• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marine Survives Two Tours in Iraq, SWAT Kills Him

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
"When I came out the officers dragged me through the kitchen and took me outside, and that's when I saw him laying there gasping for air," Vanessa Guerena said. "I kept begging the officers to call an ambulance that maybe he could make it and that my baby was still inside."

The little boy soon after walked out of the closet on his own. SWAT members took him outside to be with his mother.

"I never imagined I would lose him like that, he was badly injured but I never thought he could be killed by police after he served his country," Vanessa Guerena said.

The family's 5-year-old son was at school that morning and deputies say they thought Guerena's wife and his other child would also be gone when they entered the home.

Guerena says there were no drugs in their house.

Deputies said they seized a "large sum of money from another house" that morning. But they refused to say from which of the homes searched that morning they found narcotics, drug ledgers or drug paraphernalia. Court documents showing what was being sought and was found have not been made public. A computer check on Guerena revealed a couple of traffic tickets and no criminal history.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/16/marine-survives-two-tours-in-i

Another victime of the drug war - even though he apparently didn't have any drugs.

Cases like this are so infuriating. It's a glaring affront to living in a supposedly free society, one with certain unalienable rights guaranteed by the constitution. The "war on drugs" has set the precedent for police to violate the fourth, fifth, sixth and eighth amendments of the bill of rights. It's nothing more than police state thuggery wrapped in a message of "think of the children" and propaganda.

I really wish the mainstream media would pick up and run with more stories such as this (unfortunately, there are plenty of them). Maybe then people would wake up to the injustice called the "war on drugs." I think if more people simply knew about: search warrants for entire blocks, asset forfeiture even when there is no conviction, "no knock" searches (i.e. home invasions) etc. there would be a real demand for change. This is not even to mention the financial reasons why this is horrible government policy.

It's nothing more than police state thuggery wrapped in a message of "think of the children" and propaganda.

QFT

" I think if more people simply knew about: search warrants for entire blocks, asset forfeiture even when there is no conviction, "no knock" searches (i.e. home invasions) etc. there would be a real demand for change. This is not even to mention the financial reasons why this is horrible government policy.

I appreciate your optimism here. I am sometimes optimistic like this. Other times, I feel that nothing could break through the barrier to rational thinking after bombardment of propaganda since day 1 of this life.

When I am pessimistic, I also think that it is too easy for the gov. All they have to say is that "it is part of the fight against terrorism" or "it is for the good of society" or "it is based on healthy family values" or any other similar catchphrase, and the masses head straight back to their normal lives.

why does it seem like half the threads in this section should be taste-less jokes and not news reports on what actually happening in the world but instead bull shit like this grows like weeds

I have a soft spot for Marines, I respect them more than any other branch of the military (I am biased I know) and to see one get gunned down by some poorly informed SWAT team is enough to bring a tear to my eye.

So much unnecessary death, and for what? To stop people from using drugs? It's apparently not working too well considering a record number of teenagers have admitted to using drugs in recent years as shown by recent 'drug census' surveys. I don't understand why this war is needed, I cannot see the logic behind it. Sad story.

According to that he was stood with an assault rifle in his hand, if that shits true mad respect to the guy. He had family defence locked down!

Bunch of people come busting into your home, you dunno whats going on if you got a gun you'll grab it....

Really feel for the guy though. RIP

According to that he was stood with an assault rifle in his hand, if that shits true mad respect to the guy. He had family defence locked down!

Bunch of people come busting into your home, you dunno whats going on if you got a gun you'll grab it....

Really feel for the guy though. RIP

I'm pretty sure it's not too unreasonable to believe a home invader could easily impersonate police officers doing a raid.. As a matter of fact I read a story earlier this year where an arizona woman did that very thing, conspiring with some other minutemen, breaking into some hispanics home impersonating ICE officers, then shooting a little girl. They weren't even illegal or anything.

I mean somebody who doesn't do anything illegal would probably be suspicious of why they are being raided by police, if they haven't done anything wrong. I never possess or sell anything illegal(shit like this gets me too paranoid to even THINK about it :\), so I know I certainly would think something was off if the police randomly kicked in my door. The possibility of it not being a police mistake, but instead a home invasion by heavily armed criminals would definately cross my mind.

Especially if I was awoken at 4 AM by a door being broken down. WTF. Whatever happened to knocking first? Are they really so worried that they might flush a small amount down the toilet or what? I don't understand... How many pounds of drugs could possibly be flushed down a toilet, in 60 seconds? An oz or two? A few pills? I don't think anything that could be flushed so quickly is worth breaking into somebody's home with SWAT at 4AM... Couldn't they just shut off the water valve, then knock? Give the person at least a minute to get to the door, THEN break down the door? IDK how far the dope is going to get without water, but if they are able to destroy evidence, it won't be enough to be worth the whole risky/dangerous raid process IMO.

wtf?

Are they really so worried that they might flush a small amount down the toilet or what? I don't understand... How many pounds of drugs could possibly be flushed down a toilet, in 60 seconds? An oz or two? A few pills? I don't think anything that could be flushed so quickly is worth breaking into somebody's home with SWAT at 4AM... Couldn't they just shut off the water valve, then knock? Give the person at least a minute to get to the door, THEN break down the door? IDK how far the dope is going to get without water, but if they are able to destroy evidence, it won't be enough to be worth the whole risky/dangerous raid process IMO.

just saying... in Jersey they do that: shut off the water before raids. Some friends that used to hold stashes would keep a Home Depot orange bucket full of water by the toilet.

$3.4M settlement in deadly 2011 SWAT raid near Tucson

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/cri...cle_832b91ca-5b21-517d-bf8d-124008f63529.html

The family of a man killed in a barrage of gunfire during a SWAT raid at a home southwest of Tucson has settled a lawsuit with four police agencies involved in the operation.

The $3.4 million settlement with the family of Jose Guerena will end a two-year legal battle between his wife, Vanessa, and Pima County.

The settlement includes Marana, Oro Valley and Sahuarita, which had officers on the SWAT team, officials confirmed on Thursday.

Guerena, 26, was shot and killed by SWAT team members on May 5, 2011, when they raided his house.

The former Marine had been asleep after working a night shift and was awakened by his wife, who thought intruders were in the yard. He was holding an AR-15 rifle when he was shot.

A spokeswoman for the Pima County Sheriff’s Department disagreed with the decision to settle, but hinted a prolonged trial could wind up costing taxpayers even more.

“The Pima County Sheriff’s Department strongly believes the events of May 5, 2011, were unfortunate and tragic, but the officers performed that day in accordance with their training and nationally recognized standards,” Deputy Tracy Suitt wrote.

continues: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/cri...cle_832b91ca-5b21-517d-bf8d-124008f63529.html

Shit dude, if people dressed in black carrying MP5s were coming in my house I'd grab a rifle too.... no knock entries are such bull shit.

^^^yes. Yes they should. I grow more and more scared as I hear about these stories.