol it was more like 12..

Another time I experienced early withrdrawals was a couple months ago when I had a minor surgery and they used fent + midazolam IV to anaesthetise me... For some reason the fent + midazolam combo made me start uncomfortably withdrawing (sweaty/unable to think straight) also, in about half the time it usually would.. This is the REALLY weird one to me, as fent is an opiate! - maybe its the low dose or something that tricks the brain? Anyone got any ideas/ or other things I should look out for? I certainly felt some glow after from the drugs, but then it faded and i was withdrawing far too soon.

BTW My addiction is to codeine so I know the dose I am taking is exactly the same, so its not just like I didnt get as high one day or something...

If you want to compare my addiction to other opiates I found that I had to take about 65-70mg of oxycodone to feel the same effect (I have one of the epic codeine-converting livers.. call me lucky... or unlucky.. I think it would be cheaper for me to take heroin but I have no connection to such things. )

I think that you may be experiencing rebound anxiety from the alcohol or benzos. That could be the whole "not being able to think straight" could very well be from the anxiety some people experience when coming down off of benzos and/or alcohol.

Fentanyl has an extremely short half-life, which is why people start withdrawing from it sooner than with other opiates.

There are definitely a number of substances and factors which can make the withdrawal symptoms from opiates come on sooner or stronger. I have found that the best way to deal with this, since it can be unpredictable, is by having an emergency stash for situations like these, but I know that for a lot of people that is easier said than done.

People - even some doctors - like to say it's just your imagination, but if you are talking about actual physical withdrawal symptoms and not just drug cravings, lack of being high, or feeling strange, that is certainly not imaginary and it's a very real fact that chemical and physiological factors can affect metabolization of opiates. Some people, known as "quick metabolizers" experience much shorter effects from opiates in general and are more sensitive to any fluctuations which could lead to changes in the duration of effects or the onset of withdrawal. If you would like more info on the science behind this let me know.

If you are very familiar with withdrawal symptoms you can usually tell whether or not it is caused by withdrawals when you are feeling sick or mentally "off". However, it is true that for some people the "come-down" or hangover effects (or withdrawal effects if you've been taking something for a while) of other substances might feel similar to opiate withdrawal and could possibly mistaken for it. However i find that unlikely. Withdrawal symptoms are pretty distinctive and I for one have always been able to easily differentiate them from being sick for unrelated reasons.

Now, what to do about it or how to avoid it? Well that can be tricky, because there are so many factors involved and it varies from person to person. Certain substances are known to put everyone into precipitated withdrawal symptoms, but there are a lot that are subjective and vary greatly from person to person. Then even with individuals the same substance could cause different effects in this regard on different occasions. I could give you a list of things that have made withdrawal come on sooner or stronger for me, but it might be meaningless to you. Quantity and numerous other factors can affect it as well.

One other thing to keep in mind is that onset of withdrawal can be affected by what kind of opiate you take, the dose you are on and how long you've been taking it and at that dose. But again, there are no hard and fast rules and it varies from person to person. Many people, for example, are told that methadone lasts for 24hrs, only to find that for them it only lasts for 10hrs, or that they were fine for 24hrs at, say, 100mg, but 50mg only lasts them 12hrs. A lot of people don't know about this, but it is scientifically documented reality.

Last edited:
wow, epic reply! Thanks..

Yeah, it definitely was opiate withdrawal symptoms... Over the past 7 years I've become pretty familiar with it :(
benzo rebound has never really been much of an issue for me despite tending to use it heavily then stop all of a sudden (get a pack of diazepam, 5 days later it's gone)

About the dose effecting the time - I definitely have found that.. I'm much better off taking one dose in 24 hours rather than 2 half-doses - even though half a dose seems to be enough to prevent withdrawal symptoms, the time a half-dose lasts is not half the time of a full dose, but more like 1/4