• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana Advocates Sue to Force Legalization in All 50 States

villian

Bluelighter
Marijuana advocates filed a suit in a U.S. Circuit Court today to force the Obama administration to answer a petition that seeks to have the federal government recognize cannabis as a drug with acceptable medical uses.

The suit wants the court to order the administration to answer the original request within 60 days. This after nine years of stalling on the matter, according to California NORML, which is party to Monday's suit.

If the coalition of pro-pot organizations is successful, marijuana would be taken out of the federal Schedule I category -- the group of outlaw drugs with no legitimate uses, to which cocaine doesn't even belong -- and, presumably, made available as a medicine from coast-to-cost. Wishful thinking?

According to a statement, the Coalition for Rescheduling Cannabis says the administration (first Bush's, now Obama's) never responded to its 2002 petition to reschedule marijuana, "despite a formal recommendation in 2006 from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the final arbiter in the rescheduling process."

The case has been going on so long that one of the patients named as a plaintiff has died, according to the coalition.

full @ http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/05/medical_marijuana_us_lawsuit.php

I think that this is good.
I believe that it is long overdue.
I hope it will succeed.

Hell fucking yea.

I mean they cant deny that it has medical use. So this has got to pass. Right?

I think that this is good.
I believe that it is long overdue.
I hope it will succeed.

but alas, it will not succeed. EVER. Unless we (our generation 20-30 year olds) start getting involved DAMNIT! get off your asses and start being ghost's to the political top and lets change this SHIT people!

but alas, it will not succeed. EVER. Unless we (our generation 20-30 year olds) start getting involved DAMNIT! get off your asses and start being ghost's to the political top and lets change this SHIT people!

Absolutely 100% true and THANK YOU for saying so! I have been involved in community activisim since I was 18 and voting on things that will change the laws and stances in the community I live in and it bothers me to see people my age not getting involved.

I'd love to see this happen and would get involved to whatever extent I can. I'd like to think that w/ Osama gone they could focus on this but the cynic in me feels Obama's administration would be like "Well now we're focusing our efforts on a 'war on rogue weather'. The recent crop of tornadoes is a threat to America's freedom and the family unit. He'd then expand the DEA's authority to imprison storm chasers for creating a demand for hostile weather systems."

^ schedule II could make it universally available medicinally though.. I know if a shrink could prescribe it to me they would. Adderall is.schedule.Ii also and look how many children it gets passed out to like candy.

Besides... maybe if we're lucky they will make it schedule.IV... very easily could go there IMO. Abuse/addiction potential can't be.more than a benzo!

Too many people our age worry too.much.about britney spears, lady gaga, rihann etc. Not about what the government is.doing. shit half the people that age can't find afghanistan on a map 8o

Besides... maybe if we're lucky they will make it schedule.IV... very easily could go there IMO. Abuse/addiction potential can't be.more than a benzo!

dronabinol is in schedule III, and DEA will argue that marijuana has a higher abuse potential than THC

This is a huge mistake IMO.

While it's likely that this will win in the ninth circuit of appeals (I assume it's in that court's jurisdiction because California was mentioned), I find it very doubtful that the U.S. supreme court would agree with this. Consider the the supreme court's recent history of rulings; it has been moving steadily towards the right wing for the past several decades.

If the supreme court takes this case, and rules against legalization, that would be a big setback for the cause. Medical marijuana legislation at the state level would go from being of questionable legality to clearly unconstitutional. I think the pro marijuana forces would be better off finding a champion in Congress, and trying to pass legislation that would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substance Act.

I'd love to see this happen and would get involved to whatever extent I can. I'd like to think that w/ Osama gone they could focus on this but the cynic in me feels Obama's administration would be like "Well now we're focusing our efforts on a 'war on rogue weather'. The recent crop of tornadoes is a threat to America's freedom and the family unit. He'd then expand the DEA's authority to imprison storm chasers for creating a demand for hostile weather systems."

Yea, like America doesn't have any other issues now that Osama is gone8) Economy, ridiculous unemployment rate, fear of terrorism, etc.

Sorry, legalizing marijuana isn't exactly on the top of the administrations agenda at the present moment.

You know, I never really understand that attitude. People always act like Prohibition is the end all. Sure it's been around for all our lives, but in the grand scheme of things? The first state to ban marijuana was California in 1913 (or 14, different sites say different) Not even a hundred years ago. The federal government effectively banned it with the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, 74 years ago. I may not see legalization in the near future, but I find it funny how people act like it could never happen. In the whole of human history, a hundred years is nothing.

Too many people our age worry too.much.about britney spears, lady gaga, rihann etc. Not about what the government is.doing. shit half the people that age can't find afghanistan on a map 8o

^^^^^

100% correct.

Our government has most brainwashed with what you've stated above. They put huge stories about what Mel Gibson did to his wife on front cover & other big stories that we could care less about, so we are pre-occupied & dont see the b.s. the government is shoveling.

You know, I never really understand that attitude. People always act like Prohibition is the end all. Sure it's been around for all our lives, but in the grand scheme of things? The first state to ban marijuana was California in 1913 (or 14, different sites say different) Not even a hundred years ago. The federal government effectively banned it with the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, 74 years ago. I may not see legalization in the near future, but I find it funny how people act like it could never happen. In the whole of human history, a hundred years is nothing.

God I miss the 19th century. Remember when you could buy all the laudanum you wanted at the apothecary? Remember when they sold morphine at the saloons?

you got me all nostalgic now

There shouldn't even need to be anything "worked" on by the gov't to make marijuana legal. It should just be made legal, 100%, and then should go even further where health insurance companies and employers can't discriminate against someone who uses marijuana. I would just make drug testing illegal straight out.

Last edited:
According to a statement, the Coalition for Rescheduling Cannabis says the administration (first Bush's, now Obama's) never responded to its 2002 petition to reschedule marijuana, "despite a formal recommendation in 2006 from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the final arbiter in the rescheduling process
Now I'm not to sure on what the process is for getting a bill or whatnot to reach congress but it seems, at least implied, in that sentence that the DEA has the final say before this can reach anyone who can do anything.

The DEA head commanders who actually have a say would never put there own men out of a job as easy as making pot busts. Looking at it from there perspective, its there own drive to lead a life with money and this is what they do to do that. All of us out here do something for money. We have to in todays society and if you personally dont yet, one day you will but i digress. Basically if pot were legalized im sure alot of people would be out of a job and NONE of us want the unemployment rate to go even higher. And even more so if its the DEA that has the final say if this petition can reach obamas administration.

Plain and simple it would be illogical for the DEA to put themselves out of a job.

sorry if this is hard to read...

There should even need to be anything "worked" on by the gov't to make marijuana legal. It should just be made legal, 100%, and then go even further where health insurance companies and employers can't discriminate against someone who uses marijuana. I would just make drug testing illegal straight out.

With regards to your drug testing post I totally disagree with you.... There are many workplaces I feel drug testing should be mandatory... Driving a school bus, flying a plane, surgeons etc etc when other peoples lives can be at risk its a whole other story...

I don't know any corporate job that allows someone to be intoxicated while working the same should apply to the extremely life depending jobs. My own job has a no intoxication policy(I am a waiter though) that hasn't stopped me from having a few on my lunch break.... If I cant listen to the guidelines in a job that doesn't give drug testing what do you think will happen in a job more serious if no drug testing is allowed... people are human people have addictions and people can be dishonest. Not everyone can be responsible drug users and with other peoples safety at issue I for one am happy about drug testing..... with that said I think they do go overboard sometimes i.e. high school students tested because they want to join glee club or football etc.... Getting hurt at work then requires a drug test........ weed after all can stay in your system for weeks and even if you haven't smoked in days then get hurt you may not be covered by the insurance policy......... to me it should only be required of a drug test if there is reason to give one in these circumstances..... so while yes I feel drug testing is a needed evil their are many things flawed with the way its being enacted today.....