• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Neurotransmitter differences during Sleep Deprivation

Addyman

Bluelighter
Last edited:
thats so fucking interesting. haha i wanted to start a thread, Where people can try lil self experiments, For example... The overall effects, in different orders, or combos, why sleep deprived.. ive noticed when im sleepdeprived, ive found doing things ina different order has suuch a different effect....

for example, smoking a cig right after smoking 1 hit of weed. (and i mean 1 fucking hit.. i swear sleep deprived is.. FUCK! 420 i gtg

thats so fucking interesting. haha i wanted to start a thread, Where people can try lil self experiments, For example... The overall effects, in different orders, or combos, why sleep deprived.. ive noticed when im sleepdeprived, ive found doing things ina different order has suuch a different effect....

for example, smoking a cig right after smoking 1 hit of weed. (and i mean 1 fucking hit.. i swear sleep deprived is.. FUCK! 420 i gtg

You're on a good one

Makes sense. Dopamine and psychosis are connected, and after a while, sleep deprivation and psychosis are pretty much the same thing. I'm going to move this to BDD for the time being, maybe it will be moved someplace more appropriate if we get some more replies.

Not only is psychosis linked to dopamine, but the mental disorder schizophrenia is DIRECTLY linked to there being a constant excess in dopamine. This is why medications such as Seroquel are prescribed for it; it inhibits the production of dopamine. This is also the reason why many patients that are prescribed seroquel, including me (it was Rx'ed for depression though, which I really don't understand), even though I don't use it regularly (I use it as a sedative), gain weight when they first start using the drug. In fact, it's estimated that most patients will gain 20 lbs or so.

Pretty sure melatonin increases when you're sleep deprived.

Glutamate and glutamine increase after sleep deprivation (source)

GABA increases after sleep deprivation (source)

Interesting....Doug2113 and nAON have good points.

Long story short, don't get sleep deprived if you can avoid it... :)

Yeah, was gonna say that there's other theories behind schizo besides dopamine, like glutamate.. though sleep deprivation seems to have all the bases covered :p

Shit...with all the tramadol I take...I could use some sleep deprivation lol.
Dopamine heightens libido.
Serotonin decreases libido lol.
And opioids kill the production of testosterone...which affects not only your sex drive, but your performance, and how stiff it can get.

I have to say, last couple times i been up for a few days, I wasn't exactly horny =P

Doug, I knew what you meant...and, well, in the spirit of harm reduction...not sleeping to increase your sex drive is...well...one of the worst ideas I've ever heard...

Don't tell me you actually took me seriously.

I mean even if I did try to stay up to increase my libido, what good is the heightened libido if I'm gonna fall asleep on the chick?

I know you were kidding, but this is a message board, sometimes people don't always pick up jokes. The last thing I want is somebody actually taking what you said as advice. :)

Being sad, fatigued, motivated, delusional and sleepy at the same time does not sound very good...

Go to sleep... You can only feel better after feeling like that.

I guess I'm gonna have to start using code for my sarcasm.

[sarcasm]Smoking Meth and staying up for a week straight is the best way to get a hard-on if you're really just not in the mood.[/sarcasm]

You should have submitted that to the fact of the month competition :D

Being sad, fatigued, motivated, delusional and sleepy at the same time does not sound very good...

Go to sleep... You can only feel better after feeling like that.

WHY
just kidding

hm, i remember cortisol i think DECREASING during sleep deprivation