Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - One-fifth of all 'legal highs' laced with controlled drugs

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Herald Scotland

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Lucy Adams

With reader comments

ONE-FIFTH of so-called "legal highs" contain controlled drugs, according to new forensic studies done by police in a new drive to identify their chemical content.

The tests also found them sold in shops in Glasgow and Edinburgh contained potentially fatal substances.

Officers at the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency have been running an "overt purchasing" scheme in which police buy substances sold as legal highs from head shops – purveyors of drug paraphernalia and herbal remedies.

Several of the "legal high" tablets tested contained paramethoxymethylamphetamine (PMMA), which is believed to have been responsible for at least 19 deaths in Europe since summer 2010.

In the new year the new legislation allowing for temporary banning orders for new psychoactive drugs will come into force. It will make it illegal for people to be involved in the supply of newly banned substances.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...al-highs-laced-with-controlled-drugs.16262681

Several of the "legal high" tablets tested contained paramethoxymethylamphetamine (PMMA), which is believed to have been responsible for at least 19 deaths in Europe since summer 2010.

holy shit

Apparently so, but not quite sure how they got away with it; PMMA is a class A drug in the UK. They may as well have substituted it with MDMA, would have been just as "legal".

Apparently so, but not quite sure how they got away with it; PMMA is a class A drug in the UK. They may as well have substituted it with MDMA, would have been just as "legal".

But a bitch to synthesize. From what I've heard, PMA/PMMA's precursors are easier/cheaper to source.

I think most of these head shops do not even know what are in there products, they wont knowingly sell illegal stuff, what kind of quality control is there? All these legal high vendors just ship out a random batch of chemicals, say its got something else in it and it only gets checked when tests like these are carried out, the PMMA is scary though.

Aren't most head shops primarily focused on weed paraphernalia and other more 'natural' themes. I can't imagine a head shop that just stocks rows and rows of RCs and powders. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of owners just stock a few RCs to get the odd extra customer, and don't know/care about what's in them.

PMMA? Are you fucking kidding me? Remember when legal highs were just harmless wastes of coin that barely got you high without killing you?

Aren't most head shops primarily focused on weed paraphernalia and other more 'natural' themes. I can't imagine a head shop that just stocks rows and rows of RCs and powders. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of owners just stock a few RCs to get the odd extra customer, and don't know/care about what's in them.

Some of the ones near are quite happy to charge £11 for 35mg of MXE :!

Some of the ones near are quite happy to charge £11 for 35mg of MXE :!

That's pretty ridiculous. The majority of their clientèle must be equally uninformed if they can actually shift MXE at that price.