View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

N,N-DMT degradation?

GMan420

Greenlighter
How does DMT degrade under intense, prolonged heat? Would said degraded compound be safe to ingest? Thanks.

Intense, prolonged heat!? Such as what? Is it sealed from the air? Has it changed in appearance?

I'd expect oxidisation to N,N-DMT N-oxide and polymerization (to a total mess). Probably some indoleacetic acid, indoleacetaldehyde, dimethylamine, methylamine, ammonia, formaldehyde, CO2, H2O, methanol etc etc.

I can't speak to your specific circumstances, but I've definitely pulled good hits out of a DMT pipe (not stored in any special way) in the past by melting the crystal accumulated in the bulb and stem. If it is no longer powder you might have considerable difficulty handling the substance, and it may have diminished somewhat in potency, but I would be very surprised if it was harmful or completely ineffective.

The DMT was in a baggie, wrapped in tin foil, and was left in the glove compartment of a car. The car was not driven much but was left out in 70-85 degree Fahrenheit heat for almost 3 weeks. I looks very dark orange where it was more yellow before. It is also quite sticky. I'm pretty cautious about using it...

Apparently sticking it in the freezer can turn it more crystalline again, but I wouldn't expect the color to change very much. Also be aware that you need dry conditions, so apply a dessicant and air-tight container in the freezer.
Compounds like the N-oxide are colored (yellow), don't know what would make it dark orange.

I would not be surprised if you need a lot more and if the smoke is more acrid. Some people find that a problem, though everyone has to put it in perspective if you are a daily smoker for instance. Start with a normal dose though to be sure, then adjust by how much you think it has degraded.

Should be fine. Might be a bit harsh, though. If you don't want to smoke it just hold onto it for pharma/ayahuasca. You treat DMT like that again, boy, and I'll take a switch to ya.

00474-4052_zoomed.gif

Teaching a young man how to respect his drugs, courtesy of Norman Rockwell

Last edited:
Should be fine. Might be a bit harsh, though. If you don't want to smoke it just hold onto it for pharma/ayahuasca. You treat DMT like that again, boy, and I'll take my cane to ya.

Haha don't worry, it was a buddy of mine's. My demons are well treated and have stayed very potent even for a few months now. My friend is just careless and absent-minded. Oh well :/

I guess its up to you to bust a few switches over his hindquarters, then. Spare the ass whoop'n, spoil the drugs... or something like that.

I don't envy you. Remember, its more fun for you than it is for h-... I mean it hurts you more than it hurts him.