• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

President Obama pardons drug dealers

Bluelight Crew
Obama issues 5 pardons, 1 prison commutation

WASHINGTON— President Barack Obama on Monday pardoned five people convicted of charges ranging from intent to distribute marijuana to running an illegal gambling business.

And he issued his first commutation, ordering the release of a woman next month after serving 10 years on a 22-year sentence for cocaine distribution.

The actions mark Obama's third set of pardons. He pardoned eight people earlier this year, and issued nine pardons in December 2010.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-us-obama-pardons,0,7713968.story

Why is he doing this in the first place? I'm all for legalization and regulation of drugs, so I naturally have no problem with him pardoning people for crimes that in my eyes are not crimes to begin with, but what would be his motive for doing this in the first place.

Why is he doing this in the first place? I'm all for legalization and regulation of drugs, so I naturally have no problem with him pardoning people for crimes that in my eyes are not crimes to begin with, but what would be his motive for doing this in the first place.

I don't get it either. I also don't get what the point is of pardoning people who've already completed their sentences. It's like apologizing to your dinner.

Whoopeee!!!

Let's pardon 8 people, but continue the War on Drugs, taking hundreds of thousands of people's lives, money, time, etc.

That will show them how liberal and empathetic, and loving, we are!

Whoopeee!!!

Let's pardon 8 people, but continue the War on Drugs, taking hundreds of thousands of people's lives, money, time, etc.

That will show them how liberal and empathetic, and loving, we are!

My thoughts exactly. Trying to keep the druggie vote after he fucked everyone over with the MMJ situation...

To me it makes much more sense to just legalize drugs instead of letting these people out of prison because letting them out could make the president look bad but than yet again the president might be doing this just to see how people will react

Because of all the MMJ Raids Obama signed off on ;)

It's funny how he thinks that will make everything okay. Sure, continue MMJ Raids...then pardon a convicted Cocaine dealer, that will even things out!

Where is the logic?

This from Drug War Chronicle:

So far, President Obama has pardoned or commuted the sentences of 23 people. The number of pardons issued by President Obama is small so far compared to other presidents. George W. Bush pardoned or commuted the sentences of 200 people, while Bill Clinton pardoned 459. Other presidents have also pardoned hundreds of people during the course of their terms.

Despite the accusations of communism, Obama seems pretty center-right.

Every president does this. My understanding was that most pardoned criminals have some sort of connections on the outside. The connections are put into a "favor for a favor" or "you owe me one" situation. I could be wrong about that.

Ya I cant see how he would think this could help his standing with pro mmj people. There has to be more to the story like what was said above. Those people must have some sort of connection to someone.

^^^^
I'm not very knowledgable in the way the government is ran so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the president that is head of the executive branch? Doesnt that mean that he has a say in what the FBI does? Or Is that the judiciary branch? In either case if he really supported states rights to regulate mmj and if he had any balls he would at least publicly denounce their actions. But he hasn't done jack shit. Even if he didn't order them to do it watching someone do it with out trying to stop them is just as bad as pulling the trigger. No need to defend a guy you don't even know who wouldn't give two shits about you getting locked up when you are just trying to medicate yourself naturally

No, you're right, the Department of Justice is under the authority of the executive branch (well it's technically headed by Attorney General who the Pres nominates and congress then approves of), Obama could stop this shit easy if he really wanted to.