• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

swayne

Bluelighter
hash/honey oil

This is the place to post questions/give advice on making hash or other extracts/concentrates of cannabis for smoking. For questions about smoking hash oil, the [MEGA]Methods of Smoking
Q: What is hash?
A:"Hashish" or "hash" is the name given to an agglomeration of the capitate-stalked glandular trichomes (the resin glands or "crystals") of the cannabis plant. These resin glands contain the highest concentration of cannabinoids to be found anywhere on the plant. Hashish generally takes the form of a brownish solid, which can range in texture from soft and malleable to hard and brittle or fluffy and crumbly. It is a concentrated form of cannabis.

Q: What is hash oil?
A: "Hash oil" is a concentrated extract of cannabis that is made chemically, rather than physically. It is a liquid that can be runny or thick, black or golden, depending on a number of factors. It can be extremely strong.

Q: How can I make hash?
A: The first hash was made by hand-rubbing. You are unlikely to want to use this labour-intensive, inefficient method. You can choose to make sieved hash or water-extracted hash. Most Western hashmakers use the water method. This results in high yields of a very potent product. However, the water washes away much of the flavour of the hash.

Q: How can I make hash oil?
A: You expose the cannabis to a solvent, then evaporate the solvent. That's it, in principle. There are many ways to make hash oil; BHO and QWISO are the most common, with BHO generally being considered a superior product.

Q: What can I make hash from?
A: Hand-rubbed hash is made from living plants. Sieved hash is generally made from flowers ("buds"). Water-extracted hash and hash oil can be made from pretty much any cannabis material, including trim that would otherwise be disposed of.

Q: So, I have to choose one of these methods?
A: Not necessarily. There is nothing stopping you from making some sieved hash, using the same cannabis to make water-hash, and then re-using it to make oil from.

Q: Why would I want to do this?
A: Some people (myself included) just prefer smoking hash to cannabis. It has a different flavour, and can have a different effect profile. Some people want something more potent than weed; Grade A bubblehash or BHO certainly fulfil this requirement. Some people (usually growers) want to make use of trim that would otherwise be thrown away.

Q: Is it difficult?
A: No!
This is just something that I have been wondering lately. The butane hash oil extraction seems very good from what I have read on several sites, and I was wondering about its practical and efficient qualities. It almost sounds too good to be true. And also, the bigger question I was wondering.......do you think it would be more economical to buy lots of schwag and extract the oil, or would it be more economical to just smoke good weed.....

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say buy good weed.

butane extraction is mostly for plant trimmings that you wouldnt otherwise smoke. its very inefficient, but since you werent gonna smoke the trimmings anyways, your not losing any money.

if your intent on trying an extraction, i would cook with weed versus butane extraction. lookup some cannabutter recipes and make some brownies.

Good stuff - but I would definietly recommend people read Phife's FAQ on Overgrow.com - because it contains a lot more safety information and makes the very important point of telling people NOT to use PVC pipes!!

They slowly disintegrate as you pump the butane through them resulting in a bit of god-knows-what being extracted from the plastic and enging up in the final result :(

--- G.

taken from that FAQ on overgrow:

It uses butane gas as the extraction solvent. Note: Some butane fuels are cleaner than others. Be safe and choose a butane fuel that has been recommended for jet torch or flameless lighters. Recommended brands include Colibri Butane, Prometheus Butane or Dunhill butane. They seem to be the cleanest and work better than others. Additionally, It’s recommended that you never use Ronson Brand butane or most of the other brands normally found at a drugstore. The only other thing needed is about $2.00 worth of PE (polyethylene) or PP (polypropylene) pipe (NOT PVC): a section 1.5 (one and a half) feet long and 1 & 3/4" diameter (outer diameter I believe), and two end caps. Threaded pipe is not necessary

http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/784

Thanks for mentioning Morrison, never knew a regular plastic pvc pipe was harmful, they actually reccomend (at many sites) using plastic pipes instead of metal ones to be sure of having no sparks flying around during the extraction. Good to know I have used a polyethylene pipe, scared me a bit when I was reading it through though. =D

Last edited:
Yeah, come to think of it the metal ones carry risk of sparks and static electricity. But it's not a terribly safe method either way - really - unless you take all the precautions :)

I was wondering - have you ever made jelly hash? That's when you just take the Honey Oil and mix it with some pure trichomes (i.e. kief or bubblehash). The result is something extremely mindblowing - although I have sadly never had a chance to try it :(

--- G.

Ooh, so that's jellyhash.. :D Yeah I've tried it, bought it at the Greenhouse but just thought it was sticky hash.

Last edited:
Well, I've never used the butane method, which seems like it would give the best product, but I have made extractions using petroleum ether, diethyl ether, ethanol, and acetone. The best result I got was using petroleum ether and washing with water. I tried dissolving the extract in acidified ethanol and refluxing but this did not seem to make the oil better. Ethanol works well enough though, especially if you have good nugs. Man that shit will fuck you up.

My ex-girlfriend said a glass burette and some angelhair will work wonders.
Also, that rubbing alcohol will produce crystals if allowed to dry by itself after cooking scratch in it, and that the crystals can be further cooked in everclear and vinegar and tea-tree oil.

Bubblehash is made with bubblebags, it`s not hashoil with kief. And I would recommend the bubblehas#1 from the 2ekamer, or de dampkring, it`s 25$/gram, but well worth it. I don`t think greenhouse has bubblehas, at least not the times I went there.

Woops yeah, meant to say jelly hash instead of bubble. They did have bubblehash last time I checked, probably a matter of what's in store and what's not..

Last edited:
Making hash oil from hash...

Hey... I was wondering if there was a way to make hash oikl from solid hash.. reg hash is kinda hard to smoke, though very well worth it.. Hash oil would be very easy to lace a clove with, and I could smoke it in public..

I was thinking dissolving X amount of hash in Y amount of ethanol, drawing it up in a clove ciggarette, and then letting it dry out... Theoretically, the alcohol should evaporate, but deposit the hash in the tobacco..

Anyone know if this is worth a shot??

a) What you need depends on the quality of oil you want. I usually use high quality isopropyl (read NO rubbing alcohol) for straight run oil, and good hash that hasn't been pressed with any crap to increase the weight and decrease potency.

This is the case with most of the hash that is consumed in countries other than the one it was produced in, it tends to get "diluted" the further it travels. If you are not sure of the hash quality, don't try to make oil, it isn't for novices. Don't throw your money away.

Another thing to consider is quantity. One gram of hash oil will take several grams of hash to produce, and even more for honey oil.

Crumble the hash into a pot, pour in some isopropyl and heat it for 30 minutes. Get some high quality filter paper and filter out the gunk. Evaporate the alcohol and there you have it. For extra purification you'll need some petroleum ether (best). General ether purification as follows.

Mix a solution of resin/isopropyl with some ether and water, then gently tip the container upside down and back. Do this about 20 or 25 times and let it stand until the layers separate (water/isopropyl with ether on top).

Siphon or pipette the ether solution off and repeat 2-3x with fresh ether. Evaporate the ether (try to salvage it if possible) and voila - smooth killer oil (If you used good hash and didn't fuck up!).

Be careful with the ether though, it's very explosive, sometimes spontaneous when it decomposes. You can go further and make honey oil with activated charcoal and very high quality filter paper but you tend to lose a substantial amount. It's usually worth it though.

b) I have heard that you can wrap it up with dry ice in some newspaper and scrape it off the paper when the ice dissolves. Also, I was told that if you put your weed in a filter and pour hydrogen peroxide through it into a pot of water and boil it down it will produce oil.

source: http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/hash004.htm

oil from leaf (refluxed)

i have alot of leaf matter and the only reasnoble thing to do is mkae oil from it.
i would do a butane extract, but there isnt any clean butane here.
a friend did a iso alcohol extract while refluxing and then refluxed again with active charcoal. he then filterd and let dry.

now, this oil was GREAT. one of the best smokes i had.

the problem is, i dont have any reflux eqipment, and im not going to invest large amounts of money on this side project. so, does anyone have and idea for some cheap solution?

ill post pics, i promise. 8)

anyone with an electric stove?

found this and i must try it, but before i waste time for days having it in a cupboard because my stove is gas, can someone else try it?

his article will describe, in detail, a technique of extracting the essential oils from hemp. The final product will be a dark, oily liquid that contains 70+% pure THC. The following steps require nothing more than simple, easy to find materials and a little time.

Advantages of THC oil:

No hot, harsh smoke to irritate your lungs

No tar to stain your teeth and fingers

Very little smell

5 times as much THC in bloodstream

Get 5 times as many "trips" per $$$ as compared to joint/bong smoking

No carcinogens to give you cancer

The list goes on and on but let's get down to business...

Materials you'll need for extraction:

A glass jar with a watertight lid (widemouth Mason jars work great)

A metal measuring cup with handle (2 cup capacity recommended)

Bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear brand is perfect)

Any quantity of pot, any strength (from a gram up to a few ounces)

A 1' X 1' piece of sturdy cloth (t-shirt material works fine)

An eye-dropper bottle (contact lens type bottles work great)

The use of an ELECTRIC stove and its overhead fan

Step 1

You'll need to chop up your weed and pick apart the buds until it looks like grass clippings. Remove any seeds, they have their own oils which we don't want. Dump the powdered pot into the mason jar and pour in just enough grain alcohol so the weed particles float freely in the mixture. Place the lid securely on the jar and shake a few times.

Let this mixture sit for a few hours, shaking it every once in a while. The alcohol should have turned a dark green color and when shaken should form colorful, oily bubbles on top.

Place the sturdy cloth over the metal container and press the cloth down to form a funnel. Carefully pour the contents of the mason jar onto the cloth which is in the metal cup. Make sure to get most of the weed particles out of the jar. Gather up the edges of the cloth and squeeze the remaining liquid out of the lump of weed into the metal cup.
Step 1a

You should now have a quantity of dark green liquid in your metal measuring cup. It is possible to extract more THC oil from the remaining pot. I recommend performing Step 1 a second time immediately after completing it the first time. No sense throwing away the good stuff. Dump the pot from the cloth back into the mason jar and repeat step 1. You now have twice as much liquid in your metal cup upon repeating the first step.

Step 2

Be sure to use an electric stove in this step! (If you don't have one, read Step 2a)

Take the metal cup containing the green liquid over to the stove. Turn one of the electric eyes on LOW setting and place the metal cup on that burner. I highly suggest using the fan over the stove to remove the alcohol vapors during this entire step. Watch the liquid closely. It should only boil slightly, never raise the burner temperature above MEDIUM LOW. We need the liquid to cook down until it's slightly thick. This may take some time but be patient.

Once the liquid starts to thicken and turn darker, remove it from the heat. Never let it get too thick or it'll be too difficult to work with. If you do accidentally make it too thick, just add a small quantity of the grain alcohol to the metal cup and swirl it around till it's thinner.

Let it cool down to room temperature inside the metal cup. It should be runny enough to be poured into the eye-dropper bottle easily. You now have your final product: THC oil. It's necessary to have some grain alcohol left in the resulting liquid so it's easy to work with. This will not affect the potency of the oil.

Step 2a

This part is for the people with gas stoves. Do not use a gas stove to cook down alcohol! The vapors will explode! You'll have to have patience to complete this step. To get a final product just put the metal container in a place where it won't be disturbed. The alcohol will have to evaporate on its own. If at all possible keep it in a slightly warm area with decent ventilation. It may take days.

Once it's evaporated test to see if it's too thick. If it is, pour a small amount of grain alcohol in the metal cup and mix. Pour the liquid into your eye-dropper bottle.

Smoking Instructions

(NOTE: When smoking this oil in any form, do not let it come into direct contact with a flame. That destroys much of the THC and defeats the purpose of this whole project.)

You have the oil in the eye-dropper bottle and you're ready to smoke some? Clean up your mess first. You don't want to have to explain why a rag of wet marijuana is lying on the kitchen table do you? Wash out the jar, the metal cup, and throw away the cloth. Throw away the weed too, it's useless. Use a water/alcohol mixture to wash out the jar and cup.

Materials you'll need for smoking:

A 5" X 5" piece of aluminum foil

A Bic pen tube (take out all the stuff until it's hollow)

A stationary flame source (a butane torch works best, but you can use a candle, lighter, etc.)

The THC oil in the eye-dropper bottle

Make a "spoon" out of the aluminum foil. This takes some practice but you'll get a design that works. Put 6-8 drops of the oil into the "spoon" and hold it about 4" over the flame. It should begin to boil slightly. Don't let it get too close to the flame just yet. It'll cook down and turn very dark brown and begin to make crackling sounds. Now you should lower the spoon so the THC is directly over the flame. The spoon is still face up, we're just really putting the heat to it. Hold the Bic pen tube about 1" above the dark brown area and inhale through the tube. You'll see a white smoke come up from the dark area, this is vaporized THC. Once you have a lungfull, remove the spoon from the flame. You'll feel the effects almost instantly. Exhale and place the spoon back over the flame and inhale again.

Once you've smoked what's in the spoon, put a few more drops in and repeat as many times as you want. On occasion I've smoked so much at one time that all I could do was lay on the floor with a stupid look on my face. Also, I've noticed I get a bad case of "cotton mouth," it's normal.

If you're a smoker, you can put a few drops into a cigarette, let it dry, and feel free to catch a buzz without the smell.

Have fun and be safe!
Matt Thomas - [email protected]

Hi, that sounds great & very easy, but I was wondering, would this also be possible with leaves?
Cause your method is fool-proof! Thanks a lot.

Ps. I don't recommend smoking anything off aluminum foil ... it's been linked with Alzheimer's ... just save some buds & place a few drops on each joint for that extra nice clean high!

Ps. I don't recommend smoking anything off aluminum foil ... it's been linked with Alzheimer's ... just save some buds & place a few drops on each joint for that extra nice clean high!

^^ Good advice, don't smoke it on tin/aluminium foil.

gugglebum said:
Hi, that sounds great & very easy, but I was wondering, would this also be possible with leaves?
Cause your method is fool-proof! Thanks a lot.

This would be possible with every piece of plant matter, you'll only get less as with buds, but that would be obvious as the leaves contain less cannabinoids. Another thing, with the alcohol you'll also extract the chlorophyl out of the weed, especially with leaves. The purity goes down and taste will be a little bit harsher, but for the rest it's a pretty good method to make hash oil, yes

edit: To reply to hacksore, as explained in that article you could let it sit there (in a well ventilated area, prefferably warm to speed up the process) and let it evaporate off without getting into trouble of loosing potency or igniting the whole thing (if you decide to cook it off). Keep this brew away from open flames or sparks, it is extremely flammable. Overgrow has another great FAQ on this subject, click here to read it. They use an electric frying pan.. :)

Last edited:
I am interested to know what people thyink of the hash oil high compared to the high off buds. My good friend tells me it is an a lot less paranoid high than buds.. what do people think from experience?

Making Cannoil with NO heat?

Hi everyone - I am about to try putting weed into olive oil and letting it sit for a few days...

everyone says you need heat but I read a few sources that say you can do it this way - anyone tried this before?