Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ecstasy And Agony on ABC

PARACAPS

Bluelighter
Did anyone by any chance catch "Ecstasy and Agony" on ABC which was aired midnight Wednesday.
An extremely well documented program on Tim Lawrence inadvertent discovery of "mdma" which relieves Tim's symptom.
Here is a small byte
"However, within 90 minutes of taking an Ecstasy tablet, Tim is able to get off the floor and perform backflips, somersaults and swallow-dives in a gym. The trouble is, of course, that Ecstasy is dangerous and illegal - a Class A drug deemed of no therapeutic value".
I did however find a little disappointing to see that scientists were quit skeptical to begin with believing it was a case of 'placebo effect' (belief in the pill working is strong enough to make it happen).

This feature documentary was also shown ages ago on the ABC around May 2001:
-->> Check here for original thread <<--
I also made reference to this documentary in a few posts that popped up about a year after, due to some newspaper articles questioning the old myths of links between MDMA and the dopamine system and Parkinson's Disease. (*)
The 27th September 2002 saw the publication of a Science journal article by Ricuarte et al., which presented the conclusion that even one MDMA dose can increase the risk of developing PD. This thread discusses the article and the questionable nature of the conclusions drawn from selected data. A post in that thread by JB also contains a balanced news article that refers to the conclusions of Ricuarte and co-workers and says that the real answers are elusive. (*)
Hope that helps people who found the ABC/BBC special interesting. Please feel free to check out the earlier threads on this topic, and/or BUMP them in preference to this one. Since this issue is over 12 months old, I'm not going to lock this thread immediately... but there are good critiques of the documentary and supporting research around here for interested readers.
BigTrancer :)