• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine acetone wash - please identify residue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottono

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I have a question about some junk a friend of me once discovered after an acetone wash.

In short: an acetone wash was performed on a small sample of street cocaine of unknown quality. The cocaine was finger-tested (slick, oily), water-tested (transparent trails and dissolved quickly), bleach-tested (milky white trails and no residue), and tongue-tested (bitter, numb after a while).

Lab grade acetone was used and anhydric MgSO4 was added to the bottle beforehand to make sure no water was present in the acetone.

The sample was washed two times with the acetone, and the crystals left in the filter were collected.
The acetone used to perform the wash was left to evaporate to try and see what junk there was in the original sample.

After the acetone had evaporated, a sticky, tar-like layer stuck to the bottom of the dish. After scraping up, a very thick sticky brown substance was left over, with quite a strong smell to it, although I do not know which one.
Unexpectedly, the brown sticky stuff readily dissolves in water.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or how to get to know?

Picture over at http://ge.tt/9xkf2MA/v/0 and http://ge.tt/9QC43MA/v/0

Thanks for any information!

Last edited:
sorry but i think this will be closed. No drug ID threads aloud :(

Don't think anyone will be able to tell you from a picture

I think this might get more answers in OD so I'll go ahead and send it that way for you. If the mods there disagree they can do what they wish.

We really don't do substance ID's, but this doesn't seem the same as asking us to identify an unidentified substance, more like you're trying to figure out if this is going to be safe to use.

Don't think anyone will be able to tell you from a picture

I guess not, but maybe someone has come across a similar residue before and was able to identify it using one method or another...
Just a step in the right direction would be good!

We really don't do substance ID's, but this doesn't seem the same as asking us to identify an unidentified substance, more like you're trying to figure out if this is going to be safe to use.

That's the case exactly!

Could it be levimasole?

That seems very unlikely. Levimasole wouldn't be easily removed by performing an acetone wash because it has properties very similar to those of cocaine.

In the meantime I was able to get access to some alkaline phosphatase and a suitable substrate. The cocaine sample did not inhibit the ALKP so is unlikely to contain levimasole.

Other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.