• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos alc% for IV use

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEazyB

Greenlighter
is 50% isopropyl rubbing alc enough to prepare 3mg clonazepam for IV use?

i know its only alc soluble but i was thinking it needed more in the ~180 proof levels of abv

Never use Isopropyl Alcohol for IV, it is very damaging to your veins just to name one reason. If you must IV your benzodiazapines (which is rather pointless givin that they have an oral BA in the 90th percentile) you want to use Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol) or just Everclear.

WP

Injecting isopropyl alcohol is dangerous/fatal. Don't do it.

ok thanks lol (harm reduction :])
i'll just pop 3mg with a beer cus i dont feel 3mg alone anymore

happy newyears

Good idea! Don't drink too much though, you'll wake up the next day and not be able to remember a thing. lol And Happy New Year to you too buddy !!!

WP

It definitely isn't worth injecting pretty much all benzodiazepines given their high oral bioavailability, certainly not worth it for clonazepam. The only exception I can think of is midazolam which has a poor oral bioavailability - for everything else, just eat (or sublingual if you prefer) it! :)

Just to add, if you need a solvent to dissolve something that isn't water-soluble, propylene glycol is a safe one to choose (it is used to administer IV diazepam in hospital for example) and is usually readily available, although this thread shows that it can be toxic in high amounts.. even so, the amounts injected when IVing drugs are tiny and it is standard for use in hospitals, so it is the one I would choose.

But yeah. Don't IV your benzos, not worth it in the slightest - check the bioavailabilities here.

Last edited:
Listen to Effie. She took the words straight from my mouth.

Bacteriostatic water wouldn't hurt.

I didn't know propylene glycol was injectable? Would the compound stay stable in that solution at room temperature? I have a vested interest in this. There's probably a Big and Dandy Propylene Glycol thread, if not than there should be.

I think of clonazepam as the methadone of benzos.
Not so much of a strong kick like xanax but it has a long onset and long duration.

Listen to Effie. She took the words straight from my mouth.

Bacteriostatic water wouldn't hurt.

I didn't know propylene glycol was injectable? Would the compound stay stable in that solution at room temperature? I have a vested interest in this. There's probably a Big and Dandy Propylene Glycol thread, if not than there should be.

It is IVable yes, it's used by hospitals to administer lorazepam IV etc - in large amounts it can sometimes be dangerous, as shown by the thread sekio made that I linked to (also see here - this paper also has a good general discussion on propylene glycol in the "Discussion" section)

The case report is of someone receiving a constant infusion of lorazepam dissolved in propylene glycol, so I don't think we need to be concerned at all about using small amounts to administer IV shots unless there is a history of kidney disease.

I know that some benzos certainly stay stable in solution at room temp, as diazepam ampoules exist and aren't refrigerated, and I know that for liquid dosing of phenazepam people dissolve it in propylene glycol, but I don't know if they refrigerate it - never looked into it in detail..

Bacteriostatic water in general is an excellent idea for IVing most things, definitely! Unfortunately most benzos are poorly soluble in water however hence the need for another solvent.. stay away from isopropyl alcohol though guys!!

Note: on further reading lorazepam ampoules (and presumably other benzo ampoules) have benzyl alcohol added to prevent bacterial growth so I wouldn't leave a solution sitting around for a long time..

Last edited:
I've clonazepam is pretty pointless. When I could still feel .25mg of clonazepam I iv'd .3mg with a threecc syringe (clonazepam dissolves .1 mg per ml) there was no rush, or sense of well being, I just felt overwhelmingly tired.. Like taking Benadryl orally.

Ive never IVed ispropyl alcohol before but ive seen people mix 70 units with their opanas and then pull it up in the needle followed by 30 units of water and Iv it like that. they say it burns for a sec or two but you def get a good rush(from the opana of course). But i always burned off the alcohol first and then shot it(alcohol extraction method). But i have seen people do it and they never died or passed out or anything.

^Just because they don't die or pass out after injecting isopropyl alcohol, doesn't mean it was a good idea. Don't do it, seriously.

Effie is dead center here.

closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.