• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

New to site but old to methadone

methadone16

Greenlighter
Hello,I have been on methadone for 16 years straight without ever being off of the clinic.But,this shit is finally getting old.I was hoping someone on here may know something I do not.LOL! just hoping! Is there a way to get off of this shit with minimal pain? Everytime i have tried my detoxes were stopped for medical reasons.(Extremely high blood pressure that will not stabilize) I am down to 110 after years of being at 150.I can not go one whole day now without being in severe withdrawl.I use to be able to go 1 day but not now.Is there ant hope?????? Becoming desperate! Oh by the way I have not used an opiate in 15 years,when I quit oxy's were hardly even heard of. I know this is probably a waste to even ask if someone knows of something I can do.But,What is life without hope?????Please only answer if your a real live dope fiend like me.LOL!!!! I know all of the bullshit! Thanx!!!!

Oooh methadone detox is no fun. Considering your long term usage, you might want to consider going to a detox center so that you can be monitored. I'm certainly not a Dr. so I can't speak medically, just from personal experience, but you probably wont want to just stop cold turkey if you've had complications in the past. the easiest method I've seen is to taper off the methadone and decrease the dose as much as possible and then taking a combo of benzos like librium, or valium as needed (make sure your OFF the methadone before you start popping benzos though!) and a non-narcotic anxiety medication like hydroxazine, busparone, or atarax to lower blood pressure. everyones different though, I would suggest consulting with a doc before hand, Good Luck!

Hi methadone16, welcome to Bluelight! I'm so sorry to hear about how things are for you.. congratulations on not using oxy for 15 years, that's quite some achievement! I can understand you wanting to come off your methadone - I presume you've talked to your doctor abour all your options? It sounds like you may need close medical supervision as you come off it if you've had problems in the past - I certainly wouldn't recommend trying a quick detox as you've been on it for so long and have had medical problems previously..

I'm actually going to move this to the Other Drugs forum, as they have a bit more experience with methadone and detoxing. I would also recommend checking out The Dark Side forum (link in my signature) which is a place for people to get non-judgemental support and help with issues such as addiction. It's full of lovely people who have been there and can offer a lot of support and advice :) Feel free to make your own post there if you would like, or there is a heroin/opiate addiction thread which also covers methadone - link is here. Check out the TDS directory for other threads which may be of help too. Other Drugs (OD) covers the actual "mechanics" of methadone and detox, where as The Dark Side is more for emotional support and assistance.

Good luck <3

BDD > OD

edit: there is also a methadone megathread in OD - link here - which may be of help to you :)

Last edited:
Why have they kept you on such a high dosage for so long?
I don't think that will have done you any favours over the years.

Of course there's hope. It certainly won't be easy, but you absolutely can get clean if you choose to do so.

Discuss the decision with your doctor, and devise a tapering schedule. You have options, and the two of you can work together to find the approach which is best suited for you.

Any possibility of using Ibogaine? It has been used effectively for Methadone detox.

Alternatively you could have a short detox, with Benzos, Pregabalin, Loperamide and Lofexidine to attenuate the bad symptoms.

Or do a slow reduction, down to 1 mg and jump off.

If you detox you are likleey to have Post acute withdrawal, there are meds to help; and as mentioned in an earlier post, The Dark Side is a good part of BL to visiit.