• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MBDB dosing

Seems this is appropriate for "Other drugs" since the effects of MBDB aren't close enough to MDMA to go in "Ecstasy Discussion," and it sure as hell isn't psychedelic. But feel free to dispute that.
I cannot find information anywhere (yes, I've searched the usual suspects) concerning dosing MBDB any other way than orally.
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with any other ingestion routes, and the doses that are required from different methods?
210mg orally is quite a bit of material. Anyone tried any smaller doses through different routes with equal success?
[ 19 February 2002: Message edited by: OperatesHeavyMachinery ]

personal opinion. As I said, feel free to disagree. Seems almost closer to a benzodiazepine than a phenethylamine in effects to me. Very sedate stuff. Sort of alcohol-ey.
Not what I'd call psychedelic. But, that wasn't at all the question.
And from the link you offered (which is of course nothing new), here's a quote from Dave Nichols, inventor of MBDB:
No, absolutely not, and even less so than MDMA. MBDB has an ethyl group
attached to the side chain (see below). When you do this to an
hallucinogenic phenethylamine derivative, it completely abolishes its
hallucinogenic activity.

Completely abolishes its hallucinogenic activity with that little ethyl group, eh? And it's psychedelic? Your term "psychedelic" must be exceedingly loose.
[ 20 February 2002: Message edited by: OperatesHeavyMachinery ]

~*~BUMP~*~
One more shot. If it belongs in the other forum, so be it. Either way, an informed response would contribute greatly to the slim amount of knowledge readily available on this topic.
(teehee.. and it's still not psychedelic)

I have limited experience with Methyl-J and found that 150mg dosage works but isn't quite enough, although insuffulation provides results at 100mg. 210mg is standard dose, but 300mg can be more enjoyable than MDMA. You get quite high. I wonder if there are chronic abusers of MBDB.

Originally posted by OperatesHeavyMachinery:
personal opinion. As I said, feel free to disagree. Seems almost closer to a benzodiazepine than a phenethylamine in effects to me.
You think MBDB is closer in effect to BENZOS then psychedelics? Man, I think you're getting ripped off in what you buy as MBDB ..
Since it *IS* a psychedelic, well, that is the forum it's going to..
.. so moved ..

Still don't agree that it's psychedelic. And dave nichols, and PIHKAL, don't seem to either.
If my reference to Benzos was so off, why is there a PIHKAL entry that says, "SUBSTITUTE FOR EtOH?"
also:
"Distinct de-stressing effect, to the point where it's too much trouble to set out to do anything at all, really. There is just no drive, and it isn't even bothersome to be missing it."
and:
"I would describe it somewhat like an alcohol high without the disabling side effects of confusion, slurring, staggering and etc."
So I think this is easily debatable, and there are also entries that sound remotely psychedelic. So, I still conclude you were premature in moving the thread here. This material just doesn't have a psychedelic sparkle. And the literature seems to agree with this conclusion.
Anyway, the question has been answered. Thanks everyone!

I've tried it a few times now from 180-300mg per dose and think very little of it... It lacks the magic of MDMA and only faint similarities in trms of how you feel physically...
Also for anyway, the hangover and after-effects are very nasty and overall feels yucky to me... Leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Originally posted by OperatesHeavyMachinery:
Completely abolishes its hallucinogenic activity with that little ethyl group, eh? And it's psychedelic? Your term "psychedelic" must be exceedingly loose.

Perhaps your thinking that the words "hallucinogenic" and "psychedelic" are synonyms is "exceedingly loose". Hallucinogenic and psychedelic are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! Yes, it is true that many psychedelic drugs are hallucinogenic, but not all of them (5-MeO-DMT being a prime example of this, also marijuana for many people). If you read all of Dave Nichols' little piece on Erowid you'd see this...
MBDB has, in general, effects similar to MDMA. However, it is my impression that the nature of the effects with MBDB is much more variable. Some individuals reported that they experienced effects almost identical to MDMA, while others found the substance even dysphoric. Clearly, on average, the compound does not produce the degree of euphoria, and feeling good, that is produced by MDMA.
I don't think there can be any debate over whether or not MBDB is a psychedelic. It just is plain and simple, it's not really a manner of personal opinion.
Oh yeah and another quote from that same page: "Reports I have heard regarding MBDB suggest that it produces clarity of mind, not sluggish thinking." I definitely would say that's the opposite of any benzodiazepine I've ever taken. I'm beginning to think you may have gotten ripped off. Either that, or you have a very different reaction than most people who have reported their MBDB experiences.
[ 28 February 2002: Message edited by: ikarus ]

The reason I made a benzo comparison was due to the extreme calm and sense of well-being, it's very much a downer chem. You'll note that effect in PiHKAL. In fact, I'd categorize my experience to be like the majority of those listed in PiHKAL.
Would you say Shulgin was ripping himself off, and his test group? Sorry to inform you that it is quite possible that you're not the last and final word on all things psychoactive.
If you could take the dull-headedness out of a benzo, the comparison would be much closer.
Call it whatever the hell you want to call it. Call it drain cleaner for all the hell I care. Your comments on psychedelic vs. hallucinogenic bring to mind the fact that we're arguing a trite bit of semantic nonsense. The question has been answered, and the question was never "Is MBDB psychedelic?" I didn't ask for your psychonautical one-upmanship. It was a simple dosing question, which, as I explained, I thought was appropriate for a different forum.
Someone close this muddafugga before the *pope of dope* decides to spew again.

email murple....I know for a fact he can answer your questions... I've talked with him before about MBDB via email...

No need to email me, I'm here :)
MBDB is not a psychedelic. In fact, it was designed (by Dr. Nichols, I believe - this isn't a Shulgin baby) to be an MDMA analog that can't be legally classified as a "hallucinogen" because of its structure... I'm not sure that was successful. Its similar to MDMA in many ways, but its got an almost sedative quality to it. Personally, I didn't like it much (though I dont think I really disliked it either) but I can see how it would appeal to many people. I can sorta see how someone would compare it to benzos, though its really nothing like benzos. While it may FEEL like a sedative, you're not gonna be able to sleep on it, and it does produce somewhat MDMA-like thought patterns (though with much less clarity) rather than mental dulling. I'd consider giving it another try if the opportunity presented.
I did feel a little shitty the next day, which may have been a hangover or it may have been due to other factors. I never get hangovers from any other MDMA-type drugs, so it kinda surprised me and makes me question if it wasn't something else. I'd be interested in trying MBDB again just to see if I got a hangover, actually.
I used 180mg. I think that was an alright dose, though maybe kinda low. I'd put the dose range for this stuff at 180-200mg. Sure not the world's most cost effective drug! I'm not sure I'd recommend going over 200mg, my instincts tell me there'd probably be some body load with higher doses... though I'm just guessing. I'd want to try 200mg and see what that did before I'd consider trying higher.
I suspect a good use of this stuff would be to mix it with MDMA to modify its effects, or to stretch out a stash of MDMA. I haven't heard of anyone trying that mix yet.
In short... its interesting from an academic perspective, but kind of disappointing from a practical perspective for my purposes. It was insightful like MDMA, but the sedating quality seemed to make it hard to hold on to the insights. It probably would be good as an at-home recreational drug, but it'd be totally useless as a club drug since you'd have no energy to dance. This stuff is not MDMA, not even a decent MDMA substitute. It may have use on its own terms though, but I don't know what they are.

Agree here a good bit with Murple... In terms of producing an empathogenic state where one's thought patterns are shifted, it is indeed somewhat "psychedelic", depending on how you define it...
However what's missing is the transcendence, the blissful awareness and whatnot that goes along with MDMA or MDEA etc...
Don't get me wrong tho it's quite enjoyable, but your talkin upwards of $20/dose and the bulk price(for many grams) isn't much lower... If it were maybe $5/dose it's be just dandy to have around...

Don't get me wrong tho it's quite enjoyable, but your talkin upwards of $20/dose and the bulk price(for many grams) isn't much lower... If it were maybe $5/dose it's be just dandy to have around...
That was precisely the purpose of this inquiry.. hoping that an insufflated dose would be more cost efficient. Anyone else with experience on this?

If it's a pure compound, you could probably inject it.. but I wouldn't even know where to begin on how to guess the doses.

bump or no bump, that is the question.

still contains some valuable info