• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tolerance Across Varying Opiates

SawRED

Greenlighter
I was just wondering how tolerance and dependence carries over between different kinds of opiates. For example if you took hydrocodone one day and oxycodone the next and hydromorphone the next...etc and so forth would this help diminish tolerance/dependence. Or does it not make a difference because they are essentially all effecting the same receptors in your brain. And just for the record I'm not planning on doing this, just curious.

It depends on the person, although most people I know have nearly 100% cross tolerance between opiates.

Some opiate conversion charts/tools ask for a "percentage" of "cross-tolerance". When computing dosages, I usually ignore this function.

You'll notice that tolerance between similar opiates (for example, the "codones": hydrocodone and oxycodone and codeine) and the "morphones" (hydromorphone, oxymorphone, morphine).

But yes, you are correct, they all work on the same receptors, but there are other factors in play here. If all opiates acted exactly the same, they would all feel exactly the same.