• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Breathing on Bupe (suboxone/subutex)

PillPoppingAnimal

Bluelighter
i've been on subutex for about a year now...very hard to get off of (when i start making good money im going to take a 2 week "vacation" to rehab to get off).

now, i feel like i have very short or shallow breath...especially when i am sleeping... when i am in bed i notice that my breathing is shallow but i'm not sure how it is when i am actually sleeping.

when i wake up, i take a deep breath and it seems like i hadnt taken a deep breath in a while.

i know i should just get off of this shit but its not easy when i have a life/job to uphold.

**this is the wrong spot to put this thread i forgot about the suboxone mega thread...i don't come to this site anymore, its been almost a year probably.

Last edited:
If you're having breathing issues...it means you need to lower your dosage, shortness of breath is a sign that you're taking too much.

maybe true

but im taking about .5mg a day. maybe .6mg if i am out and dont have time to pick off that lil bit of pill.

It's just a matter of tolerance, 0.5mg is still a lot in the grand scheme of things. I would reduce your dosage and see if that helps.

true, i was down to about .3- .4mg at one point but going through those 2 hours of withdrawal b4 the next dose i couldn't do because of work. the job i have, you need to be in a good mood to perform and make money.

but i never really thought about any of this until a few months ago.

is this bad for me? do lungs repair? im not going to on this shit forever.

It's impossible to tell, there could be another medical condition going as well (and I'm no doctor).

bup is not a full-agonist, and thus should not cause as much respiratory depression as other opiates. seeing as you have been ingesting suboxone for quite a while, i conclude that your breathing problems are "all in your head."

heh, i guess that is going a little too far as you could have another medical condition which is affecting your respiratory system. i would go to a doctor, but it is safe to say your breathing difficulties are not caused by bup.

I have taken more then I should have with subs and never had real problems like you say above. With not knowing your health weight medical conditions its hard to help. Prob something else is going on. Are you on anything else?

Tell your doctor.

any chance you are mixing the sub with any other medications or chemicals?

i've been on subutex for about a year now...very hard to get off of (when i start making good money im going to take a 2 week "vacation" to rehab to get off).

now, i feel like i have very short or shallow breath...especially when i am sleeping... when i am in bed i notice that my breathing is shallow but i'm not sure how it is when i am actually sleeping.

when i wake up, i take a deep breath and it seems like i hadnt taken a deep breath in a while.

i know i should just get off of this shit but its not easy when i have a life/job to uphold.

**this is the wrong spot to put this thread i forgot about the suboxone mega thread...i don't come to this site anymore, its been almost a year probably.

I can relate to you as I have felt that exact same kinda feeling upon waking on and off subs... Like you take a deep breath as soon as you wake up but I think everyone does that because when you are sleeping your body naturally slow downs your breathing. So its probably you just be waken up and noticing your taking a deep breath while you stretch, everyone does it upon waking, most just don't realize it..

I know this is an old thread, but PillPoppinAnimal, did your breathing resolve? Did you get off sub? This is happening to me now and I don't know what to do. On a lower dose and breathing is screwed up. Had to get on a breathing machine (CPAP) for sleep.

Any updates would be appreciated. I'm now down to .5 mg or so daily. I use a CPAP machine at night because my breathing is so shallow. It all started last year. I'm 30, in good shape, 6 foot 175 lb. I shouldn't have sleep apnea to this degree, but if you google suboxone and shallow breathing, I am far from the only one.

I am hoping when I make the final jump, and after a long battle my breathing will come back.

I am considering a small stint with Kratom near the end of the sub taper. Do you guys recommend that? I also read up a bit on Nigella Sativa.

Suboxone is the most addictive pharmaceutical on the market in my opinion. I hate that I've been on it so long.