• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Weird effects from Speed

WuFuuNuts

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

First post so bear with me! My friend got some speed a couple of days ago. He said it looks like regular old speed, foggy crystals, and tastes the same too. However, upon taking it (via oral, nasal or smoked) he said it just produces rather mild effects - followed by a HORRIBLE super rapid heart beat that lasts for like 18 hours. He sweats a lot and feels feaverish. If he does a lot in one night, his heart rate will be so accelerated after he has come down that he is sometimes concerned for his health.

Could this mean that his speed is cut with some funky thyroid-flipping pharamesutical drug? He's gotten really good speed before and was awake for 3 full nights with none of these shitty heart rate effects. What really sucks is that the heart rate keeps him from sleeping even after he's completely crashed form any euphoria the speed offers at all. It's certainly not *good* speed, but is it bad to do? The heart rate things is almost so bad he says it's almost not worth to do it at all.

He's right, that's not worth doing at all. That must be some crappy speed if it is even speed at all. Toss it I say. Tachycardia is never a good thing.

Its probably some of that shake and bake stuff thats been going around lately. That shit will kill you quick.

Ya, that's bathtub crank, not glass.

I'm not sure what the main active(s) [jesus christ & the holy eight ball] are in that crap, but tell your friend to enjoy the shadow people.

"Speed" can be almost any stimulant drug, but if the effects are unpleasant you should stop doing it.

It could just be tolerance to the "feels good man" aspects of the drug causing your ... friend to take more than usual to "feel good".

He certainly gets high from it - if he snorts a line and then smokes a dozen hits throughout the night he'll start rushing a feel like he's flying. But when that happens his heart is fucked up for like 2 days.

Also, his eyes expand a *little* on it, but once he's come down they get HUGE as saucers. Odd. He's done speed like a dozen times and is thinking that it would be better to just do some coke every other weekend like he used to.

Edit: How should his heart respond if he gets good speed (glass)? It shouldn't ever be *uncomftorably* accelerated, right? With this stuff not only is the rate greatly increased but the power of each beat is way bigger too.

The final question is is this stuff actually (more) unhealthy do to? As in worse than what average speed is.

Last edited:
What's "average speed"? Is it supposed to be methamphetamine, amphetamine, some sort of cathinone, caffeine? What are the doses?

I'm sorry, we can't really answer you definitively. If this new batch is producing a lot of cardiovascular effects then I suggest you discard it.

Actually, a thought just occured... if it's methamphetamine you're using then it's likely contaminated with ephedrine. Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine can really rack your heart rate and blood pressure up. And yes, it's normal to have an elevated pulse and such on meth.

"Glass" (methamphetamine), esp. the street variety, is incredibly unhealthy to do for these reasons... it could be contaminated with who knows what, or even be some sort of wacky cathinone...

It was sold as meth and is off-white crystals. Very good point with the ephedrine contamination... that's probably what's up. Thanks for the advice guys! Glass has been super hard to find because of the chemical crackdown...

There's no way to 'fix' this, is there? There's over 2 grams and drugs can be hard to throw away. Please forgive any stupid questions...

No, people shouldn't be turning to a barely researched knockoff drug. 4-fmp is 4-fluoromethamphetamine which is not a replacement for normal meth by any means...

There's ways to fix it but they all require solvent washes etc. It may be best to just stick to pharmaceutical amphetamines..

Is he taking his normal dose? If his increase in tolerance called for larger doses than before, the larger doses could bring on more of the unpleasant side effects. He also may not be as healthy now as he was back when he using it before, causing it to take a bigger toll on his health. Amphetamines are rather toxic, and their cutting agents can be as well.

No, people shouldn't be turning to a barely researched knockoff drug. 4-fmp is 4-fluoromethamphetamine which is not a replacement for normal meth by any means...

There's ways to fix it but they all require solvent washes etc. It may be best to just stick to pharmaceutical amphetamines..

I'm still curious though, is this significantly more unhealthy than 'regular meth' - that is, is this particularly bad to do? I know there's no average to base a guess off of, but will the highly increased heart rate and force be particularly harmful? I know this is a hard question to answer

I actually agree, and d-amp is the ultimate ultilarian catalyst imo, but 4-fmp sounds promising for something "fun" to do. I haven't even personally touched any cathinones, and on purpose.

I'm still curious though, is this significantly more unhealthy than 'regular meth' - that is, is this particularly bad to do? I know there's no average to base a guess off of, but will the highly increased heart rate and force be particularly harmful? I know this is a hard question to answer

As are many people. That's the whole thing about "Research Chemicals," there has not been enough research as to it's effects on humans. Think about all the drugs that were developed by pharmaceutical companies, tested in humans, and then put onto the market only to be recalled years down the road due to harmful/deadly side effects that were not discovered in the testing process, due to the short amount of time the subjects used it for. Now think about some scientists that skipped all of the trials, and marketed the drug without going through the proper channels. That makes the current group of users the "test subjects," only they are not being monitored in the proper test settings, with the proper testing, equipment, and data collection/sharing, and analysis.

This drug has 10 lines of text on it's wiki page, which is like 1/30th of the amount of information on pharmaceutical or even other illicit drugs. I am in no position to speculate it's harmful effects compared to those of "regular meth," and nobody else here is either, other than maybe having a bit of info about how it compared in one minor aspect or another to other drugs out there. The only comparisons in terms of neurotoxicity that I have read about 4-fma is with other RC's, which can only go so far considering the lack of info out on them.

Cool, thanks again for the great feedback. My last question would be if there are any over the counter meds that just slow down your heart rate - if the f*cking heart rate increase wasn't there this would be so much better...

^ I don't think there are. Some antihistamines can calm a person down a little by making them tired, but that will not combat the increased heart rate. There are things that should should not be taken with amphetamine, like caffeine and nicotine, as these things will cause a further increase in heart rate. Avoiding taking these things, along with lowering the dose of amphetamine, are likely the only things that can be done to minimized this side effect without the use of prescription drugs. Ideally your friend would just stop taking "speed" altogether.

It seems like you are looking for something that does not exist OTC. CNS depressants or blood pressure medications are sometimes prescribed for this, but they are not OTC.

In a perfect world....

Ya, RXd beta-blockers.

Not only remembering to eat well and drink plenty of water, but to INCREASE this of both (and in a healthy and manable way), along with getting a fat daily dose of vitamin-D (sunshine) helps just slightly too.

Um, I don't mean to be captain obvious here, but one of the main side effects of speed is an increased heart rate - soooooo that's kind of to be expected, isn't it?

It is highly unlikely that your speed (I'm assuming you were referring to methamphetamine) was cut with whatever you refer to as "some funky thyroid flipping pharm drug..." People that sell meth are going to cut their shit with the cheapest and most readily thing available that works. They're not going to go to great lengths to get some sort of expensive pharm drug to cut their meth - it's not going to save them any money. Around my parts, the most popular thing I see meth cut with now is that MSM crap. Re-rocked all to hell and stomped on - MAN do I hate that shit. Luckily I don't have to deal with that unless I am desperate (find yourself a good plug with someone who doesn't stomp all over their shit). Hell, I'd rather have someone sell me a few less points of stuff that hasn't been fucked with 327908 times as opposed to paying for full weight with a bunch of crap in it. Sometimes it takes awhile, and it definitely takes some work, but like I said - find yourself a GOOD plug and you won't have to deal with this stuff.

As for relaxing, I am a big fan of Melatonin. It's a natural sleep aid that helps you relax. When my heart is beating out of my chest and I am having trouble relaxing, I usually pop one of those, take a hot bubble bath with eucalyptus oil and concentrate on slow, deep breaths. I also breathe in vanilla and lavender (both have calming qualities - it comes in the form of something like vapo rub, I rub a little on my chest and under my nose). If that all fails, which it usually doesn't, I will take one of those night-time thera flu packets you mix with hot water. Helps with muscle aches and soreness and a sleep aid to knock me out. I hate taking those because it almost makes me feel hungover for a whole day afterwards, but if I am desperate for sleep (which I'm usually not) I'll drink one of those.

You asked: "It's certainly not good speed, but is it bad to do?"

People. Come on now. ANY street speed is going to be "bad" for you to do. Nobody is shouting "meth - it's good for you!" from the rooftops. It's one of the sketchier drugs because it is the easiest to cut, easiest to make, and therefore creates tons of possibilities in what the hell you're actually smoking (snorting, shooting, etc). If you don't like the side effects that speed causes, well - perhaps you should consider not doing speed anymore...just a thought.

From what you described, it sounded like typical, street stomped on meth. Not totally terrible, but not very good either. Everything you described - sweating, fast heart rate, insomnia - are all typical side effects of speed.

Also, you asked how to "fix" the stuff you already have.

This is a super easy thing to do, however, I can't say here because it involves a chemical reaction and I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to talk about that here.

How to do a 'wash' - I am quite sure if you looked around the old intarwebz for a few minutes, you'd get yourself a pretty good idea of how to do this. I've done it a few times, and it is really only worth it if you have a pretty decent amount of stuff to begin with, because the yield is usually REALLY low (you end up with WAY less product than you started with, and although some/most of the junk is out of there, it's still a bit of work and time for little results, however - better than ingesting a bunch of strange crap). It's a toss up, really. If you said you have two g's left, I'd give it a wash.