• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids w/d

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalDamnation

Bluelighter
just curious about something.
several yrs ago i had a hellacious xanax addiction and went cold turkey. it was

horrible on day 3 i could stand it no longer and went to e.r. and explained that i

was withdrawing and needed something to ease the pain. they sent a nurse in with a needle with ativan in it. the closer she came to me i noticed a look of utter disgust!

i couldnt figure out why until i looked down and realised i had my left hand gripping my right arm offering a beautiful fat vein ...damn i was embarrased.

anyway the shot helped tremendously and i went home and crashed hard.
i thought i had blew my detox by taking ther ativan but next day i was fine

and it just seemed to get better and better until i detoxed without any problems.
heres my question during an opiate detox could i take other opiates to ease the

pain if things got too bad and still detox off of the oxycodone without any problems much like the xanax ?

In honesty, opiate withdrawal suck, but aren't life threatening
I feel as if you are in opiate withdrawal and are thinking about re-dosing, you are just sick and craving. It's best to bare them as they come, as taking more will only prolong the effects

I find that oxycodone has a much powerful hold than say oral morphine or hydrocodone but that just me. I actually would take morphine to come off of oxycodone but thats just me again.

If you wanna detox off of oxycodone, you should take a lesser opiate like codeine.

Hi Eternal Damnation,

heres my question during an opiate detox could i take other opiates to ease the

pain if things got too bad and still detox off of the oxycodone without any problems much like the xanax ?
This is actually the most common way people try and get off of large opioid habits and it is called tapering. You can in fact try and perform an oxycodone taper by taking slightly smaller amounts each day, however if it is your DOC (drug of choice) it can be difficult to resist so as was recommended something weaker like codeine would be a good option because it is harder to get high on. Furthermore the drugs methadone and buprenorphine (suboxone) are also often used for this purpose of tapering as well as long term maintenance.

Since this is a very basic concept and I really it would be best for you to read up on all of this before asking too many more questions, I'm going to close this thread now. However I'll link you to the The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ which should answer all your questions about withdrawal and tapering in the first post, and give you a lot of tips on how to help with the more painful symptoms in the second post.

If after reading that you have any more questions feel free to post in that thread and we'll help you out as best we can.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions or concerns about any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.