Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Functional addicts

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Holding It Together While Falling Apart
Kristen McGuiness
The Fix

At the bitter depth of Emily’s drinking problem, she was married to a successful writer, raising a nine-year-old child, and volunteering as a part-time teacher at her daughter’s school, all while running the household finances. “We had a million-dollar house, were part of the community, and I believed that as long as my child was well-dressed and doing well and I made it to her little events, I was doing okay,” she says. “Never mind that every time I would drop her off at school, I rushed to the liquor store to pick up a fifth of vodka.”

Emily is not alone. According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) 2007 study, 19.5% of all alcoholics—nearly four million people—are of the “functional” subtype. These high-functioning alcoholics are able to create enough manageability within their home or professional lives that the consequences of their drinking are often too subtle or well hidden for them to experience the turmoil that forces many other alcoholics into submission.

According to Dr. Mark Willenbring, a nationally recognized expert on alcohol abuse and the former director of the NIAAA's division of treatment and recovery research, “Alcoholism isn’t what it used to be. We think of alcoholism as this really dramatic, debilitating disorder, but actually there is a wide range of alcoholism, from moderate drinking to at-risk drinking. Every alcoholic isn’t Mel Gibson or Lindsey Lohan—people who are really train wrecks. Many high-functioners try to set limits but inevitably they go over them. They want to quit but they can't. They might suffer from hangovers, insomnia, or heartburn, but they don’t experience the same life-disrupting problems that befall other addicts. So unless they get a real wake-up call, they just end up pursuing the same path.”

Link!

Ftr, that site, The Fix, exists just to target the addict/user demographic with content they may be interested in. They make money from the advertisements.

I have an older cousin that a functioning alcoholic. Hes a great chef at a restaurant & has 2 kids, putting 1 threw college. He has a nice house & gets drunk every night. If you go to his house at 6pm, hes usually drunk 80% of the time. Hes asleep by 8pm since he has to be up early.

I guess there are functional addicts of any drug all around us, we just dont know about them because they are so successful & handling there drugs so well.

My wife is a functional addict.
She drinks caffeine every day - even around the kids - but manages to hold it together.

My wife is a functional addict.
She drinks caffeine every day - even around the kids - but manages to hold it together.

I've been a functional caffeine addict since the fourth grade, when I first started my coffee-a-day habit. I gotta have my fix, but I manage to hold it together.

That damn Coca-cola was what got me started. That little buzz just wasn't enough. I just had to step it up to coffee. Coca-cola is such a gateway drug. This never would have happened if I had just stayed on 7-up. Coca-cola should be banned. For the children.

y'all are triflin' with that coffee shit. the real addicts go for espresso. ;)

This is totally me. I go to university and work full time. I smoke weed, drink heavily, do blow regularily, ketamine, mdma.. somehow I can get good grades and move up in my job. I do feel the burn eventually and use the weekends to sleep into the late afternoon. I need to stop but I'm addicted to action. Have gone out every day for the past I dunno how long and don't come home till 5-6am, or sometimes not at all, then have to work at 11:30. But I still pull it all off.