View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Creating juvenile zombies, Florida style

skillet

Bluelighter
Fred Grimm, Miami Herald, 28 May 2011

link
They’re children of the new Florida ethic. Zombie kids warehoused on the cheap in the state’s juvenile lock-ups. Kept quiet, manageable and addled senseless by great dollops of anti-psychotic drugs.

A relatively small percentage of young inmates pumped full of pills actually suffer from the serious psychiatric disorders that the FDA allows to be treated by these powerful drugs. But adult doses of anti-psychotic drugs have a tranquilizing effect on teenage prisoners. Prescribing anti-psychotics for so many rowdy kids may be a reckless medical practice, but in an era of budget cuts and staffing shortages, it makes for smart economics.

Florida fairly inundates juvenile offenders with this stuff.

The Palm Beach Post reported last week that the Florida Department of Juvenile Justice has been buying twice as many doses of the powerful anti-psychotic Seroquel as it does ibuprofen. As if the state anticipated more outbreaks of schizophrenia than headaches or minor muscle pain.

What is so very fucked up is that even people prescribed seroquel for actual Bi-polar or shizophrenia still develop the same symptoms. Ive been on seroquel for 3 years now and have gained 40+ lbs over my normal weight and have developed facial tics. I am considering looking into a lawsuit because of this bullshit. The fact that they are giving it to kids with no problem is beyond fucked up. For some people they will be knocked out in like 30 minutes but for me it doesnt even make me tired in the least. Just very hungry and crave sugar.

yeah not suprising, seroquel is dirt cheap and quite the knock out. the only time i have taken it was in rehab because they more or less make you take it at the place i was at. after the first time i took it i felt like a zombie for the next day, from then on in i used to cheek it and spit it out when i left the nurse station.

must be awful tho, being in a cell just wacked out on that shit...seems like it borders on inhumane, its restraining the body in a chemically induced way. i understand if someone actually needs it because it does serve a purpose, but giving to juvenile inmates who are just rowdy or whatever is wrong.

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was prescribed 1mg Klonopin 4x a day and 7.5mg Zyprexa 2x a day. Needless to say taking these medications pretty much turned me into a zombie, I didn't have a short term memory and couldn't remember a damn thing, so I stopped taking them after about 2 months and started self-medicating with drugs instead. Sad that I can function better on illegal drugs than on the shit they were prescribing me.

Considering that even some parents drug their kids for quiet, it is no surprise that the state wants to do the same thing.

Mora Fiend, that is sad, but lucky that you can find drugs to self-medicate at least.
What is a real shame is that they are illegal.

Yeah it's crazy how widely antipsychotics seem to be prescribed now. And sad that they're the best we can come up with for treating schizophrenia. It seems that their efficacy is almost a side effect of the general sedation.

Do you agree with your diagnosis Mora Fiend? I don't find it hard to believe you can function better on illegal drugs, but do you find they help as much?

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was prescribed 1mg Klonopin 4x a day

4mg of clonazepam a day to someone with no tolerance, that's insane?

On the topic at hand, Seroquel is nasty shit, I've taken it a few times to try and sleep off a meth comedown, and always regretted it. Even low doses zombify me so much I always end up wishing I'd just rode out the comedown, I can't imagine being on a high dose of it on a daily basis.

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was prescribed 1mg Klonopin 4x a day and 7.5mg Zyprexa 2x a day. Needless to say taking these medications pretty much turned me into a zombie, I didn't have a short term memory and couldn't remember a damn thing, so I stopped taking them after about 2 months and started self-medicating with drugs instead. Sad that I can function better on illegal drugs than on the shit they were prescribing me.

The drugs the doctors medicate you with are made to make you into a zombie. They will never prescribe you a drug that makes you :) & you enjoy the day. They want you to be miserable & they wanna f**k up your memory & head.

Indeed. I heard of a person kept prisoner in a mental hospital(also being kept forcefully on mind-numbing drugs) because someone dropped acid in his drink during a cruise so the doctor(after they arrested him after seeking help in an "info" stand) concluded that he has psycosis, so they forcefully keep him in the closed section with only 2-3 hours a day walking outside. This is in Finland not the US tho. 8(

Yeah it's crazy how widely antipsychotics seem to be prescribed now. And sad that they're the best we can come up with for treating schizophrenia. It seems that their efficacy is almost a side effect of the general sedation.

Do you agree with your diagnosis Mora Fiend? I don't find it hard to believe you can function better on illegal drugs, but do you find they help as much?

I find that illegal drugs have less side-effects than the Big Pharma alternatives. Also I don't really agree with my diagnoses of being schizophrenic, I don't really see things that are not 'real' so to speak (OEV I guess you could call em), but I do hear things that are not 'there' so to speak.

What type of drug(s) are you talking about? Do you find them as effective, aside from the reduced side-effects?

I thought auditory hallucinations were by far the most common, though a quick search suggests visual hallucinations are actually quite common. Wish I had access to these psychiatry journals, I wonder if they're actual hallucinations, like the auditory ones, or just distortions?